Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

An Arcadian Christmas - J422 20/12/2014 to 27/12/2014

Post by Gill W »

I recently returned from this cruise.

I didn't do a cruise diary this time, but made a few notes on a few points of interest, which I'll post here, in case any one wants to have a read!

Embarkation.

We had been given a check in time of 14.45, which was far too late for our feelings of comfort, so we turned up at the Ocean Terminal at just after noon.

Our car was held in a small queue, to await our turn at the unloading area. After a few minutes we were ushered forward, and almost before we had stopped, one of the porters had the boot lid open to take our cases!

Car formalities over with, we made our way up to escalator, and were advised that there was no priority check in for this cruise. We were given a card, letter N, and settled to wait for a while. As we arrived, letter J was being called.

After a while, our group was called forward to check in. This was totally as normal, no one questioned our early arrival - in fact our eticket was barely looked at.

We were also given a ticket for the 'priority lounge' onboard.

I'm sure that had more security scanners available than the last time we were at the Ocean. The queues at security were very short. Also, there was no hold up with photos being taken. The welcome aboard photo was taken on board for those who wanted one.

The whole thing was very relaxed, and the terminal wasn't crowded. (Perhaps everyone else adhered to their check in time!)

We were in the dining room with our snacks well before 1pm. The cabins were ready by about 1.50pm. Suitcase delivery looked a little slow. Normally there are lots of cases in the corridor outside the cabins by the time the cabins are ready for occupation, but this time the cases seemed to wait on the landings for quite a while. But one of our cases arrived by about 2.30pm, and we noticed our other case on the landing shortly afterwards, so took it to our cabin ourselves.

But, overall, a pretty good embarkation.

Dietary requirements

This was my first cruise after starting a low sodium lifestyle, and I was a little nervous about what it would be like on board.

But there was no need to worry at all, in fact the restaurant people couldn't do enough for me.

On the first night, I had melon for starters and steak for mains, but after that my super helpful head waiter Jovi gave be the next days menu, so I could choose what I wanted, to give them the chance to cook my selections without any added salt.

We also visited Ocean Grill and East. I called in the previous evening to make my selections, and Jovi left the main dining room menus for the following evening with the managers of Ocean Grill and East, so I could make my choices for the next night.

For breakfast and lunch I ate in the buffet and I would have done normally, although I could have had a specially prepared lunch in the MDR if I had wanted. But I had more than enough choice in the buffet to suit my dietary needs.

Food is a big part of the cruise experience, and I can't praise highly enough the personal attention I received. In the past, I think I had a tendency to almost take the food for granted, but now I am so thrilled that I could enjoy my meals fully, thanks to the care of the catering staff.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: An Arcadian Christmas - J422 20/12/2014 to 27/12/2014

Post by Gill W »

Booking the Christmas dinner

Being on Freedom dining, we were aware that we'd have to pre-book our Christmas Dinner.

The information we had prior to the cruise indicated that the booking would happen on the morning of 22nd December, our first sea day. However, once on board, we were advised that there would be a further time for booking, on the afternoon on 21st December, between 3 pm to 5pm.

As luck would have it we returned for our tour at 3pm, so we thought we'd do our booking before returning to our cabin.

There was only a small queue, so we thought, so we tagged on to the end of it. This was actually quite entertaining, as several people in the queue asked why we were queuing. It turned out that some club dining people had seen the queue and decided to join it, as they were afraid they were missing out on something!

We got to the head of the queue, and were handed ticket number 72.

We then sat in the dining room waiting for our ticket to be called, then we could book the table. The whole process took around 50 minutes. As we were seated for most of this time, and we were able to get ourselves coffee, it wasn't arduous.

We were given our preferred table for two, although next morning another card was left in our cabin, advising us of a different table number, also a table for two. Then a few days later to maitre d' approached us in the main dining room, and asked us if we wouldn't mind being moved to another table, also for two, which we agreed to. He explained that first sitting was so popular, he was really having to shoehorn people in!

I suppose it was all a small 'faff', but only a small part of the holiday in all.

