Commodore

Re: Recent experiences of P&O

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 15:41
Stephen wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 15:19
We are off on Ventura
How can you be "off" when you are "on" :? :? :crazy:
It's a little trick I know :)
Last edited by Stephen on 24 Feb 2023, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

He's non binary.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

No I’m not, I’m straight as an arrow.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We are off on Ventura July. Nothing taking our fancy tour wise at the moment, although Mr S has booked a three mile walking tour. Not for me, sound like hard work. I might keep the barman company for half hour :)
Does your wife know about him? :wave:

Pam + Neil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Pam + Neil »

I forgot to say- another positive, wine waiters are back In the MDR and bar staff in bars all top class. Just like the old days. Draught lager choices bit limited though.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

oldbluefox wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 16:58

We are off on Ventura July. Nothing taking our fancy tour wise at the moment, although Mr S has booked a three mile walking tour. Not for me, sound like hard work. I might keep the barman company for half hour :)
Does your wife know about him? :wave:
Stephen wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 16:28
No I’m not, I’m straight as an arrow.
Hmmm.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 14:06
Pleased to hear you had a good cruise.
I think, as we come out of Covid, you just have to go with an open mind. The industry has had to face big changes and it is going to take a while before it is back on an even keel (no pun intended!). Meanwhile I feel it is just good to be back on open seas and enjoying the cruise ship experience.
On Iona at present, and it's probably 99% back to pre covid cruising, in fact apart from the occasional crew member, and even fewer passengers wearing a face mask, it business as usual.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Pam + Neil wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 17:00
I forgot to say- another positive, wine waiters are back In the MDR and bar staff in bars all top class. Just like the old days. Draught lager choices bit limited though.
Oh joy, wine waiters back in the MDR, great news.
I did save a bundle on our last cruise, as when a bottle finally arrived at the table we were well into the main cause. Then had to take any bottle that made in to the table up to the cabin..
Last edited by Ray B on 24 Feb 2023, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes good news about the wine waiters.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I’ll second that. I do like the odd drop of red.
Last edited by Stephen on 24 Feb 2023, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Pam + Neil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Pam + Neil »

I would agree with Towny, it all seemed back to normal apart from evening turndown.
we didn’t really use the on board App to book anything as had club dining. When we want to go to the Beach House I just did this at the reception desk. I would like to see the port talks back as the staff on the tours desks had limited knowledge and just advised that we asked at Tourist Information once ashore.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Coincidentally, I was talking with an old friend today who has come back from a Ventura cruise a little while back and they said that they were disappointed.
The things that they thought important, like no turn down and no photographers impacted their enjoyment.
They also thought that the meal sizes had decreased.
None of that bothers us in the slightest.
Horses for courses.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I agree Barney. Only the very poshest hotels service rooms twice a day and I can live without another chocolate. And we generally avoid the photographers as an expensive nuisance. As for food, well there's no shortage if you need more. Much better than wastage.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 25 Feb 2023, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

P.s. Do you prefer your horse for starter or main course?

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I always thought that it was the little touches, like evening turn-down, pillow chocolates which has made cruising special…in accepting theses things are now disappearing are we now being moulded into accepting cruising does come with extras if you are willing to pay for them.
I feel theses things combined with specialty restaurants and pay for shows are a turning cruising into a two-tier system.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 09:56
I always thought that it was the little touches, like evening turn-down, pillow chocolates which has made cruising special…in accepting theses things are now disappearing are we now being moulded into accepting cruising does come with extras if you are willing to pay for them.
I feel theses things combined with specialty restaurants and pay for shows are a turning cruising into a two-tier system.

Agree.

God that hurt

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ray B wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 17:47
Pam + Neil wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 17:00
Oh joy, wine waiters back in the MDR, great news.
I did save a bundle on our last cruise, as when a bottle finally arrived at the table we were well into the main cause. Then had to take any bottle that made in to the table up to the cabin..
Not seen any "wine" waiters on Iona, but the table waiters do supply the wine list and take your wine orders, and it always arrives before your food. Only buy by the glass now, so no idea what they do with unfinished bottles.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Onelife wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 09:56
I would not class cruising as a "two tier" system (yet). If there were two fares one that was basic and one that included the extras then I would agree - and I have said this in the past that eventually that is the way things will go.

There have always been "optional" extras on a cruise - excursions and drinks to name two.

It is no different than on land - you go to a restaurant advertising three courses for £20 only to find that most options on the menu carry a surcharge.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

I do agree with OL, the little touches he mentioned plus the ones over the years that we have lost, went to making a cruise feel that extra special.
I will go as far to say that the direction cruising is moving is replicating hotels on the Costas, the only difference being they float..
I know what you are saying OL, and I'm in your court. 👍
Don't worry, be happy

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

The only thing I would miss about the evening turn down is coming back to the cabin after the show and finding the curtains drawn, and a tidy bathroom with fresh towels. Would it be enough for me not to book? No. I'd be surprised if it returns . Once some of these little touches disappear I'd be surprised if they come back. Pleased about the wine waiters though. I'm going on the Aurora 4 night cruise with my daughter who's never been on a cruise ship. It'll be very interesting to see what she makes of it, what she thinks of the level of service. I've warned her she may be the youngest on our table - club dining - and she's into her 40s, just. I'll also tell her that the ambience on some of the larger ships will probably be very different. If she like it we may go again but with her 7 year old daughter which would mean the smallest ship we could go on with P&O would be Azura or Ventura. It looks as though Azura would be out unless I want to fly, which I don't at the moment. I've always preferred Azura to Ventura although I'm not sure why. Britannia, Iona and Arvia are too large for me, too much walking I'm afraid unless I consider taking a scooter. I have done that in the past before I had a knee replacement so I know how it all works. I think I could probably cope on Ventura without one but I'll see how I feel after being back on Aurora. We are taking a collapsible wheelchair just in case, but apart from boarding and disembarking it may not get used.

Carole

Return to “P&O”