Fjords and Azura mumblings

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Fjords and Azura mumblings

Post by Emrobo »

Just a mumbling from us and any input from you lovely people.

We have narrowed which itinaries we would like to consider for next year

One is a week fly med in April, or the other is the Fjords in July (has to be school holidays)

For the 4 of us it is going to cost approx £2600 for the week in a high grade inside cabin (going to struggle as we usually enjoy balcony but it is either keep it cheap or don't go)

We have also found a week all inclusive in May holidays for approx £2000 or July for £2800 or we can hire a villa etc for approx £2500. These will give us (hopefully) a good sun holiday, and I feel if we pay that kind of money we should have some sun!! However we really want to go to the Fjords and try Azura.

Can people tell me about your cruise to the Fjords and Azura. Is the Fjords child friendly to take what will be a disabled 6 year old and a 4 year old? What is the weather like in July too?

We keep going around and round in circles on what to do.

I know this doesn't probably seem like a lot of money to some, but it is for us, and we would like to do the Caribbean over Christmas next time so would like to save for that too. Plus we have just got off Oceana last week sailing 2 weeks in the canaries and it was £3300 for the four of us with a balcony cabin, so I can't help but compare prices (however this was out of school holidays so I appreciate it will be more expensive in school holidays)

I know we can only make the decision but would appreciate any advice or input...told you it would be my mumblings!!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Fjords and Azura mumblings

Post by Manoverboard »

When our children were that small we couldn't afford to cruise anywhere but if that had not been the case the very last place we would have taken them to would have been the Fjords ... Azura would however be an ok choice.

For greater freedom for them and more relaxation for you we would opt for the villa and maybe take them cruising to the Fjords when they are older.

Decisions, decisions eh :)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Manoverboard wrote:
When our children were that small we couldn't afford to cruise anywhere but if that had not been the case the very last place we would have taken them to would have been the Fjords ... Azura would however be an ok choice.

For greater freedom for them and more relaxation for you we would opt for the villa and maybe take them cruising to the Fjords when they are older.

Decisions, decisions eh :)
oh yes decisions decisions!! Such a tough one lol

I just don't know if I fancy sitting around for a week not doing a lot, and the Fjords is only a week ;)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Emrobo wrote:
... I just don't know if I fancy sitting around for a week not doing a lot, and the Fjords is only a week ;)
Hmm, at the risk of getting a slap ... at their ages the holiday should about them rather than you.

Runnnnnnning for cover and logging off now so you cant find me :lol:

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Manoverboard wrote:
Emrobo wrote:
... I just don't know if I fancy sitting around for a week not doing a lot, and the Fjords is only a week ;)
Hmm, at the risk of getting a slap ... at their ages the holiday should about them rather than you.

Runnnnnnning for cover and logging off now so you cant find me :lol:
Does it help that they LOVE kids club and would rather be there than in the pool on the ship :D

And it is educational ha ha

I won't slap you - I am a nice person!

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

As its only a week that time can go very quickly.
I would choose the holiday that would be the most relaxed and stress free for all concerned.

Whatever you choose ..enjoy.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Most importantly - have a great holiday. However, if it was me .... no contest! Azura out of Southampton every time .... no horrid airport situations, no 'unknown' situation about food etc in the hotel (at least P & O food is a known quantity), if you get ill at least you have the med team on the ship - etc.

I haven't been on Azura, but I have been to the Fjords and had beautiful weather too.

Go on - book a cruise!

Em :lolno:

Sealion
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Sealion »

If it helps .....there are never as many children on a Fjords/Baltic cruise than on cruises to warmer climes with are not just scenic and cultural.

Pippa Kernow
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Pippa Kernow »

Hi there. :)
I think that the thing you need to consider is that beautiful as Norway is, the cost of living there is high. So try to factor in that things that kiddies like to enjoy onshore, such as ice creams, soft drinks, snacks etc will cost an arm & leg, unless you are prepared to return to the ship for them.

There's the convenience of travelling from Southampton on a family friendly ship such as Azura to expensive Norway, versus airport hassles and flying to the sun which might be cheaper once there. Not an easy choice, but if it were me with youngsters then I would be heading south to the Med this time. Good luck with whatever you choose and wishing you all a lovely holiday. :)

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

We had a wonderful cruise to Norway on Azura, and the Kids club was not too busy, so the children had plenty of attention from the team.

Our daughter was 16 at the time, so it was rather different for us, as she was old enough to not come ashore with us. She actually stayed on board for 2 out of the 4 days (but then, we were walking a lot, which she hates).

The fjords are all about the scenery (especially if you are on a budget - steer clear of the shops!). We had some great walks with wonderful scenery. If your children enjoy finding streams and waterfalls, and enjoy a bit of a climb, you'll be fine. Don't feel you have to spend hours off the ship. As long as you're not tendered, it's easy enough to go back on board for lunch and ice creams - better than paying out a fortune for a lunch which young children might not eat! With the exception of Bergen (where there is a shuttle bus), there is plenty to explore straight from the ship.
If you go to Flam, it would be worth splashing out for the train ride. In Olden there is a little land train which I haven't been on, but they might enjoy.
Angela

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I think you may have to resort to tossing a coin. On the one hand you've got sunshine in a villa but based in one place with the hassle of airports and flights to take into account. On the other you have a cruise on Azura with its childrens clubs to keep them occupied, sail out of Southampton with no luggage restrictions and visits to mountains, fjords, streams, waterfalls and a calm, relaxed pace of life. Norway is expensive though so best to take drinks, sweets, treats etc ashore with you. However you may get good weather but it is not guaranteed.
For what it is worth we have been to Norway three times and have another cruise booked there and, touch wood, have always had good weather. I would choose Azura for the childrens clubs which will occupy them for much of the holiday (sea days) and Norway which will satisfy your wishes for a holiday but I am biased.

Let us know what you decide please.

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Thank you for all your input it really has been helpful.

The kids love the kids club, and we often take cordial with us and their bottles and make up juice etc. We love walking and can bring the wheelchair/buggy for my older daughter so that isn't a problem.

The ports all sound do-able and we have said we will look at the train trip.

I think the thing with the girls they have grown up so far around cruising and sight seeing etc and always seem okay with it all. Even at home we go off on trips/days out so I am quite happy they will be okay with it, plenty of time for them to dictate to us where they want to go ha ha!!

I think I have got past the stage of sitting and sunbathing all day now.

This cruise is a must do cruise I think, and we always said the next ship we would like to try was Azura and we said next cruise we would like to try Fjords so it is like it is meant to be, just wish I could justify the extra for a balcony, our money was wasted on a balcony this time to the canaries (believe it or not!)

We popped into our usual TA today to see if they can offer any additional benefits, hubby said P&O had agreed free upgrade, she wrote it down, I giggled, which she then realised he was fibbing, but she has put it down anyway.

Will keep you updated in what we do, think it will be all agreed this week though :)

Next mumbling for me, we have only been offered £45 OBC pp for hubby and myself so £90, plus our £100 OBC from future down payment. I am now wondering about saying no to OBC and getting the coach, but not sure if it will cover the children, as that will be worth more than the OBC they offer (for some reason the children aren't allowed any this time), and then it means our peninsular discount will come into affect quicker.
We usually drive down night before, stay at a hotel etc, so fuel, toll, parking and hotel will be £200, if we take £90 OBC, so really thinking about the coach

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

When I replied I just knew you would be going to the Fjords on Azura :lol:

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

Congratulations on a very good decision - enjoy :clap:
Angela

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Well I think you've made the right decision - your girls are very lucky to experience cruising so young and obviously enjoying it. I am travelling again with my son and family this year - they had their first cruise in July 2011 and loved it but as my son and his wife are teachers they find it expensive to go every year - prices do go up in the school holidays :cry:

My granddaughters loved the clubs and will probably spend a lot of time in them when they are not in the pool.

It would be worth enquiring about the coach because I know it is costing nearly £400 for my son and family to travel down from Knutsford services. If the coach travel covers the whole family it is worth going for it.

Whatever you choose you can be sure the trip to the Fjords will be amazing and one you will long remember for the scenery - it is spectacular.
Janis

Pippa Kernow
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Pippa Kernow »

Emrobo wrote:
Thank you for all your input it really has been helpful.

The kids love the kids club, and we often take cordial with us and their bottles and make up juice etc. We love walking and can bring the wheelchair/buggy for my older daughter so that isn't a problem.

The ports all sound do-able and we have said we will look at the train trip.

