CC registration changes

Topics that are specific to cruising

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: CC registration changes

Post by Boris+ »

Not trying to be controversial at all, just the way it is. Anyway we don't go on holiday to go shopping etc. We go for a rest and relax. It's great, they haven't thought of charging for that!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 14:20
t's great, they haven't thought of charging for that!
Oh yes they have - it's called the fare :lol: :lol:

I really cannot see what the difference is between "swiping" the card and entering your pin - both have the same end result, which is that the cruise line will take money from your account.

If you don't spend on anything and you remove the tips - what do you use your OBC (which is your own money anyway) on?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I can't see what the fuss is about. Every time I make a purchase I input my PIN number. I can't believe what a fuss it has created. It's not as if you are dealing with some dodgy backstreet firm.
As for the tips I leave them on unless I get poor service. I can't be bothered fussing around at Reception just so I can save a few pennies here and there, or at worst, deny tips to those who deserve them.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Well I'm another one who can't see why there is a kerfuffle about this.

I like to register my credit card because it makes it simple to pay my bill. At the end of the cruise, if there was a pre-authorisation that I didn't use, the indicator reserving the money will drop off after a week or two.

My account will only be debited with the money that I actually spend - inputting the PIN number at check in doesn't give them carte blache to take whatever they feel like!
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

There are of course situations when ' the customer ' may need to block expenditure and indeed to check their accounts on a daily basis ... that can arise when controls have been placed by the Bank on that persons spending habits. I do tend to get an interim statement a few days prior to disembarkation unless of course the Line in question offers a reliable Interactive TV service regarding Accounts.

Regards ... a fool from Darzet :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 14:31
It's not as if you are dealing with some dodgy backstreet firm.
Are you sure about that? :lol: :o :roll:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I really really really don't get the fuss. Unless you pay a cash deposit which you have to top up as you spend they've always registered a credit card and automatically charged your account to it at the end of the cruise. You've always had to keep an eye to check it. The only change now seems to be added security by using chip and pin instead of swipe. How is that a problem?

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

david63 wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 14:30

I really cannot see what the difference is between "swiping" the card and entering your pin - both have the same end result, which is that the cruise line will take money from your account.

If you don't spend on anything and you remove the tips - what do you use your OBC (which is your own money anyway) on?
It's what we call Mickey Mouse money, and don't pay much attention to it really. It's not real money, not connected with any of my accounts, so mostly I can't be bothered with it.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 14:31
I can't see what the fuss is about. Every time I make a purchase I input my PIN number. I can't believe what a fuss it has created. It's not as if you are dealing with some dodgy backstreet firm.
As for the tips I leave them on unless I get poor service. I can't be bothered fussing around at Reception just so I can save a few pennies here and there, or at worst, deny tips to those who deserve them.
Sorry, a FEW pennies Foxy, I don't think so.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:11
It's what we call Mickey Mouse money, and don't pay much attention to it really. It's not real money, not connected with any of my accounts, so mostly I can't be bothered with it.
Oh yes it is real money - you have paid it along with your fare - don't be fooled into thinking that it is some "freebe" that the cruise line is giving you, it is your own money. If you are not bothered about several hundred pounds then I can assure you that I most certainly am.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Dear Lord I thought I had heard it all until reading this last statement - as John McEnroe would say "you cannot be serious" the OBC can run into hundreds of pounds and cannot be described as mickey mouse money - I'm going for a lie down :crazy:
Janis

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Seriously, you can't even get a decent pair of earrings for a couple of £hundred. The greater majority of ships don't have watches worth the bother. A couple of Cruises ago on Celebrity, they did have one Snoopy watch, and we were interested, but by the time we'd thought about it, we missed it.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Ok David, if we're ever on the same cruise you can have it!

You say it's part of the fare, but there's a long time between paying and sailing. We just pay the bill and write off the obc.
Last edited by Boris+ on 13 Sep 2017, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I can't believe someone willing to spend hundreds on ear rings is bothered about a £50 reserve being put on their credit card that will be cancelled if they don't spend it. This has to be a wind up!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:37
Oh yes it is real money - you have paid it along with your fare - don't be fooled into thinking that it is some "freebe" that the cruise line is giving you, it is your own money. If you are not bothered about several hundred pounds then I can assure you that I most certainly am.
And me. Notes, no coins please to account number.....
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Sep 2017, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Stephen wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 18:15
Don't forget to give the pin number too :lolno:
Janis

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 14:17
Towney, I won't refuse to provide the pin if asked, but will send a strongly worded email, and I will also both remove the auto tip and keep a watchful eye on my accounts.

