A Slow Boat to Iceland

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

A Slow Boat to Iceland

Post by Kenmo1 »

We went to Iceland two years ago and did the 2 main trips in Iceland, The Golden Circle Tour in Reykjavik and Jewels of the North in Akureyri but we didn't get around to exploring the towns plus there were some other new ports for us to visit so thought we would go back on our favourite ship, Arcadia, from the 16th to 28th June. We left the Isle of Wight on Sunday, 15th June on the 19.15 pm Red Jet after watching a Red Arrows display immediately above our bungalow at 5pm as there was a display for the IOW Festival goers. We stayed at the Premier Inn at West Quay for £39 and this is right next to the Carnival Building and immediately behind the West Quay shopping complex. Nice room, continental breakfast cost £6.25 each but for those with cars you have to use the West Quay Multi Storey Car Park - I think I saw a sign saying a concession price of £5 for 24 hours but I may be wrong. We took a taxi to Mayflower Terminal and we were on board by 11.45 and went straight to the Meridian for the Baltic lunch. Room ready at 2pm and as our cases were in the area near Reception we took them to our room ourselves (G62 on the Reception area level). We were unpacked by 3.30pm. Since our last cruise on Arcadia in September there has been a refit and large screen Smart TVs have been installed in the cabins. Another change in the refit was the getting rid of the old, very under used disco and The Globe is now used as the disco after the main dancing sessions end about midnight. We noticed more noise in our cabin late at night (a strum, strum, strum beat) which might annoy early to bed people. We looked at the Sailaway Party led by Christine Noble, Cruise Director. A pleasant, well spoken lady but I'm afraid she didn't 'float our boat' at all during the cruise as we prefer the likes of Leon de St Croix and Dom Hones who are real bundles of fun. At 8.45pm we went to the Lower Meridian where we bumped into Michael our previous waiter who greeted us with a kiss and a hug. We then went to meet our table companions on table 44 at the back of the Meridian who were super and a real pleasure to sit with. One was Johnds from the forum along with his wife,Joyce, friends Frank and Sue and the other two on the table were George and Chris. All were great company.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: A Slow Boat to Iceland

Post by Kenmo1 »

The 17th, 18th and 19th were sea days. We hardly seemed to move - our average speed must have been about 13/14 knots during the whole cruise. I should think the crabs on the seabed probably moved faster than us. The sea state was good throughout the trip and the weather was very reasonable throughout the whole cruise so long as you were sensibly dressed as the wind could be quite chilly at times. I think one PO excursion had a quick heavy rain shower on a visit to one of the waterfalls in Reykjavik but I don't recall any other rain. We actually got our faces and legs a bit sunburnt one day at sea after falling asleep in the sun. However, some parts of Arcadia can be quite chilly with the fierce air conditioning and that included the dining room at night time particularly near the windows.

We had plated meals for the first time on this cruise. It was a bit of a shock when the first plate was put in front of me and I expected some more food to be added to the gaps on it but actually the size of the meal was adequate for me, the meals were hot and served quickly most times and we seemed to finish in plenty of time to get to the shows. There is no way the waiters have more time to spend with the guests as they seem to have more tables to deal with.
The menus were very good and we managed to find something to enjoy every night.

We seriously struggled with the daytime entertainment - Concorde again and the selling talks from the Spa etc. The new Headliners group improved by the end of the cruise. The John Denver tribute act was very good and Martin Gold, comedian, was OK the second time. Paul Emanuel was also a good singer.
Maureen

