melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's Adventures of 3 boats & a Baltic Heatwave Part 8

Post by melsea »

25th May
Tallinn, Estonia.

Another sunny & warm day.

Our cruise seems to have an identity crisis in that it thinks it is in the med and not the Baltic's as we are having amazing weather that no one was expecting especially the places we have been visiting. The locals in the all the ports have been just as surprised as us with this weather. Today is no exception.
I got off as soon as we were able to. I could not remember how we got into town before but I certainly do remember the beautiful medieval old town. I used the shuttle bus as today we had to be back on board at 2.30 unlike last time we had to be back on board a little later. Just as I boarded the shuttle bus my cruise card was scanned, this was so that I would be charged for the use of the bus as I was on a saver fare. For this port £3 each way.
Short journey 15 minutes arrived at out drop off point. As soon as we were dropped off I recognised the place and remembered I had indeed got the shuttle the last time. So off I went in search of this beautiful little medieval town and explore more of the place than last time. We were handed a map of the city which was very useful and easy to follow. It had listed on the back all the points of interest which is always a good thing to have as you can't always carry with you all the guide books for a cruise. The area that nearly everyone enters is through the Viru Gates, the 14th century round towers at the bottom of Viru street are actually only the fore gates of what was a much more complex gate system. They have become the symbol of the town. Just to the left here I saw one member of staff who was using his laptop to connect, home I should imagine. I briefly connected then went on my way along the Müürivahe street which leads to an entrance of the Hellemann Tower. This three story tower gives visitors a chance to walk along a 200 m stretch of the wall. Dating to the the 14th C, it has been used as a prison and a who pans store, but nowadays houses an art gallery. For 3€ I went up to the walkway which a good view, I had not read the piece I have just written about how long the walkway was so I was a little disappoint that it did not go any further. You could not see from the ground that it did not go further but for what it was it was okay. You could see more of the town by going up into the round tower. Took photos and went on my way. I continued on this street and I was heading towards what was the tallest building in the world 'St. Olav's Church'. On the info map it tells you, from 1549 to1625 this 14th century Gothic church was the tallest building in the world. In medieval days it's 169 metre spire would have made it a truly inspiring sight. At 124 metres, the currant spire still towers over the town, and in spring and summer daring visitors can climb up for an amazing view. I arrived here and forgot it was a Sunday and there was a service going on as there was in another church I went into when making my way to St.Olav's. The charge to go up the tower here was €2. I looked in my purse and found that it was devoid of euros, I had left what euros I had in the safe on the ship!! I forgot to take them out. Anyway I continued on my way and found myself at a small park which appeared to have exhibits of art integrated with plant life and in fact Tallinn is hosting the Tallinn Flower Festival. I had not been to this part of Tallinn and it was a pleasant find.
I headed towards the Town Hall Square which is the hub of this part of the old town. There are various restaurants surrounding the square and with the sunny very warm day we were having it was the perfect setting for spending a Sunday. There was a large mobile stage that looked as though a young band consisting of 7 male & female members, was about to strike up a cord or two. There were benches in front of it where one could sit, watch & listen. As soon as they started to play a few 'older' people who were sat on the same as bench as me got up resulting in me almost being thrown to the ground but I was able to keep my balance staying seated and not end up looking an absolute plonker landing on my bum. Anyway the music was fairly rocking and they were very good. When they finished another man came onto the stage and spoke to the crowd. It turns out that they were performing a Sunday service, modern style. I stay for a few songs which were sung in a heartfelt and passionate way, it was very good and certainly a different thing to see and enjoy. I decides to get some euros from an ATM so that I could go back to the St.Olav Church and go up the steps to the top. From the ground you could see people were outside taking the view and bearing in mind it's a long way up I could not really see what they were standing on. So there I was making my way up the steps which I must add it is a long way up and unlike the tower in Bruges that had places for you to stop to catch ones breath this one was a continuous stairwell and has very little room when others were passing you on the way up or down. Eventually I got to the point of where I was beneath the spire and almost ready to go out. Just before doing that there was a man in a booth and what his job is anyone's guess. When I got up the final steep ladder steps I was outside but holy moly it was not what I was expecting as the viewing platform was not exactly what I was expecting. There was how shall I say it, the platform was actually sitting on the curve of the spire. They had laid what I can best describe as decking wood in strips of 3 and 4 all the way round. They did have a strong wire mesh caging that covers from your feet to over your head. If anyone has a fear of heights in great dollops then I would not even tempt you to even try. Having said all that I very much like the view even though it was a little too close to the wind but if you are daring it is worth it. At 2€ it was the better value than the earlier view.
Time was moving on and so I made my way back to where the shuttle bus dropped us off. Again my cruise card was zapped (scanned). I got back to the ship at just before 2pm. I had something to eat and then I went to the sail away using my sail away drinks voucher to get a champagne, last time I got the non alcoholic option of Elderflower Presseé drink, so I thought I'll go for the strong stuff. At around 3.30 I visiting the Hydropool spa where I was able to relieve the various aches and pains from the three days of ports, it was wonderful.
This evenings entertainment was Bobby Crush, who I did not go to see. Our table decided we would try the syndicate quiz which was held in all places the Crows Nest!. We came fourth which wasn't bad.
We had a sea day before arriving at our last port Copenhagen, which will be my last report.

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”