Anything about Fred Olsen cruises

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Scenic Isles of Scotland

Post by Happydays »

This is a shortish sum-up of our recent cruise

We had LFT before boarding once on board masks weren't required. Ports were Belfast, Rothsay, Portree, Invergordon and Kirkwall. Rothsay was missed due to bad weather wasn't surprised as it should have been a tender and the sea was very choppy. The weather was disappointing overcast with showers but we enjoyed the cruise. Luckily Borealis has a retractable roof on deck 8 with plenty of comfortable seating.

Didn't seem to be any shortage of staff in the bars etc cabins were serviced twice a day with a nightly turn down with choccy on the pillow and fresh towels. Food was satisfactory, hot when it was meant to be. Even the buffet is good you're shown to a table already set with placemats, cutlery and glasses and waiters came to take any drinks orders. We went one evening to Colours & Taste which we pre-booked before boarding (Β£5pp I believe it has went up in price) it was one of the best meals we have ever had for the main I had lobster croquette my husband had sirloin medallions we couldn't finish them they were so big we did try each others choice :lol: the MDR was good as well. Plenty of hand sanitiser and the "whirl sink" when entering the restaurants and buffet. Most of the staff were wearing masks but very few passengers (we didn't)

In the evening we went to the Neptune Lounge for the Show/Entertainers the magician was Martin Daniels (son of Paul) who we liked and a pianist/singer who was IMO OK but not really to our taste but popular with others on board. Then we went to the crows nest and took part in the quiz and stayed to listen to the house band and have a dance unfortunately "Funky Blue" were not on this cruise we really liked them on our previous FO cruises they played our sort of music. The band in their place was "Oceans Trio" it was their first week some nights were better than others (polite) so perhaps trying to get an idea of what people liked. We weren't in bed before 2am most nights :crazy:

We were really looking forward to the cruise and it did not disappoint. We were on Borealis in August last year for a "stay-cation cruise" which went to Belfast and Falmouth. We don't have another cruise booked at the moment just watching how things progress travel wise.
Last edited by Happydays on 03 Jul 2022, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Scenic Isles of Scotland

Post by Kendhni »

Thanks for the review Happydays.
I saw a couple of Fred itineraries that looked interesting but my concern is that they have a reputation as being for the much older cruiser. Is this still the case or is there a reasonable mix of ages? I don't want to be the only one that does not need to be ironed before being allowed out to sunbathe :)
Last edited by Kendhni on 09 Jul 2022, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Must have missed your cruise report Happydays - thanks for posting - glad to read you had a good time despite the dodgy weather. I have looked at Fred’s cruises but never taken the plunge - where did you sail from?
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I’ve looked at Fred but they seem very expensive to me, but some of their itineraries look good.
Last edited by Stephen on 10 Jul 2022, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Fred were not cheap but their inclusions were enjoyed by us ... thanks for the report HDs :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

When we were waiting for the results of the LFT and looking round my husband did say that there seemed to be more older passengers πŸ˜† I think due to the destination, but I honestly say that didn't effect our enjoyment of the cruise. I may have said before they go off to bed earlier but still plenty left for the quiz and dancing.
We met a few couples that we would meet in the evening for a drink and dance or in our case a shuffle ha ha!
Jan, we sailed from Liverpool which was so much easier for us.
Ken there was plenty of people swimming and using the hot tubs can't comment on the ironing required😳
We got a reasonable price OBC, tips and drinks although the drinks doesn't cover them all but if you want any not included they are half price.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We seem to attract the more senior persons. And to be honest, some of them have more energy than me. Good on'm. You only live once :thumbup:

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We're 71 & 68 😝 Don't know how that happened 😱
There were plenty of people in 50+ age with a few in their forties plus of course older

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I’m still surprised every morning when I see this old gimmer staring back at me in the shaving mirror
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Who is that grey haired geezer, I ask myself ?
Empty vessels .. and all that

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

barney wrote: ↑12 Jul 2022, 18:44
I’m still surprised every morning when I see this old gimmer staring back at me in the shaving mirror
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Who is that grey haired geezer, I ask myself ?

A strange old lady has moved into my house. I have no idea who she is, where she came from, or how she got in. I certainly did not invite her. All I know is that one day she wasn't there, and the next day she was.
She is a clever old lady and manages to keep out of sight for the most part, but whenever I pass a mirror, I catch a glimpse of her. And, whenever I look in the mirror to check my appearance, there she is hogging the whole thing, completely obliterating my gorgeous face and body. This is very rude! I have tried screaming at her, but she just screams back.
The least she could do is offer to pay part of the bills, but no. Every once in a while, I find a $5 bill stuck in a coat pocket or some loose change under a sofa cushion, but it is not nearly enough. And I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I think she is stealing money from me. I go to the ATM and withdraw $50 and a few days later, it's all gone! I certainly don't spend money that fast, so I can only conclude the old lady is pilfering from me. You'd think she would spend some of that money to buy wrinkle cream. And money isn't the only thing I think she is stealing.
Food seems to disappear at an alarming rate-especially the good stuff like ice cream, chips, and sweets. She must have a real sweet tooth, but she'd better watch because she is really packing on the pounds. I suspect she realizes this, and to make herself feel better, she is tampering with my scale to make me think I am putting on weight, too.
For an old lady, she is quite childish. She likes to play nasty games, like going into my wardrobes when I'm not home and altering my clothes so they don't fit. And she messes with my files and papers so I can't find anything. This is particularly annoying since I am extremely neat and organized.
She has found other imaginative ways to annoy me. She gets into my mail, newspapers, and magazines before I do and blurs the print so I can't read it. And she has done something really sinister to the volume controls on my TV, radio, and telephone. Now, all I hear are mumbles and whispers. She has done other things-like make my stairs steeper, my vacuum heavier and all the kn*b and taps harder to turn. She even made my bed higher so that getting into and out of it is a real challenge.
Lately, she has been fooling with my groceries before I put them away, applying glue to the lids, making it almost impossible for me to open the jars. She has taken the fun out of shopping for clothes. When I try something on, she stands in front of the dressing room mirror and monopolizes it. She looks totally ridiculous in some of those outfits, plus, she keeps me from seeing how great they look on me.
Just when I thought she couldn't get any meaner, she proved me wrong. She came along when I went to get my picture taken for my driver's license, and just as the camera shutter clicked, she jumped in front of me
I hope she never finds out where you live!
Meg
x

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Happydays wrote: ↑12 Jul 2022, 18:05
We're 71 & 68 😝 Don't know how that happened 😱
There were plenty of people in 50+ age with a few in their forties plus of course older
40's? that is right in the middle of the diaper wearing periods of life. :)

Topic author
Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Meg, I think her sister has moved into my houseπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Return to β€œFred Olsen”