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Reykjavik - we caught the free shuttle which dropped us off at the Opera/Conference Hall near the Old Harbour. We headed up to the Lutheran Church with its stunning architecture. We paid 1,400 ISK which was £7.23 to cover both of us for a trip up in the lift to the bell tower. Well worth a visit with great views over the town from windows all around. When we came down there was a long queue of schoolchildren waiting to go up so we were lucky to get there early. We then wandered back down the hill looking at the shops and brightly painted, corrugated covered houses towards the Old Harbour. Looking at the map we spotted the Elding Whale Watching Office about a ten minute walk from where the shuttle bus dropped us. As the last shuttle back to the ship was due to leave at 5pm we thought we would find out if they had any vacancies at 1pm for a 3 hour trip, which we ended up booking. For two of us it cost 17,000 ISK which credit card company converted to £87.78. We wanted to stay up on top deck right by the whale spotter so I put on a red quilted survival suit which caused us lots of laughter but I was glad I did. Macho man, Ken, didn't but he doesn't mind the cold. However, I did realise that for 3 hours there was no way I was going to be able to use the loo as it would have been a major operation. We did not see a single thing even though we stood right next to the spotter. After about an hour of heading out to sea he occasionally said whale at 1 o'clock, whale at 3 o'clock but we saw zilch and other people we spoke to also said the same. So approximately £88 wasted but the PO excursion also didn't have much luck so £150 wasted there.

Many people on the Arcadia saw dolphins and whales from the back of the boat and the Crows Nest so that cost them nothing but we only saw the dolphins which came right up close to Arcadia on the first day at sea.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Isafjordur - we moored in the fjord. Stunning sight with strips of snow on the mountains. We went ashore by tender and wandered around in the bright sunny weather. Had a couple of lattes and a cookie in the very busy bakery/cafe (1.150 ISK - about £6.50. I think). I have never seen such huge dandelions growing in nearly every garden. There were hundreds of them. I'm not sure what this place would offer on a wet day so would probably be a good place to book a trip. We left here about 5.15 and it was lovely scenery on the way out.

Akureyri - We were here from 8am until 4.30pm. Again snow on the hills/mountains around the fjord. It was sunny at first but the wind could be a bit icy in places. We walked into town very easily and climbed the 100 or so steps up to the church. It is only open from Monday to Friday so we were unable to go in as it was a Sunday. We then climbed on up the hill to the Botanical Gardens which were lovely. Two coffees cost us 940 ISK (about £5). At all the places we visited in Iceland we used our credit card with no problems. In town we bought a hat for Ken for 1690 ISK (about £9). Again the PO whale watching excursion was unsuccessful but some people in the Crows Nest saw one about 11pm. Again no luck for me although I kept looking until 1 am.

Monday - At sea. For the first time in about 15 years of cruising our cabin stewardess made us a towel animal. I was thrilled - just a bit disappointed that she had used our chocolates for the eyes of the elephant so I couldn't eat them. She also made us a dog later in the week - again using the evening chocolates.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Torshavn, Faroe Islands. - The television information timed for 3.05 am stated the temperature at 10 degrees C and the sea state as Confused - don't think I've seen that used to describe the sea state before. We were tendered ashore and were able to see the dwellings with grass growing on their roofs. I suppose they have to climb up and cut the grass occasionally. We wandered around the town and the harbour for a few hours. We climbed a hill to a monument which I think may have been to a regiment but we couldn't understand the sign but we had good views over the town and we got some good photos of Arcadia in the distance. We found the bus station and we later heard that some of the cruisers had caught a free bus which took them out and about.

The last tender back was 3.30pm. At 4.30 pm reception were still calling for a lady. At 4.45 we saw a boat come out and an elderly lady was put back on to the ship. Not sure if she just missed the last tender or whether there had been a medical problem.

Wednesday, Kirkwall on Orkney. What an absolute gem this place is. We caught the shuttle into town to the bus station. We just missed the 10am departure of the Discover Orkney double decker bus which does a 3 and 1/2 hour trip for £8.30 per person. We knew there was another at 2pm so went off to see if I could get a hair appointment. Got one straight away-£10.50 for cut and blowdry then wandered round the lovely little town and did some shopping. Got the 2pm Discover Orkney bus and luckily for my hair sat under the front cover on the top deck. It was a bright, sunny afternoon and the place is stunning and green.Had an hour at Skara Brae, a stoneage village.Also went to Skiall House a manor house next door.We paid £5.70 each. We stopped at the Ring of Brodgar stones, saw Scapa Flow and the 2nd town Stromness. Talk about value for money even though we couldn't understand the driver's accent.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

The last 2 days were sea days. Very calm and travelling at only 11 knots. That evening as we sat up in the Crows Nest we were overtaken by the Ruby Princess which was travelling at a much faster pace than us although it was due in Southampton at the same time as us.

We had priority disembarcation at the QEII terminal although that was a waste of time as they put 2 of our cases in with the D level cases and having searched and searched the G level where we found one case, it then took us ages to find the other 2 cases. However, we just managed to catch the 9.15 am Red Jet back to the Isle of Wight and we were home by 10am.

A very good cruise with decent weather, good dining companions and interesting ports. Just fed up I didn't see a whale. :cry: :cry:

Maureen

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Sorry you didn't see a whale, Maureen. The best place we have found for seeing them is the Indian Ocean. Your trip sounds interesting - if a little chilly. Thanks for sharing with us.
Gill

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

great report Maureen, we are doing most of the ports mentioned and the whale watching tour as well, we also booked locally at a fraction of the ship tour cost
fingers crossed we see a Minke or tow
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

A Slow Boat to Iceland

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Hi Maureen, sorry we never got to meet. Thanks for your report, it saved me a lot of typing :)

We saw Minke whales on both evenings on the run across the top of Iceland. About 22:50 out of Isafjördur there were a few out to port and the next evening off to starboard at around 23:00. They caused a bit of a hiccup in the syndicate quiz. There were also quite a few dolphins of various types going up the Irish Sea.
Im on my ipad at the moment and I'll try to add our comments later.

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Hi Maureen
Beat me to it and nicked my title :lol:
It was great to meet up and to share a table with you and Ken
I haven't much else to say and I do agree with what you have said.
I think your part of the ship must have been travelling faster than ours and I would doubt we averaged 12 kts.
All the way from Iceland to Dover I never saw above 11 kts and we spent quite some time on the last day at 9 kts.
We did speed up I thought when we got in the channel and I saw 12.6 but thought it was we were becoming a danger to shipping :lol: :lol:
We really did enjoy the cruise but I'm sad to have to agree with your comments re the cruise director. We have liked her a lot in the past
and were pleased to see her but time and tide etc.
Agree too about the Headliners - new troupe - shaky start got better later.
Daytime entertainment dire for the most part - thinly disguised sales pitches. I do enjoy listening to Michael Bedenham the port presenter
who is very knowledgeable and seems not to need notes about anywhere. Concord again - agree entirely though Christine Noble didn't see my point
Singers, comedian, John Denver tribute very good but for my part I suffered the violinist for one show because I couldn't escape. He can play the violin but how pretentious can one man be.
Found it unbelievable that he was to reappear as the entertainment for the final night. Did complain to Cruise Director but was firmly told that "It's only your opinion"
Did look in at 10:35 p.m. to see him playing to a house that was at least 60% empty.
Played cricket for first time in 35 years. Hard isn't it - I was useless. 6th out of six the first time but when we played as teams improved to be second twice but then there were only two teams.
As ever we joined the choir. Really enjoyed the practices directed by Dep Cd Emma who left with us to join Aurora. If you heard the performance - hope you liked it.
Very very minor moan "Duty Free" gin to take home now £15. It was £10 or £11 I think last October. Didn't buy any because I prefer "Oliver Cromwell " gin which is much cheaper at Aldi.
Food - didn't really take to plated meals but when I wanted a different vegetable it was produced easily. Some great meals (beef wellie outstanding) but some that left something to be desired.
Trips - Golden Circle at Reykjavic, expensive but very good. Isafjordur - used school bus as taxi driven by local teacher outstanding trip fantastic value took us to her home. Akureyi - took Maureens advice and did Jewels of the North - great advice, loved it, Torshavn - Three villages with P&O surprisingly interesting. Kirkwall same as Maureen but in the morning.

I said I had little to addd but I've gone on enough. Great company was the icing on the cake - getting worried about Ken and Joyce though ;) ;)
John
John

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Hi John - perhaps I was being a bit generous with the number of knots. You are probably right - the engine would have stalled if we had gone much slower. I have put on 4lbs and Ken has put on 2lbs - how can that be right. You saw him eat and drink much more than me. I never had soup or rolls because I thought it would keep the calories down and I didn't have wine at the table. It is so unfair.

We had a great time with you, Joyce and the others. We looked forward to dinner every night. It must be horrible to be stuck on a table with a load of grumpy people so we were very happy with to be with you all.

Love from Maureen and Ken x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks Maureen & Co. Sorry you missed the whales. If it's any comfort we have never seen any either. It's a good excuse for another cruise that way.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Great report Maureen. Really got me wanting to do an Iceland cruise.

Glad you had such a good time.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Great report Maureen

thanks very much !
Empty vessels .. and all that

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Great report Maureen, sorry we missed wishing you Bon Voyage :oops: ... welcome home :wave:

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I know it isn't a subject usually covered but when we are wandering about it is often useful to know where the toilets are especially if you haven't bothered to get the local currency.

Reykjavik - Standing outside the main door of the Lutheran Church, look across the green at a diagonal right and there is a large, round, black metal construction. At first we thought we had to pay but on the front right of the door there was grey button with a free notice on it.
Isafjordur - We used the ones in the cafe/bakery but we noticed some others down where we queued for the tender and I think they were free.
Akureyri - Very clean ones in the Visitors Information Centre outside of the dock gates. It is a large, dark coloured round building as you start to walk to the town. There are also some in the cafe at the Botanical Gardens.
Torshavn - We found clean, free ones at the bus station in the town.
Orkney - Again free clean ones at the bus station waiting room.

I'm sure there are more so hope this information helps.

Maureen

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Hello Maureen - thanks for posting your report - sounds as if you had a good time especially around the dining table - good company makes such a difference :thumbup:

It's a few years since I visited Iceland so you've brought back quite a few lovely memories for me :)
Janis

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Wina G wrote:
Great report Maureen, sorry we missed wishing you Bon Voyage :oops: ... welcome home :wave:
Hi Wina, I must have been busy putting on my recent entry about loos so only just seen your entry. Hope you are both well. See that you have changed your India trip dates so that Rob can see his beloved football.

Love, Maureen x

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks Maureen/John, enjoyed that :)

Maureen, I did wonder if there would be any noise from the Globe now - do you mind me asking which cabin you were in?

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

DM

Looked for THE book but didn't see it on Arcadia

John
John

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Forgot to mention the soup

I don't know what happens to the soup between kitchen and table but it is often a mess
The bowls are half full but the soup has swirled to the top on the inside during transit. It was often over the top and had run down the outside of the bowl and on odd occasions we had soup in the saucer. Just looked messy and uncared for. Still if that's all there is to moan about ......................... keep calm and carry on

John
John

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Cheers John. I think they actually sold out of the (2 or 3) copies they had on Arcadia, but thanks for looking :)

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Thanks Maureen/John, enjoyed that :)

Maureen, I did wonder if there would be any noise from the Globe now - do you mind me asking which cabin you were in?
DTM - our cabin was number G62. I noticed it more in the bathroom. It certainly wouldn't put us off using G62 again but we were more aware of it than last time. We didn't go to bed until well past midnight and that was usually after downing the cocktail of the day which knocks me out anyway. Christine Noble did mention that people had been using the disco until 2 am and I certainly wasn't aware of being kept awake that late. It could be that we were more 'tuned' into listening for the noise as we were in G60 in September and we were wondering if the changes would make a difference.

Hope that helps.

I quite agree with John regarding the state of the soup bowls, especially when it was cream of tomato. Not sure if it was due to sloppy serving in the kitchen or the poor little waiter struggling to carry the soups. Although the plated meals had their good points, I still missed the silver service. It feels a bit like dumbing down of the dinner experience.
Maureen

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thanks Maureen. We normally have a cabin around the g50's so good to know :-)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Great review Maureen so pleased you had a good time even if you didn't see the whales :(
Jo

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”