Glacier trips in Iceland

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Glacier trips in Iceland

Post by Boris+ »

Has anyone done any of the glacier trips in Iceland?

I know that there may be one which uses a 'snow truck' and one which involves crampons and ice-picks.

Any experiences to report?

Many thanks

Em

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Glacier trips in Iceland

Post by Manoverboard »

Didn't realise that you were a clamp-on type of girl :shock:

Try this out for size .... enjoy.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi MoB,

We had advice etc from fellow forumeers before we went up the Briksdal Glacier. We did a bit of preparation before we went, got fitter and had a lovely time,

I'm up for trying the crampon and ice-pick lark - and if I have a good think about it now, then I can have great fun getting ready for it. I certainly prefer to see if I can manage it and then do what I can to ensure that (a) I'm safe doing it, and (b) I don't spoil the experience for anybody else by being a 'lame duck'.

So, any advice gladly received.

We've already identified a couple of walks which are of interest, and which we reckon we can manage in the time available.

Many thanks

Em

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Whilst I would not consider myself a mountaineer, especially on ice, I think I would give the idea of crampons and ice-picks a miss unless I had experienced using them well beforehand. Crampons are a wholly new experience, even down to the way you walk lest you shred your inner ankles, but I expect the use of them and ice picks demands a good level of leg and arm strength very different from the stroll up to the Briksdal Glacier.
I certainly wouldn't book this excursion without speaking to the tour reps on board first otherwise you could find yourself in a bunch of fit, strong 20 something year olds champing at the bit. If you feel you could keep up with them, go for it. I consider myself reasonably fit but no longer in that league.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I would also suspect that "normal" travel insurance would not cover you for this type of activity.

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Aha, yes well - the travel insurance bit is going to be sorted out before too long.

It's ages since I've done this sort of activity, but I am reasonably fit, and will do some form of training beforehand. I'm lucky in that our daughter has friends who are qualified in this sort of lark, and we won't do it unless we are comfy with everything. Come on, you should know me by now - I don't take a chance if it's too risky.

There's always the possibility though that if not enough people book the excursion then it will be cancelled/refunded - and that's happened to me before.

I wanted to do the kayak trip in Dubrovnik (and please note the paddle route past the nudist beach was absolutely NOTHING to do with it), and that got cancelled due to lack of people.

Still, the training won't do any harm - we'll just get fitter.

Em

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

you would be better off doing the Golden Circle tour rather than trying to climb a glacier
As I doubt even with "training" you would be either fit enough or capable enough to do it
Nihil Obstat

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi DK,

Point noted - but being a stubborn old cuss I reckon it's going to be a lovely walk on a glacier. I used to do loads of climbing when I was younger, so maybe we'll be ok.

The one thing I really don't want to do is to sit on a coach a lot - not this year.

We've already identified some 'walks' - some coastal - and we've got paper maps and also we've been busy online doing research a bit. It'll keep us busy for a couple of months, and getting out and about can't be a bad thing in the meantime.

So, we're doing stuff based on the time we know we'll have available, and planning to be able to 'more than' handle distances within the time limits.

However, a big thankyou for your response.

Happy cruising to you for 2015.

Em

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Sorry Boris
I thought you were referring to a "proper" ice climbing not just the genteel stroll type of excursion ,where you just stroll about on some ice
we looked at one or two of those before we went to Iceland but just climbing up an 8-10 ft rock whilst being helped by loads of ropes and assistants isn't really what we thought of as ice climbing

Each to their own
Nihil Obstat

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Sorry DK,

But I'm not going to do a 'genteel stroll' as you put it - I'm not exactly looking for something really tall to get to grips with either; but it won't be lazy, that's for sure.

I want this to be an experience to enjoy and remember - and that's what I'm planning for .... weather permitting. My husband will agree to this activity, he doesn't want to do whale watching etc., so this is my 'choice'.

Em

Return to “Europe”