Topics relating to cruising with children

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Pushchairs

Post by Emrobo »

More information for people really...

Last time we took the pushchair on board with us but I have emailed them to ask if we can put the pushchairs on with the suitcases and they have replied to say you can do this - just need to use a luggage label I assume

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Puschairs

Post by Emrobo »

I seem to not be able to spell Pushchairs!!! Wish I could edit the title

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Puschairs

Post by oldbluefox »

I wondered if you were taking the cat with you!! :lol:

Sorted!!

Ginaberlosconi
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Pushchairs

Post by Ginaberlosconi »

That's definitely a good piece of information Emrobo. Thanks. (I didn't know that that was acceptable.)

Next time I go on a cruise I will stick a label on the pushchairs and send them through with the suitcases.

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

We carried them on last time with us ( well pushed).
Will let you know what happens to them as we are away in just over two weeks!

cookster
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by cookster »

We had a somewhat frustrating experience when we cruised this year (Jan 2014). We called the Flights Department before we flew out to advise as our child was only 20 months we would like the pushchair all the way to the gate in the UK and then ready for us on our arrival at BGI at the bottom of the aircraft steps. They agreed to this. Everything went to plan at EGKK, however due to us arriving later than expected at BGI, all passengers were unloaded and ushered onto the coaches to take us to the port, however the equipment to open the hold to get the likes of wheelchairs and pushchairs out was being utilised for other earlier aircraft's. We were stood in the BGI sun with our 19 month old waiting, and waiting knowing we had the queuing at the port warehouse for check in but they demanded we get on the bus to the port, so we had a tired child, and parents too and we had our hand luggage, baby in a rather warm environment, and it was only until later that evening that we had the buggy delivered to our cabin - sigh of relief as we had all sorts of visions going through our head, i.e. didn't make it onto the flight, lost between aircraft and ship, and had visions of buying a pushchair in Barbados...sadly on the way back, we had the buggy until the gate, and it made it back to EGKK, but it was deemed unusable when it came onto the carousel....I put it down the turbulence on the way back... ;)

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Emrobo wrote:
We carried them on last time with us ( well pushed).
Will let you know what happens to them as we are away in just over two weeks!

all was fine btw - no problems putting them on as luggage - they were waiting for us at our cabin door

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

cookster wrote:
We had a somewhat frustrating experience when we cruised this year (Jan 2014). We called the Flights Department before we flew out to advise as our child was only 20 months we would like the pushchair all the way to the gate in the UK and then ready for us on our arrival at BGI at the bottom of the aircraft steps. They agreed to this. Everything went to plan at EGKK, however due to us arriving later than expected at BGI, all passengers were unloaded and ushered onto the coaches to take us to the port, however the equipment to open the hold to get the likes of wheelchairs and pushchairs out was being utilised for other earlier aircraft's. We were stood in the BGI sun with our 19 month old waiting, and waiting knowing we had the queuing at the port warehouse for check in but they demanded we get on the bus to the port, so we had a tired child, and parents too and we had our hand luggage, baby in a rather warm environment, and it was only until later that evening that we had the buggy delivered to our cabin - sigh of relief as we had all sorts of visions going through our head, i.e. didn't make it onto the flight, lost between aircraft and ship, and had visions of buying a pushchair in Barbados...sadly on the way back, we had the buggy until the gate, and it made it back to EGKK, but it was deemed unusable when it came onto the carousel....I put it down the turbulence on the way back... ;)
eek - worse nightmare!! I hope this doesn't happen to us as my daughter is disabled and needs her special needs buggy at times, I have requested special assistance anyway. It was easier in Southampton as I could put it with luggage and she walked on okay and we had obviously drove from the hotel so not much walking for her.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

We had a similar problem when we flew to Malta many years ago. The buggy was bent in transit on the outward journey, and would no longer lock when erected. We resorted to lashing it together with a luggage strap. Mind you, on our cruise on Oceana to the Canaries last year (you were on that one) the luggage handlers at Southampton ripped the handle off my suit carrier, and bent the extending handle of one of our wheeled suitcases so it could no longer be retracted. :(

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Not so ancient mariner wrote:
We had a similar problem when we flew to Malta many years ago. The buggy was bent in transit on the outward journey, and would no longer lock when erected. We resorted to lashing it together with a luggage strap. Mind you, on our cruise on Oceana to the Canaries last year (you were on that one) the luggage handlers at Southampton ripped the handle off my suit carrier, and bent the extending handle of one of our wheeled suitcases so it could no longer be retracted. :(

really that is awful :(

We went to Disneyland this year and the buggy was slightly off probably due to being chucked on so we had to send it off for repair

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Our son & DIL took their pushchair aboard Emerald Princess at Ocean terminal recently, and with luggage labels attached it duly made to their cabin on embarkation, and to the baggage reclaim when we disembarked.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “Cruising with Children”