I think the thing with the girls they have grown up so far around cruising and sight seeing etc and always seem okay with it all. Even at home we go off on trips/days out so I am quite happy they will be okay with it, plenty of time for them to dictate to us where they want to go ha ha!!

I think I have got past the stage of sitting and sunbathing all day now.

This cruise is a must do cruise I think, and we always said the next ship we would like to try was Azura and we said next cruise we would like to try Fjords so it is like it is meant to be, just wish I could justify the extra for a balcony, our money was wasted on a balcony this time to the canaries (believe it or not!)

We popped into our usual TA today to see if they can offer any additional benefits, hubby said P&O had agreed free upgrade, she wrote it down, I giggled, which she then realised he was fibbing, but she has put it down anyway.

Will keep you updated in what we do, think it will be all agreed this week though :)

Next mumbling for me, we have only been offered £45 OBC pp for hubby and myself so £90, plus our £100 OBC from future down payment. I am now wondering about saying no to OBC and getting the coach, but not sure if it will cover the children, as that will be worth more than the OBC they offer (for some reason the children aren't allowed any this time), and then it means our peninsular discount will come into affect quicker.
We usually drive down night before, stay at a hotel etc, so fuel, toll, parking and hotel will be £200, if we take £90 OBC, so really thinking about the coach
Awww you've had chance now to reach your decision and that's lovely. :clap: Wishing you the calmest of seas and the very best weather. Enjoy yourselves in Norway! Have fun! :D x

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

hee hee may change our mind to the Christmas Caribbean cruise!!

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who can tell you about Christmas cruises - I would love to try one - I have friends who spent a month over Christmas and New Year and had a fab time on Oceana. Whatever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy :thumbup:
Janis

DianaM
Cadet
Cadet

Post by DianaM »

You will have a wonderful time with your young children on the Azura cruise to the Fjords. We went in 2012 on the Ventura with our son, daughter in law and grandchildren aged 2 and 4, to the Fjords and Iceland. They absolutely loved it! Both the childrens club and the ports. They had already cruised a lot, so we knew the kids the clubs wouldn't be a problem.

Don't know your itinerary, but in Stavanger my husband and son went in the Oil Museum and myself and dil occupied the kids in the imaginative 'oil related' adventure playground outside. They had a ball!

In Bergen we went on the funicular which the kids loved, and there was plenty to keep them amused at the summit as well.

In Flamm we all went on the railway, and that went down well with all ages, especially the hotel at the top serving waffles with jam.

Our grandaughter, now aged 5, still talks about it. Kids don't just appreciate 'bucket and spade' holidays, and it is good for them to experience other intineraries.

Incidentally, don't worry about having an inside cabin - although I wouldn't choose it myself, our son and family love it as the children sleep very well in the dark, and if they wake up early they can fool them into thinking it is still night time!!

I won't tell you how much the kids loved Iceland, as you aren't going there, but the Blue Lagoon was an experience they still remember.

You will have a wonderful time, and have made a good choice both with the Fjords and Azura.

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

WE ARE ALL BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Decided on Fjords on Azura with balcony cabin on A deck - either A707 or A708 when it all goes live :)

Decided on the coach as it was £90 OBC based on inside when we priced it up or £344 worth of coach transfers for all 4 of us ( it would cost us £200+ for fuel, toll and hotel alone)

All in all a happy bunny

Just need to get saving for a Christmas Caribbean cruise the year after :)

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

That's fantastic - it was well worth going for the coach fares rather than OBC - much better value. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time :thumbup:
Janis

noddy10
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by noddy10 »

Who have you booked with Emrobo because bookings do not come live generally until 8th April and for certain tiers of Peninsular Club on 5th April. Dont know how you can be told you have booked because if you are not in relevant tier and cannot book until 8th April they might have already been booked.

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

noddy10 wrote:
Who have you booked with Emrobo because bookings do not come live generally until 8th April and for certain tiers of Peninsular Club on 5th April. Dont know how you can be told you have booked because if you are not in relevant tier and cannot book until 8th April they might have already been booked.
well pre-registered :)

so fingers crossed we can get one of our cabins - all credit card details taken ready to be charged on the 8th

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Emrobo wrote:
noddy10 wrote:
well pre-registered :)

so fingers crossed we can get one of our cabins - all credit card details taken ready to be charged on the 8th
It was with p&o too - I have had several phone calls with them this week and she has been able to see that some cabins weren't available etc on some of the cruises we were looking at

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”