To assume is foolish, and if cruise ships think I'm going to be spending (well what I call spending anyway) then they've got it badly wrong? We don't drink.the jewellery clothing and accessory offering is poor, any excursions are dealt with before leaving home, and we're neither bored nor vain enough to use the spa treatments, which leaves just about zero to spend on. Oh yes I forgot, the so called art gallery is hideous, and we can do our own photography.
You sure about that, it's not what you have said in the past.....

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:59
Ok David, if we're ever on the same cruise you can have it!

You say it's part of the fare, but there's a long time between paying and sailing. We just pay the bill and write off the obc.
More money than sense....... :roll:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:57
Seriously, you can't even get a decent pair of earrings for a couple of £hundred. The greater majority of ships don't have watches worth the bother. A couple of Cruises ago on Celebrity, they did have one Snoopy watch, and we were interested, but by the time we'd thought about it, we missed it.
Sorry to disagree with you Boris but I don't call Tag, Rolex, Gucci and Raymond Wiel to name but a few watches not worth the bother, at least not for men.
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Sep 2017, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 18:17
Stephen wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 18:15
Don't forget to give the pin number too :lolno:

To you, you must be joking. The way you spend money I'd end up being your play thing to pay off the bill :D

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Stephen wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 18:23
Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 17:57
Sorry to disagree with you Boris but I don't call Tag, Rolex, Gucci and Raymond Wiel to name but a few watches not worth the bother, at least not for men.
[/quot

I'd only bother with Rolex from that group. But I've not seen things like PP, nor Cartier.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hey Sue,

Lighten up kiddo or change the record.

Just for the record, it's a normal coffee or diy tea with breakfast, and juice. Same at lunch, hot drinks with afternoon tea, and usually a soft drink with dinner. We don't frequent bars. We normally ignore the embarkation bottle of fizz in the suite, and any bottles given to us go home with us. The drinks in the fridge are always soft drinks. That's what we call not drinking.

Everyone changes over time, even you could. We don't want now what we used to, and the change is quite refreshing.

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 18:43
Hey Sue,

Lighten up kiddo or change the record.

Just for the record, it's a normal coffee or diy tea with breakfast, and juice. Same at lunch, hot drinks with afternoon tea, and usually a soft drink with dinner. We don't frequent bars. We normally ignore the embarkation bottle of fizz in the suite, and any bottles given to us go home with us. The drinks in the fridge are always soft drinks. That's what we call not drinking.

Everyone changes over time, even you could. We don't want now what we used to, and the change is quite refreshing.
What record would that be Boris...?

It's quite obvious to everyone how YOU change the record quite often, if you "forget" things you have said in the past.

I made a promise in 2012 that I would go on a cruise and have a different cocktail every day. Well, I did - I can remember the first one (Absolut Elegance), then after that I can't remember what they were, apart from the fact that I don't like Singapore Slings.

I do know that apparently I had a wonderful time!!!

Em :clap:

Of course, people do and can change over time.

Or.....SAY they have changed, when they slip up on something they said in the previous posts..... :roll:

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Boris+ wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 14:17
Towney, I won't refuse to provide the pin if asked, but will send a strongly worded email, and I will also both remove the auto tip and keep a watchful eye on my accounts.

To assume is foolish, and if cruise ships think I'm going to be spending (well what I call spending anyway) then they've got it badly wrong? We don't drink. the jewellery clothing and accessory offering is poor, any excursions are dealt with before leaving home, and we're neither bored nor vain enough to use the spa treatments, which leaves just about zero to spend on. Oh yes I forgot, the so called art gallery is hideous, and we can do our own photography.
WOW!!!!
You really have changed Boris......or have a REALLY BAD MEMORY.... :crazy:

Re: Auto tipping
#13Post by Boris+ » 06 Feb 2013, 20:55
I did once overhear a couple onboard discussing this tipping situation - and they decided to go and remove the auto-tipping. A couple of nights later there they were in the shops onboard - returning a piece of jewellery which they had bought at the start of the cruise, on the excuse that it didn't suit and didn't come up to expectations ..... and yes, they had a refund against their onboard account.

It did make me wonder if I had got it wrong - but no, as far as I am concerned the auto-tip doesn't even get discussed, it just gets paid (and stuff which has been bought onboard goes safely home).

So you USED to pay your tips....and you USED to buy stuff on board...... :eh: :crazy:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Mickey Mouse money??????????????

Our Mickey Mouse Money last cruise was £800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

our end of cruise account was in credit - though we tried really hard to use it all - Christmas shopping and all sorts!
Meg
x

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”