Freedom dining

During our last cruise, which was in September 2013 on Azura, we had almost fallen out of love with freedom dining, but this cruise restored our faith in the system.

I think they've noted that people like to dine early, so they've changed the start time of dinner. Previously, the doors opened at 6pm for Freedom - this has changed to 5.45pm. I don't know what the queues were like at this time, but when we've turned up at any time from 6 pm to 6.30pm, there would only be a few people waiting to go in, although the restaurant was already quite busy.

The upper tier of the Meridian has lots of tables for two, which are often popular with freedom diners. This meant we were generally seated straight away on our table for two, or if not, our pager rang after about 20 minutes.

All in all, a good experience.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

The Christmas Experience on board.

This is the first time I have ever been away from home at Christmas, so I was wondering whether I'd like doing something so different at this time of year.

In short, I enjoyed it very much.

I think they made a really good effort for the festive season.

On the day we boarded, (20th), a visiting choir sang carols in the Piano Bar. The Piano Bar / Atrium area was very nicely decorated, with a very large Christmas tree at reception level. All over the ship, there were many Christmas trees, and the 'piped' music was all festive tunes. On the morning of 23rd, as if by magic a fantastic gingerbread village had sprung up overnight. Well, not quite by magic - it had taken them two weeks to prepare and four hours to assemble! On the afternoon of Christmas Eve, a large crowd gathered, in sub zero temperatures in snowy Oslo, to welcome Santa. It was rather surreal, a ship full of adults being so keen to welcome Father Christmas! That evening, Headliners did a special show called Cruising into Christmas. It was nice to see a different Headliners show, although I was rather hoping for a panto!

I felt Christmas Day was a little quiet, although it was nice to come down to dinner to the sound of the officers and crew singing carols in the Piano Bar.

The Christmas evening dinner was fun, with everyone wearing party hats. Throughout the ship, for the whole cruise, the waiters and bar staff were wearing Santa hats.

On Boxing Day afternoon, there was a variety show, featuring the entertainments team doing that infamous sketch about what they would do if they weren't at sea, which seemed to be well received. Well, it made me laugh!

To sum up

When I look back on this cruise, the main things I'll remember will be

Copenhagen on 23rd December. Our visit to Tivoli Gardens, all decked out for Christmas, and all the lights as it began to get dark.

Christmas Eve in Oslo. Sub zero temperatures, with a light covering of snow on the ground. The Christmas holiday starts on the 24th in Norway, so there was hardly any traffic on the road, so we could wander round, having the city to ourselves. Then back to the ship for mulled wine.

Christmas Eve afternoon. A large crowd came out to the Aquarius Pool, in sub zero temperatures, with a back drop of the early dusk of snowy Oslo, for carols, and to welcome Father Christmas.

Lots of people wearing Christmas jumpers.

The decorations and the nice atmosphere all round the ship.

It wasn't entirely perfect...... I understand some cabins on B deck has a flood in the early hours of Christmas morning, which was unfortunate.

But, overall, this cruise was a very enjoyable one.

I think I'd like to go away at this time of year again, but maybe to include New Year. The fireworks in Madeira would be nice.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Footnote

I forgot to mention the refurbishments following the refit

Main things I noticed were the doors on the The Globe, the shop area has been opened out so it looks much more spacious. The large wall mounted flat screen TV's in the cabin were nice.

The best refurbishment was the Crows Nest. They've done it out in blues and creams, a very attractive room and the seating is very comfortable. This was our favourite daytime seating area.
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks for an interesting review if your Christmas cruise, it sounds as you you enjoyed it overall.
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Cheers Gill

we're on her next year and looking forward to it
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks Gill. I have often wondered what life on a cruise at Christmas time was like. One day, hopefully..................

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'm giving serious consideration to Xmas 2016

It may have to be a fly cruise though as I like to see a bit of sunshine.

Or, we may do something totally off the wall and head north.

I'll see what comes out and with whom.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Cheers Gill, enjoyed that :)

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin