P&O Suite v Cunard Princess Grills

Topics that are specific to cruising

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Re: P&O Suite v Cunard Princess Grills

Post by emjay45 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 31 May 2019, 11:39
Emjay's post kind of reinforces our conclusion that on P&O it is mainly about the very nice cabin. The Cunard package is the complete deal. You just have to judge whether, for you, it is worth the money.

I'm slightly envious of the voyages in the Aurora penthouse suite - though I doubt it would be for us. Not just way out of our money league but in the wrong place. We have to be midships ideally and definitely not way forward. The story is the designer only conceived those two suites there because they couldn't think of a better way of using the awkward shaped sloping space.
You should give the penthouse a try Merv you might be surprised. My husband isn’t the best sailor but he loved it. We were told by James Cusack (He was the accommodation manager on our 2013 cruise.)that it was his idea to use the space for cabins. I believe it was also his idea to have butlers for the suites. From the layout of the suite, I think they converted 2 balcony cabins one on deck A and one on deck B and the front space according to James Cusack, had previously been store rooms. It was well worth being at the front for the fabulous views we had sailing into ports etc. We were at the back on the QE having changed from a Q4(midship) to a Q1(aft) and I much preferred being at the front on the Aurora to being at the back of the QE. I’ll admit when we encountered rough seas around the world the stairs could be a challenge. Apart from that I had a much better night’s sleep on there than on the QE in very smooth seas.
The only disappointment I would say is that the balcony in the Penthouse is small in comparison to other suites. For anyone considering a suite on the Aurora I would definitely recommend the penthouse suites.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Well after a busy week I've finally got around to throwing my two pennorth worth in on this.

I've really enjoyed reading your review Merv not least because we appear to have a new recruit, until now both myself and Gill have pretty much had to talk between ourselves regarding anything Cunard, it's also nice to see Emjay has discovered the delights of Cunard and the Grills too ha ha we could form our own little group here and call ourselves the 'gorillas' ie: 'grillers' ( which I believe some already do in FB groups !! )

As for the 'S' word - as we all know 'snobs' come in all shapes and sizes and just because someone chooses a suite as their preferred accommodation it doesn't make them one, we never travel anything less than Queens Grill with Cunard and they certainly don't come more 'down to earth' than me, as for having a butler I think I'm probably in the minority as I love having one they are not intrusive as many seem to think they can and do actually enhance your cruise if you let them.

So Merv you are now well and truly hooked - welcome to the club all I would say is try and push the boat out a bit further next time ( pun intended ) and give QG a try you will not be disappointed, granted there is a substantial price difference but personally I think the added benefits you receive make it worth paying, we obviously don't/can't cruise as much in the manner to which I've become accustomed but I'm more than happy to do one or two a year rather than three or four and do it in what I consider is 'style'.

I'm not knocking P&O as we have had some brilliant cruises with them over the years but they did start to disappoint so we spoke with our feet and for us it's the best decision we ever made, I think you have made a very fair comparison between the two brands but for me the one thing Cunard have which beats anything P&O might offer is the Grills and not just the food but the whole ambience and dining experience they give.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I agree with everything you’ve said Jo. We have been agonising for days about our 59 nights on QM2 in 2021. Southampton to Hong Kong via Cape Town. For that length of time it had to be a balcony cabin, but while there’s nothing wrong with them, having travelled Grills so much now, we simply can’t do it! Don’t want to do it.

So the 59 night trip will go, as the cost of it in the Grills, even PG, is far more than we want, or are prepared to pay. The only problem is that the Grills do spoil us and now nothing else will do!

