Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue and Garry Aurora Caribbean cruise Nov 22

Post by Suekersh »

Further update from Sue and Garry.

Sunday, 27 November 2022 - Grenada

The forecast was for high temperatures with clouds, sun and some liquid sunshine throughout the day. This island is very green and often when there is a breeze the smell from the spices growing in the rain forest waft down to the port area. Today there was no breeze just very still and hot as the sun tried to break through the clouds.

There was no rush to get off the ship as it was a Sunday very little would be ope. Garry got the laundry up to date before we had a
walk out to the port shops. Most were open but sone of the more select shops had stayed closed.
We walked through the tunnel to the marina area but again there was nothing open, not even a bar. The bar in the port area was open but every seat was taken so we made sone small purchases and returned to the ship for lunch.

There was some Liquid sunshine during the day. It we managed to miss it. It was very hot and muggy.

The trip I had booked the Rhum Runner set off at 2 p.m. The rain stayed away for the whole trip. I sat up stairs on the open top deck for a seat with the views. It is a real party tour with the Steel band playing after the Captain had set sail and done his safety briefing. The rum punch flowed well both on the boat and at the beach with the Rum man filling our cups up regularly.
The sea was lovely and warm and I did a short recce with my snorkel before I had any more rum punch. There were a few around but nota many as I remembered from earlier this year.

We had an hour and half at the beach and it passed so quickly. The party started again as soon as we left the beach and the passengers on Aurora could hear us arriving back from far away.

I showered and started preparing for dinner but instead led on the bed and didn’t move again all night. Perhaps the Rum was stronger than I thought.

Monday, 28 November 2022 - Barbados our final Caribbean port.

The plan for today was to get a taxi to Harbour Lights but after yesterday I decided to have a relaxing day on board as I knew it would be quiet and peaceful with the majority of the passengers getting off here.

We did disembark to have a look round the terminal and stock up on cabin supplies, but weren’t out long.

Lots of new crew were embarking and many leaving to fly back to the UK then onwards to their homes.

Barbados is not a pretty port and is a busy working port so it wasn’t quite the peaceful day I hoped for, but the sun was hot with a nice breeze.

We had booked the Beech House for dinner expecting to see the sailaway from there but the ship had a late stay here and we didn’t sail until 9 p.m. It was a lovely meal and I had my favourite Seafood Hanging Kebab.

We are now on our second sea day of six to Praia Vittoria in the Azores. The weather is fabulous so far so good.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning,here is a further cruise update from Sue and Garry.

6 Sea days to Praia Vittoria in Azores
Once again all the sea days blur into one. We were so lucky with the weather and once again our days from early morning were spent on the aft deck on sun loungers. If the weather had not been as good I would have tried out the different activities going on around the ship but I much prefer being outside reading, and chatting whilst soaking up the rays. We keep reading about the cold weather at home.

We have had some great entertainment on board for the homeward section with Neil Lockwood the front man of ELO 2 performing. Two different shows.
The Headliner’s performed their Top of the Billboards. Such a talented group of young singers and dancers. Their contract is up soon and they will be moving on between now and 6 January when we board Aurora again.

Pulse the resident group on board disembark after this cruise but we were happy to hear that they are returning on 6 January for another contract.

The first three evenings of the crossing were still warm enough to sit outside for a drink under the stars.

Today was the first day where although we sat outside we were fully clothed most of time. I spent the morning with Clothes on, then Clothes off followed by towels on the off as the sun was either out and hot or even slight cloud covering meant the temperature dropped considerably.

We suspected there might be a riot today. The satellite system was lost two days ago which meant no sport on tv. This morning the ents Co ordinater Fi announced at 11 am that unfortunately despite technicians working round the clock to solve the problem it hadn’t been fixed and it was unlikely that any football matches would be shown. Miraculously just before noon I walked through Champions and all the TV screens were on and showing sport.
No announcement was made that the problem was sorted but the good news soon spread around the ship. Much relief for everyone and particularly the bar managers who must have been concerned about the impact on their alcohol sales.

The Headliners performed their Christmas show Deck the Halls. The ship is looking very Christmassy now.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

No football on a cruise. My idea of heaven. :lol: :lol:

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

My idea of heaven? No football at all. :relaxed: