Entering USA by Cruise Ship

Cruising destinations in the Americas and the Caribbean

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Entering USA by Cruise Ship

Post by david63 »

In September we entered USA on our Arcadia cruise. We had all the necessary paperwork (ESTA) and entered without any problem. Today we both received an email from U.S. Customs and Border Protection stating that we only have another 10 days before we must leave the US - in other words there is no record of us having left the US (and I can assure you that we are back in a clod and wet UK!!)

Has anyone encountered this issue? What I am concerned about is that we are going to the US next year to visit family and with not having any proof of leaving are we going to have a "hard time" with the lovely US Border Security?

AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Entering USA by Cruise Ship

Post by AileenB »

Hi David! Never had this issue fortunately! Seem to recall that there was always a little card? to hand back onboard on boarding for last time in the States. I think ship then returns these to US security. Apologies for the vague nature of this reply .... memory not so great about this. Can P&O help in this regard? Worth a try....

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Yes I would contact P&O and tell thrm they haven’t informed Homeland Security correctly, but are you able to reply to the email as well?
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Wouldn't hurt to give the embassy in the UK a call David.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

GillD46 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 13:34
Yes I would contact P&O and tell thrm they haven’t informed Homeland Security correctly,
Have done and waiting for a response - and we all know how long that takes. Depending on the response it could well be escalted!
but are you able to reply to the email as well?
There does not appear to be an option to do that.
Stephen wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 13:48
Wouldn't hurt to give the embassy in the UK a call David.
Hoping it will not get that far.

As there was the best part of 2,000 passengers on this cruise I suspect that P&O may be getting a few others asking the same question.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 14:04
but are you able to reply to the email as well?
There does not appear to be an option to do that.
There is a Contact Us type e-mail Address within the official ESTA Website … may be worth a try.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

AileenB wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 13:28
Hi David! Never had this issue fortunately! Seem to recall that there was always a little card? to hand back onboard on boarding for last time in the States. I think ship then returns these to US security. Apologies for the vague nature of this reply .... memory not so great about this. Can P&O help in this regard? Worth a try....
You don't have to fill out the card anymore, at least, not on cruises. We were on the Aurora cruise this year that went to the USA, and was really surprised that the immigration card was no longer needed.

I will be interested to find out what happens, as our 90 days will be up in December.

I don't know if you are on Facebook, David, as it may be worth asking if any other people on your cruise were affected.
Gill

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Gill W wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 14:58
don't know if you are on Facebook, David, as it may be worth asking if any other people on your cruise were affected.
On the PO Arcadia page, someone has said she has received a StayCompliance notice for J813 and wondered if anyone else has received one. Sorry, don't know how to do links but presume this is the same cruise you were on.

Just read one of the comments and someone has contacted PO and they are working on it.

Maureen
Last edited by Kenmo1 on 28 Nov 2018, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Just been having a Google, it appears the I-94 process is now automated

This website gives more info

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/i-94

According to this, it appears the carrier provides information from the manifest on departure so that the CBP can note their records
Upon exiting the U.S., travelers previously issued a paper Form I-94 should surrender it to the commercial carrier or to CBP upon departure. Otherwise, CBP will record the departure electronically via manifest information provided by the carrier or by CBP.
So, it looks like a P & O mess up, and their responsibility to resolve it
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

What a fiasco.
Gill

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

GillD46 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 16:32
What a fiasco.
From what I can ascertain it looks as if the procedure changed at thye start of this year and surprise, surprise P&O did not know (or chose to ignore it) - not bad for an American owned company!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

david63 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 17:30
GillD46 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 16:32
What a fiasco.
From what I can ascertain it looks as if the procedure changed at thye start of this year and surprise, surprise P&O did not know (or chose to ignore it) - not bad for an American owned company!
Hmmmm, that’s all very well, but what will they do about it, for you, and everyone else affected?
Gill

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

There appears to be a whole load of people on Facebook who have received the same message. The response from P&O, as far as I can gather is that they are aware of the issue, are apologetic and are dealing with it. As I understand it the recipients don't have to do anything, P&O will sort it - hopefully!

Carole

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

CaroleF wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 10:13
As I understand it the recipients don't have to do anything, P&O will sort it
But when? They have less than 9 days before I have a criminal record in the US

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

david63 wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 10:18
CaroleF wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 10:13
As I understand it the recipients don't have to do anything, P&O will sort it
But when? They have less than 9 days before I have a criminal record in the US
Eeeek! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Gill

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

After a totally pointless phone call to P&O I am non the wiser.

Apparently the email was "sent out in error" by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and "we are working with our agents to resolve this as quickly as possible". Question "Can I have a definitive time when this will be resolved?" Answer "we are working with our agents to resolve this as quickly as possible"

Further investigation on my part has discovered that if this is not resolved in the next nine days then my ESTA becomes invalid, I cannot enter the US on the visa waiver programme and I will need a full visa to enter the US. Could be expensive for P&O if 2k + visas are going to be required as there is not only the cost of the visa but you have to have an interview in London
Last edited by david63 on 29 Nov 2018, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I don't know if this link will be of any use to you David - it allows you to check your arrivals and departures

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

I really hate this sort of thing, when there's worry and stress through no fault of your own.
Gill

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 15:23
I don't know if this link will be of any use to you David - it allows you to check your arrivals and departures
Thanks - been there already

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Update - a reply to my email
I do apologise there has been a mis-communication between the US Embassy and P&O Cruises.

We would like to assure you that the matter is being investigated and we will be working with CBP to resolve the issue.

There is no further action required from you and to ignore the email that has been sent to you.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.
Erm, no it has not "helped to answer my query".

I get the distinct feeling that P&O Customer Services do nor fully appreciate the ramifications of all of this not only as far as visa requirements if this is not resolved by the end of the week but unknown to P&O there is a possible knock on effect with our son-in-law who is currently on detachment to one of the US Military bases and because of the sensitive data that he has access to we are on the Security Services radar.

I feel contact with higher levels is imminent.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm suprised you have waited this long David.

I feel an urgent e mail is in order, in your circumstances.

Lindsey

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 16:28
I'm suprised you have waited this long David.

I feel an urgent e mail is in order, in your circumstances.

Lindsey
I was giving them the benefit of the weekend seeing as how nothing would probably happen until Monday.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

david63 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 15:27
Update - a reply to my email
I do apologise there has been a mis-communication between the US Embassy and P&O Cruises.

We would like to assure you that the matter is being investigated and we will be working with CBP to resolve the issue.

There is no further action required from you and to ignore the email that has been sent to you.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.
Erm, no it has not "helped to answer my query".

I get the distinct feeling that P&O Customer Services do nor fully appreciate the ramifications of all of this not only as far as visa requirements if this is not resolved by the end of the week but unknown to P&O there is a possible knock on effect with our son-in-law who is currently on detachment to one of the US Military bases and because of the sensitive data that he has access to we are on the Security Services radar.

I feel contact with higher levels is imminent.
You couldn't make it up and we all know how fast P&O act - not! Let us know how you get in David.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I wonder if they’ve realised the implications for their crew too - it’ll be a real mess if the captain and senior crew aren’t allowed into the USA next time they visit
Gill

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 18:15
I wonder if they’ve realised the implications for their crew too - it’ll be a real mess if the captain and senior crew aren’t allowed into the USA next time they visit
I agree - but not my problem

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Right - email sent to Paul Ludlow so we will see what happens now.

Return to “The Americas”