Cruising secrets

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cruising secrets

Post by Dancing Queen »

Ahhh well I do know that Foxy but if I haven't got my contacts in can't read the damn numbers anyway :lol:

Not sure about P&O ships ( not checked since I found out ) but on Cunard the carpets on port and starboard whilst the same the edging on them are different colours, still takes me most of the holiday though to remember which colour is my side.
Jo

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

If you are doing a fly cruise then buy suntan oil and other toiletries when you get airside at the airport ... saves vital weight in the suitcases.

Ingram33
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ingram33 »

My husband's tip:-
Before going down to muster, take a few minutes in the cabin to adjust the strap on your life jacket to your personal fit - saves any messing and faffing around in front of everyone when the announcement is made for everyone to try their life jackets on and adjust as necessary - yours will be the perfect fit and you can sit right back down and finish your drink whilst enjoying watching everyone else struggle with the straps - :)

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

On each deck - lower numbers are nearer to forward, higher numbers are nearer to aft.

Em

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Boris+ wrote:
On each deck - lower numbers are nearer to forward, higher numbers are nearer to aft.

Em
And even numbers are port side, odd starboard.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Yip, and when I get a fit of the giggles (back to the infamous chicken feathers!!!) I can giggle the full length of the ship! :lol:

Ingram33
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ingram33 »

Don't be too tempted to buy many items in the shops on the first couple of days, wait for a while and there's always a sale/offer day and always better offers towards the end of cruise. In fact you can ask at the shops when their handbags sale is for example, or when they're going to do the £5/7 jewellery offer. Most assistants do not seem to mind telling you what day it will be.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

When packing I always put each shoe in a separate plastic carrier bag. Then I always pack a couple of empty plastic carrier bags, and then as and when the laundry pile starts to build up stuff is sorted into relevant laundry piles, so that when we get home the different piles have already been sorted.

Sad, I know - but that's the way it has been. We are going to try out the onboard laundry service on our next cruise, and then we'll know whether stuff does shrink badly in 'their' wash. That should help us in trying to pack 'less' for our part worldie.

Em

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

If you have a suitcase which is not quite full and there is a danger of things rattling about in it take up the extra space with bubble wrap. Better still fold any breakables up in it. If you come back with more than you took you can dispose of it.

AngieT
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by AngieT »

What's this 'space' in a suitcase that OBF speaks of - never come across that yet :?

We (the royal 'we' that is) are going to use the self service laundry this time but only for the first half of the 5 week cruise. After that I will put the used clothing in scented bin bags that I bought from Lakeland. At least they won't smell in the suitcase & I can enjoy the rest of the cruise on deck instead of in the laundrette!

Keechy
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Keechy »

[quote="Jaczs+"]When you exit the lifts you are facing forward

Sorry Jaczs, this seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Only all of Adonia's lifts face forward, Oceana has two of the forward lifts facing aft and on Aurora and Oriana, they all face aft. On Azura and Ventura, most face forward but four of the midships don't. On Arcadia, none face forward.
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Boxermum
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Boxermum »

Buy a couple of giant clips from Lakeland to keep your towel on your sunlounger. Nothing worse fixing your towel, sitting back and it has slipped down. :P

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Never forget to take your binoculars...if you’re in an inside cabin make friends with someone with a balcony :)

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

When in Palma, the hop-on, hop-off bus costs €15 for adults for 24 hours. It's half-price for over-65s, but you need to show your passport.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

jampanda
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by jampanda »

At late night snacks in the Venezia/Verona buffets, you can get hot chocolate or Horlicks from the hot drinks area for free, just have to ask a steward. (instead of purchasing from Java coffee shop )

unicus
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by unicus »

jampanda wrote:
At late night snacks in the Venezia/Verona buffets, you can get hot chocolate or Horlicks from the hot drinks area for free, just have to ask a steward. (instead of purchasing from Java coffee shop )
I've asked the stewards in Venezia/Verona for some sachets before and they gave me several so I can have them in the cabin.

CathyB
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by CathyB »

What great advice! Thanks everyone :)

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Mrs007 wrote:
Port has four letters the same as Left making it easier to remember, so when you're facing Forward (the pointy end) Port is to your left and Starboard is to your right. :)

Just don't call it the pointy end. ;)
Is the colour of the carpet not different on port and starboard Mrs007 ?, I seem to remember that was the way I found my way around on Arcadia plus the cabin numbers gave me an indication of forward,midships and aft.

It is easy to forget where you are on a ship though especially when you have sat in a bar for a few hics.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

A good tip I got from Gill on my recent cruise was that when you have unpacked your suitcase leave it open and it will slide under the bed easily and you can use the two half's as a two compartment drawer for shoes etc. It saves a lot of room in the wardrobe too.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

oldbluefox wrote:
Strawberries dipped in chocolate are wonderful! But order them early in your cruise.
Where do you get the Strawberries dipped in chocolate from Foxy ?

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Now that I've got one of those smartphone thingymibobs I will schedule my days on it with reminders for activities during the day.
For an old codger I am still a bit of an action man and I hate to miss things that are happening so my phone will come in handy for that.
bip bip 8:30 it is time to sit Cheryl on sunbed and go for walk to burn breakfast off. bip bip 9:00 Check on Cheryl fetch drinks and go to deck quoits on deck ## bip bip golf chipping contest on sports court. bip bip cricket in the nets and time for dip in pool and change for lunch.thud thud your battery is critically low doh !!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Raybosailor wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
Strawberries dipped in chocolate are wonderful! But order them early in your cruise.
Where do you get the Strawberries dipped in chocolate from Foxy ?
Just order them from Reception. Usually they are only available on Captain's Gala Night but we have asked for them at other times and if they have the strawberries they will do them for you. My idea of bliss (better even than City winning!!).

Jenjen
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Jenjen »

Hello :) I'm going on my first cruise at the end of Oct on the Azura (Iberian 7 night) I'm travelling alone and wonder if you can give me any tips on enjoying my cruise? I'm on a real budget and will only really have my onboard cash provided by P&O and a few Euros for the stop offs. I'm a real spa fan, foodie and easy going type :) thanks in advance xx

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

you can get away with spending nothing - other than tips.

your OBC will cover additional drinks, excursions etc
Meg
x

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Welcome to the forum, Jenjen.

You will need to budget for tips (I don't know what the current recommended amount is, but one of our friendly forumeers will be able to advise).

I would suggest booking your preferred excursions through the Cruise Personalised as soon as they are published as popular ones get booked solid very quickly and if you wait until you are onboard, it may be too late.

Spa treatments are expensive but the saunas and hot tubs will be free.

Do let us know how you get on.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “New to Cruising”