So what we are going to book, I have absolutely no idea!
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Oh that's a shame Gill as it's a wonderful itinerary but in Grills I agree the prices are 'eye watering', I'm sure you will find an alternative to book, do you not fancy Alaska there are some great deals around at the moment for QE.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Well yes, possibly, but then we do really prefer warm weather voyages. I think we are going to book a much shorter trip - in QG - and combine with stays in Singapore and Dubai. But that is what we're thinking of now, it could all change :lol:
Gill

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Hi Jo I think you’ve said it very well. It’s not about being a snob but it’s what suits you. I don’t regret our cruises on P&O at all, except perhaps the one we did on the Oceana because I really didn’t like the ship. If you want roundtrips from Southampton, P&O probably have better destinations than Cunard but our circumstances have changed as my son has lost most of his eyesight now and can no longer appreciate the different ports. So for him the ship has now become the destination. As a well known poster from the old P&O forum used to say.🧐
The evening meal is a very important part of cruising to us and it really was so nice to have a table just for us. We could enjoy a leisurely meal instead of feeling rushed so the waiters could prepare for the next sitting or if on second sitting want to finish for the night. Apart from that there is no doubt the food and service in the grills was so much more superior than P&O. We loved the Courtyard too where we could have lunch al fresco, and the fact that our waiters knew us from the restaurant and became familiar with our son was also a plus. I also liked the fact that on Cunard you could book a box on formal nights because my son would never go to the theatre on P&O. He’s claustrophobic and didn’t like feeling of being hemmed in. So for the first time on a cruise he enjoyed the theatre and actually went 3 times. I think the champagne and chocolates helped.😀
So I’m definitely now a fan of Cunard especially of the Grills. 👍Can I join your ‘grillers’ group.😉

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

GillD46 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 11:03
I agree with everything you’ve said Jo. We have been agonising for days about our 59 nights on QM2 in 2021. Southampton to Hong Kong via Cape Town. For that length of time it had to be a balcony cabin, but while there’s nothing wrong with them, having travelled Grills so much now, we simply can’t do it! Don’t want to do it.

So the 59 night trip will go, as the cost of it in the Grills, even PG, is far more than we want, or are prepared to pay. The only problem is that the Grills do spoil us and now nothing else will do!

So what we are going to book, I have absolutely no idea!
That's the trouble Gill I think once you've been in the Grills it must really be difficult to be happy on anywhere else on the ship. I don't think I could be happy in Britannia now.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Lovely to have another Griller. Welcome on board emjay x
Gill

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

emjay45 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 21:38
I think once you've been in the Grills it must really be difficult to be happy on anywhere else on the ship.
I understand that problem. At a lesser level it was the same when we first tried a balcony cabin. There's no going back.

Sadly though for us there is a price issue. If it was a case of lower grade or no cruise, as it often will be, we'd take the lower grade.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 10 Jun 2019, 10:28, edited 2 times in total.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

So we have at least three 'gorillas' or four if Merv joins too, it surprises me a few more members haven't given Cunard a try although I do think a lot of people are put off because they think it is extremely formal which personally I don't think it is, ok so men are expected to wear a jacket every night :problem: ( something my husband doesn't have a problem with ) maybe some think the way forward is 'casual' and each to their own as they say but I know what my preference is.

Emjay I think between you and Merv you have pretty much summed up one of the nicer aspects of Cunard which is the dining, not only is it very civilised but also the choice of ordering every night 'off menu' if you want to in Queens although they didn't seem to take me very seriously when I said I fancied 'egg and chips' :lolno: as they say 'you can take the girl out of xxxxx but not xxxxx out of the girl ;)
Jo

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I would like to become a "Griller" but I need to convince John. We've only had one cruise on Cunard - Queen Elizabeth 5 nights in a balcony cabin over 5 years ago. Unfortunately we experienced very poor service both from Room Service and from our waiter in the Britannia Restaurant. I have friends who regularly cruise on Cunard but not in the Grills. John was also put off by the extra 15% or 18% put on everything we bought which really made a difference to the wine. I know that we were unusual in finding the service poor - there's no way our fairly fussy friends would continue to cruise with Cunard if that were usually the case. So I need to find, possibly a late booking in one of the Grills - if such a thing occurs - to convince John. We are now at the point where we are starting to look away from P&O as they are going in a direction that doesn't suit us. We have two cruises booked at the moment - Canada/USA in September on Aurora and next year Northern Lights also on Aurora - although we may change the latter one.
We were supposed to go on Arcadia a couple of weeks ago but had to cancel as John was ill. I was keen to go on Arcadia as we haven't been on her since 2008. I think more and more we may be looking to cruise from Southampton rather than fly cruises - I really prefer it and John is gradually coming to that way of thinking. We've had a dreadful couple of months when John was in hospital with a suspected stroke - it wasn't - in fact both a CT and an MRI scan were clear thank goodness. Now at last we know what the trouble is - he has Polymyalgia - and is improving rapidly, well not as rapidly as he'd like of course - now he's on Steroids. Unfortunately he has also had ear problems - nothing to do with the Polymyalgia apparently and is going to have to have grommets fitted in both ears which will be happening next week so we've had a real time of it. I think we're unlikely to cruise before our P&O one in September but you never know! I'll keep a look out.

Carole

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 10:59
So we have at least three 'gorillas' or four if Merv joins too, it surprises me a few more members haven't given Cunard a try although I do think a lot of people are put off because they think it is extremely formal which personally I don't think it is, ok so men are expected to wear a jacket every night :problem: ( something my husband doesn't have a problem with ) maybe some think the way forward is 'casual' and each to their own as they say but I know what my preference is.

Emjay I think between you and Merv you have pretty much summed up one of the nicer aspects of Cunard which is the dining, not only is it very civilised but also the choice of ordering every night 'off menu' if you want to in Queens although they didn't seem to take me very seriously when I said I fancied 'egg and chips' :lolno: as they say 'you can take the girl out of xxxxx but not xxxxx out of the girl ;)
Re your egg and chips: when asked what I wanted at dinner one night, on QM2, I replied that what I really fancied was beans on toast. Without batting an eyelid, I was told it could be arranged but would take a little longer, or I could order it for next night!

Much as I fancied it, I felt it wouldn’t really fit in, so I thanked our waiter but declined, however, they were perfectly willing to arrange it. I often ask for just spaghetti with a simple fresh tomato sauce though, which they prepare table-side.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

it surprises me a few more members haven't given Cunard a try although I do think a lot of people are put off because they think it is extremely formal which personally I don't think it is, ok so men are expected to wear a jacket every night :problem: ( something my husband doesn't have a problem with )
We have looked at Cunard several times but the problem is that their itineraries don't suit us. They are either too short, Transatlantic, Worldie/part Worldie or not at a time that we would want to go.

As for wearing a jacket every night not a problem - on our last cruise (P&O) I wore one (not the same one I hasten to add) every night and by the end of the cruise so were all the other men! (Always preferred to be a leader rather than a follower!!)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

So we have a fifth 'Gorilla' on the horizon :clap: sadly Carole a late booking with Cunard in Grills no longer offers any incentive as they once did although if you don't mind cabin position it's always worth taking a chance and booking PG as they are pretty good with the upgrades to QG from what I'm told.

I know what you mean about the added service charge to drinks but it's also worth taking into account the QG suites also include a complimentary mini bar ( replenished daily ) and also 2 bottles of spirits of your choice ( replenished when and if ) or if you prefer 2 bottles of wine which are replenished much more frequently plus of course your welcome bottle of 'bubbles' if you enjoy spending time on your balcony this is quite an added bonus, there are also some fairly decent wines in the restaurant which don't cost an arm and a leg !!

Sorry to hear about your husband and I wish him a speedy recovery.

I quite agree David the itineraries are a disappointment and with QE spending a good part of this year and next over in Oz / Asia the choice is even more limiting and of course it is keeping prices high because basically there is only one ship if you take QM2 and the TA's out of the equation, I'm quite happy to make the ship my destination though.

Ha ha Gill I'm sure if I had pushed it I would have got what I fancied he just didn't take me seriously and thought I was joking, thinking about it I can't imagine why egg and chips as it's something I haven't had in years :crazy: never had a problem ordering 'off menu' they are always happy to oblige.
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 10 Jun 2019, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 10:27
emjay45 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 21:38
I think once you've been in the Grills it must really be difficult to be happy on anywhere else on the ship.
I understand that problem. At a lesser level it was the same when we first tried a balcony cabin. There's no going back.

Sadly though for us there is a price issue. If it was a case of lower grade or no cruise, as it often will be, we'd take the lower grade.
I appreciate what you mean Merv. Believe me I am more than grateful that we can give our son the best experience we can afford while he can still enjoy a cruise.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

david63 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 13:07

We have looked at Cunard several times but the problem is that their itineraries don't suit us. They are either too short, Transatlantic, Worldie/part Worldie or not at a time that we would want to go.

As for wearing a jacket every night not a problem - on our last cruise (P&O) I wore one (not the same one I hasten to add) every night and by the end of the cruise so were all the other men! (Always preferred to be a leader rather than a follower!!)
I must admit David that's why we hadn't looked at Cunard seriously since we started cruising. We started cruising as we'd found airports a bit of a nightmare for our son.We like longer cruises because once we make the effort to leave the island and travel to Southampton it has to be for a long cruise. We also liked the destinations offered by P&O. As I've said our criteria has changed now because my son has lost the majority of his eyesight. So having always thought of trying Cunard's grills, to book the length of cruise which suited us I had to book a back to back. It was 2 cruises to the Med. One of 17 days and one of 14 days. That probably wouldn't suit most people but it suited us as the destinations have now become less important.
Last edited by david63 on 10 Jun 2019, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote formatting

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

GillD46 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 06:04
Lovely to have another Griller. Welcome on board emjay x
Thanks Gill I will be looking at you and Jo to give me lots of 'insider' tips.😉

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I'm sure if I'd been on a world cruise in the QG I definitely would have been craving something as simple as egg and chips before long.😉
I really should learn how to multi quote.😉

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

emjay45 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 21:34
Click on the Quote thingy, " and type away as now …. but … don't submit, instead ;
Scroll down and then push the Quote thingy again on the posting(s) that you wish to respond to.

Et voila :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 09:19
Click on the Quote thingy, " and type away as now …. but … don't submit, instead ;
Scroll down and then push the Quote thingy again on the posting(s) that you wish to respond to.

Et voila :wave:
Comme Ca :)

I'm sure if I'd been on a world cruise in the QG I definitely would have been craving something as simple as egg and chips before long.😉

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

But back to ordering off menu, it's not just the Cunard QG......

A few years back we were on a P&O cruise, eating in the ordinary MDR, with my late mother in law. Towards the end of the cruise she said to us one night "what I really fancy is sausage and mash".

So our daughter had a discreet word with the waiter and asked if he could ignore whatever she ordered the next night and bring sausage and mash.

And he did exactly that!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 15:25
But back to ordering off menu, it's not just the Cunard QG......
I was once told "If we have it on the ship then you can have it" - although they do want a bit of notice.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Once was the time when you could literally ask for anything on P&O and they would do their best to accommodate but as always seems to happen a minority see it as an invitation to abuse the system and spoil it for the majority :wtf:

This is actually what has happened in PG on Cunard, they were very flexible with people ordering 'off menu' until people started to abuse it and thought they could pay half the price of QG and have the same 'perks' so it has been spoilt for all :(
Jo

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes you're right. There's a lot of that goes on. See it all the time on the various Facebook groups. Discussion of how they can beat the allowance to bring more than one bottle of spirits on board. Or how they can fiddle the drinks package to pass drinks to other people. I even saw one inquiring if they could lend their cruise card, with the drinks package attached, to their friends on board. And great indignity when they were told no, that was fraud.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I'm afraid I don't have any time for those who try to 'beat the system' and spend their time on their balconies drinking their own booze rather than using the bars and it happens a lot if you believe what is said on FB, there is nothing wrong in enjoying a pre dinner drink but some go with the intention of stocking up in every port and in effect that puts the cost of my cruise up because if people are not spending then prices increase.

I must say I haven't heard about people with drink packages wanting to share cards with friends but give it time and I'm sure they will spoil it for others :roll:
Jo

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”