G239 Christmas Markets cruise

Iona cruises in 2022

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

G239 Christmas Markets cruise

Post by Whynd1 »

Well the countdown to this cruise continues and the cruise isnow only 10 days away.
I managed to input all the information and upload my photo and after a couple of attempts I was given my boarding g pass and have printed off the luggage labels.

Annoyingly P and Os IT has struck again and we cannot book the Limeight at the moment, they have been working on it since last Saturday. Have boomed one show.

So I am extremely nervous as it's a big ship,totally new to me and it's the first cruise since lockdown.

10 days will fly by now as have to prepare for Christmas and leave the family with a well stocked freezer.

Lindsey
Oh and it forecasts a bit of snow in Hamburg.

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: G239 Christmas Markets cruise

Post by poole boy »

whynd1 as we have been on 4 cruises this year and have another one booked for xmas I am sure you will have no problems we went on Iona over the half term break in october and the ship was full but in reality it was not to bad just that we like the adult only ships better.
we also went to Hamburg on this cruise and thought it was a really nice place and would not hesitate to go again there was hardly anyone wearing masks and it was just like cruising before covid hope you have a really nice trip and enjoy yourself

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My SiL has just returned from Hamburg on MSC.
She really liked it.
Her second cruise on MSC in three months.
She still prefers P&O but she said that the MSC price was ridiculously low.
Something like £549 for a balcony for a week, all drinks included.
An inside was three hundred and something.
Can’t see how they can make money at those prices?
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Well all packed and ready , it's been a bit of a marathon trying to get ready for Christmas and buying food to leave for the rest of the family ( husband and son) .

It's been strange packing boots,hats etc for the Christmas markets cruise.
Only downside the ship will be sailing full 5400 passengers, so will give me a chance to see how it copes !!!

Lindsey

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Have a great time Lindsey. I feel sure the Christmas markets will be fabulous.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Have returned from the Christmas markets cruise on Iona.
First time on Iona.
There were lots of children who had clearly been taken out of school, nursery or creche. Lots of children in pushchairs. Due to the weather being unseasonably cold most passengers spent sea days indoors and the noise level was very high in the atrium. When we were docked in Rotterdam overnight the doors were open to allow passengers to come and go and the ship became very cold.
Disliked the online booking system for the main restaurants and the second night we waited over and hour and 20 mins. We had prebooked the Olive grove for 2 nights which was excellent and the Limelight to see Matt Cardle also excellent. Food all around very good. We were treated to Christmas dinner on Thursday night along with table crackers.
No water left in the cabin now. Had an outside in deck 4 plenty of wardrobe space only downside as it was twin beds one was too close to the window seat and there wasnt enough room for you to sit properly.
Went to one headliners show and it was totally dire a bit like a holiday camp show. I left after 15 mins.

Christmas market in Bruges a bit of a let down instead of chalets it's just metal tin boxes.

Staff were all excellent and could not do enough for you. Met a few staff who had been on Aurora pre covid and remembered myself and my friend!!
Had a good week but if i were to book again it would have to be the right itinerary and definitely during term time.
An enjoyable week .
Lindsey

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

A couple of friends were also first timers on this cruise Lindsey. They liked the ship and particularly their cabin which was a standard balcony. Although from the video clip he showed me I thought it looked very snug. Nice shower room though.

They said food was pretty much the same in the regular restaurants as say Aurora, nothing special. They also noticed the cliental were noticeably below par. Probably being a seven night Christmas cruise and a new ship. They are by no means snobs but being very experienced cruisers they could see, and no doubt hear the difference.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Glad you enjoyed it Lindsey and very lucky to see Matt Cardle
He’s brilliant
What a voice
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

It was a lovely evening in the Limelight and Matt Cardle has a good voice. He was talking about his mental health, he seemed very fragile. He was the only act last week. The meal was excellent.

I seem to have picked up a nasty cold hope its nothing serious,covid test all clear.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Had a cold since Sunday and a cough,just done a covid test and have a faint positive line.

Can only have picked that up from the ship.

Really annoying as I need to visit mum in her care home and dad.

Lindsey

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The joys of cruising.

Hope you feel better soon Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Chums in the village have also just returned ... he has Covid but she doesn't
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Hi Lindsey - thanks for your report on your cruise - glad you enjoyed it but sorry to hear you’ve tested positive - hope you feel better soon and are able to see your parents.

Different ship but same thing happened to friends - returned home and tested positive!
Janis

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Lindsey,

Sorry to hear you’ve tested positive for Covid following your cruise. Hope you feel better soon.

Return to “Iona Cruises 2022”