[Split] Sue and Garry Aurora cruise - Covid Discussion

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Sue and Garry Aurora cruise.

Post by anniec »

It has been known for a very long time that covid is not transmitted by touching surfaces. It is airborne, thus you are far more likely to contract it on a cruise when you are in a closed community for a long time than you are during a brief visit to a supermarket, cinema, pub, restaurant, service station or restaurant.

Sometimes, I despair. Your scientific 'knowledge' is about 2 years out of date.

Topic author
towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I am not certain that cruise ships reputation as seething petri dishes for germs is fully warranted, they are really no more enclosed than most large holiday resort hotels, especially on a port intensive cruise where many people are ashore, or even on sea days with the open decks and pools fully occupied.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

And, slightly different I know, there as many, if not more, cases of Norovirus in hospitals than there are on cruise ships.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

anniec wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 18:31

I think you had better tell the UK Health Security Agency that anniec. It will save your despair. :roll:

"The risk of catching or passing on COVID-19 is greatest when someone who is infected is physically close to, or sharing an enclosed and/or poorly ventilated space with, other people. When someone with a respiratory viral infection such as COVID-19 breathes, speaks, coughs or sneezes, they release small particles that contain the virus which causes the infection. These particles can be breathed in or can come into contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth. The particles can also land on surfaces and be passed from person to person via touch.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-safe ... g-covid-19
Last edited by oldbluefox on 03 Sep 2022, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I think we need to be very careful about the difference between "not" and "less often" it is true that Noro is most often passed by contact. But it can also, though.less often, be airborne. Similarly Covid is most often airborne. But can, though less often, be passed by contact.

To reduce the chances of infection precautions against both routes are relevant.

Are cruise ships more risky than supermarkets? If it comes down to length of exposure, which I believe it does, then overall I spend more time n supermarkets than I do on cruise ships.

Additionally I, and the other passengers, had to be vaccinated and do a LFT to get on Iona. There were no such precautions at Sainsburys this morning.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 03 Sep 2022, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

All I know is, all four of our group boarded Aurora for twelve nights wearing masks for the duration while moving around the ship and all four of us contracted Covid within a day or two upon returning home. A bit more than bad luck I think.

Mrs S and I have now come to the conclusion that we are no longer bothering with masks unless asked to do so as they did very little to protect us.
Last edited by Stephen on 04 Sep 2022, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm here at Warners Alvadton Hall in Cheshire. Seems full and only seen one guest wearing a mask.
Plenty of gel stations but nit that many using it.

Due to a broken down train on Friday my train was packed like sardines no one overdone wore a mask. I'm sure many think it's all over.
Home tomorrow.
Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 19:50
Are cruise ships more risky than supermarkets? If it comes down to length of exposure, which I believe it does, then overall I spend more time n supermarkets than I do on cruise ships.
Length of exposure is, imo, far less critical than the age of the ship and its air con systems.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: [Split] Sue and Garry Aurora cruise - Covid Discussion

That may well be a factor. I'm sure they've learned a lot about air con over the years and newer systems may well be better. Another factor of course might be that Aurora has a higher proportion of non-balcony cabins that are totally reliant on the air con for fresh air.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 04 Sep 2022, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

towny44 wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 18:43
I am not certain that cruise ships reputation as seething petri dishes for germs is fully warranted, they are really no more enclosed than most large holiday resort hotels, especially on a port intensive cruise where many people are ashore, or even on sea days with the open decks and pools fully occupied.
On a cruise ship, it's a closed community for the duration of the cruise. People arrive on the same day, and stay there for the 7/14 days, and also quite a few people go ashore together. Therefore, if Covid gets a foothold, it is likely to spread in the tightly knit closed community of the cruise ship.

Whereas, at resort hotels, people are arriving and departing on different dates, and the occupancy of the hotel is constantly changing, so it's not so much of a closed community. Also, there's likely to be grounds and gardens, so people can spread out more in open spaces, and people are more likely to go off on their own for daily outings.

I think there are some key differences between the two.
oldbluefox wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 18:52

"The risk of catching or passing on COVID-19 is greatest when someone who is infected is physically close to, or sharing an enclosed and/or poorly ventilated space with, other people. When someone with a respiratory viral infection such as COVID-19 breathes, speaks, coughs or sneezes, they release small particles that contain the virus which causes the infection. These particles can be breathed in or can come into contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth. The particles can also land on surfaces and be passed from person to person via touch.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-safe ... g-covid-19
As I understand it, Covid 19 is spread by aerosols, which can remain airborne almost indefinitely in most indoor situations. This is why good ventilation is an important mitigation so that fresh air can be let in, and the aerosol particles can be let out. That's not to say some limited surface transmission could happen in certain situations - but wearing a good quality mask and frequenting well ventilated spaces is a much better protection against Covid than hand sanitiser. (although there is nothing wrong with clean hands)
anniec wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 18:31
It has been known for a very long time that covid is not transmitted by touching surfaces. It is airborne, thus you are far more likely to contract it on a cruise when you are in a closed community for a long time than you are during a brief visit to a supermarket, cinema, pub, restaurant, service station or restaurant.

Another thing that always crosses my mind is that I'm not paying thousands of pounds to visit my supermarket or restaurant, and I wouldn't have to stay locked up there for a week if I did contract Covid !

It's surprising that people still don't really know how Covid spreads. I always have to smile when I go to the supermarket and see people carefully wiping down their trolley with antiseptic wipes..... but not bothering to wear a mask!
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

At the end of the day we all have to make our own decisions on what is an acceptable risk to us and what disruption to our "normal" lives we are prepared to accept.

Shopping for food is an essential. We have to decide whether to do it all on line or visit a store. We've changed habits since the pandemic. We never had supermarket delivery before. We have a weekly one now but are more relaxed about quick visits to top up.

If we never visit a pub to drink again we won't miss it, but we do enjoy popping out for a coffee, which we are doing more again, and restaurant meals from time to time.

For holidays abroad the flights worry us more than anything. We love Madeira and have a Timeshare there but we are consolidating to one visit a year rather than two to reduce the flight risk (and costs). When there it feels safer than home because rules have been stricter and well enforced.

As for cruising we still love it. We were nervous pre Iona but had a good experience and are now looking forward to our next two in 2023 and 2024. But I can fully understand why.those who have had a less positive experience are less keen.

At the end of the day the statistics are becoming less relevant. This is now all down to gut instinct and how we want to.live our lives.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

I am with Gill on this subject.

We are fortunate in that we own a caravan.

We are currently on our fifth UK break.

No pre-tests, no last minute tests and risk of denied boarding, no masks, no increased risk of covid due to mixing with large groups of people.

We have friends about to set off on a cruise and they have isolated themselves for the last two weeks to avoid getting Covid having caught it immediately before setting off for a cruise in Canada earlier in the year.

I can do without all that hassle.

So while Scarborough and Whitby may lack the exotic appeal of Dubrovnik and Split they suffice for now.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We are fortunate in that we own a caravan

So your the one causing the ten mile tail backs ;)

A chap round the corner from us has a beauty of a Caravan, a Bailey Alicanto Grande Porto. It looks the business. Not sure I'm tempted though, I like my creature comforts too much.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

That Bailey is serious bit of hardware, especially if it’s just a couple using it.
Ours is a bit more modest but I’m intrigued as to which creature comforts you would miss

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

allatc wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 18:14
That Bailey is serious bit of hardware, especially if it’s just a couple using it.
Ours is a bit more modest but I’m intrigued as to which creature comforts you would miss
You wouldn't want to know!!!! :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

allatc wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 18:14

Balcony and pool :lol:

Return to “About Aurora”