Gdansk (Gdynia)

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Gdansk (Gdynia)

Post by Grando »

We are doing the Baltic next week on Caribbean Princess and visiting 2 new ports for us, and was wondering if anyone has been recently to Gdansk and Stockholm. Would appreciate any tips and information on getting into Gdansk, understand its about 17 miles from the port, have been looking at the ships excursions. Also Stockholm. Many thanks. Doreen

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Gdansk (Gdynia)

Post by Kenmo1 »

Thanks for asking this question, Doreen, as we are also doing the Baltic cruise on Caribbean Princess with some friends and we are trying to decide what to do at the Gydnia/Gdansk stop. I have read Peter D's Ports of Call information and I think it is likely that we may just have a wander around Gydnia. This port of call comes towards the end of the cruise and we found our previous visit to the Baltic quite exhausting as it is a very intensive city port holiday, as I'm sure you are aware, and we seemed to be pounding the city streets quite a bit.

Like you, I will be very interested to hear what information anyone can provide about Gdansk or Gydnia.

A couple of years ago we caught the PO shuttle bus into Stockholm and were dropped by the Opera House. It was pleasant just wandering around the old area near the Royal Palace and along by the river. Lots of ferries were going backwards and forwards to some of the islands. I should imagine a lot of people were heading to the Vasa Museum which seems to be one of the more famous attractions. Sailing in and out of Stockholm is very scenic and there are hundreds of little islands, some inhabited and some not.

Enjoy your holiday. Caribbean Princess is totally new to us so it will be interesting. Maureen :wave:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Stockholm:

It depends where you are moored. There is a water bus that does a circular hop-on hop-off route and If you're in the city berth then it goes from right next to the ship. When a ship is in the first stop is the Vasa museum which is well worth seeing as is the history museum, especially the gold room. It is all walkable and very pleasant.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/
http://historiska.se/home/

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stockholm

The Old Town, plus the Vasa Museum and the Town Hall etc are all within easy walking distance of the usual shuttle bus stop although we were able to walk it from the ship having had a conveniently located berth.

I suggest that you buy a travel guide book to check out the umpteen options in this city.

Gdansk

There are a number of options.

* The Old Town is adjacent to the river, there are 4 or 5 interesting site-seeing streets to look at.

* The Lech Walesa shipyards plus the Westerplatte ( start of the 1939 war ) experience

* The lovely seaside resort of Sopot, former playground of Europe's ruling classes.

We were there last year, did all of the above and thoroughly enjoyed it.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Considering Gdansk was literally flattened during WW2 they have done a magnificent job in rebuilding it back to its former glory. It's not a big place, entered over a large bridge, through the town walls and onto a main street (pedestrianised) of old buildings, many painted, shops and restaurants. It is a very pleasant place to wander and has many historical features which have been restored. Interesting photos in the gatehouse at the end of the street showing Gdansk after the war.
Along by the riverside there are numerous bars, restaurants and shops (plus a street leading from the river which is crammed with shops selling amber). Here also is an old wharf building, the remnants from an age when the riverside was a hive of activity.

I can thoroughly recommend the Vasa museum in Stockholm. We spent a long time in there marveling at this restored ship and the artifacts brought up with it. It is within easy walking distance but if not, the tram goes right past it. (You can't get on the wrong tram since there's only one line. Just make sure it's going in the right direction!!!) Stockholm itself is a lovely place just to wander around. There's loads to see and do and the sail in/out past all the little islands is marvellous.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I can't help you I'm afraid, but Gdansk is somewhere we would like to visit, as Danzig (the previous name) is the origin of our surname.
Gill

Topic author
Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

Thank you for the suggestions, we have decided to do a ships tour in Gdansk which will also do Sopot and Gdynia. Think we will do the hop on hop off bus in Stockholm. Maureen are you going this Saturday if so we may bump in to you? We have been on Caribbean Princess before a couple of years ago and it is very much like Azura and Ventura. Not long to wait until Saturday think it will be crowded in Southampton so we will be leaving early!!

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Grando wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions, we have decided to do a ships tour in Gdansk which will also do Sopot and Gdynia. Think we will do the hop on hop off bus in Stockholm. Maureen are you going this Saturday if so we may bump in to you? We have been on Caribbean Princess before a couple of years ago and it is very much like Azura and Ventura. Not long to wait until Saturday think it will be crowded in Southampton so we will be leaving early!!
That's the one and yes, I agree, I think Southampton will be heaving. Just trying to work out what to take - a bit of everything, I think.

Maureen

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Grando wrote:
Hi Doreen, home after a super cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed. We were so lucky with the weather. We ended up doing the Gdansk/Sopot/Gydnia trip and really glad that we did. It seemed silly to visit Poland and not visit places other than Gydnia as we are not likely to do the Baltic again for a good few years. We enjoyed the ship - the food and service were amazing although we were disappointed with some of the entertainment. I think P&O remains our favourite although they could learn a few lessons from Princess. Hope you weren't too late getting home due to the delays getting off.

I would be very interested in your opinion of the cruise. Maureen.

Topic author
Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

Hi Doreen, home after a super cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed. We were so lucky with the weather. We ended up doing the Gdansk/Sopot/Gydnia trip and really glad that we did. It seemed silly to visit Poland and not visit places other than Gydnia as we are not likely to do the Baltic again for a good few years. We enjoyed the ship - the food and service were amazing although we were disappointed with some of the entertainment. I think P&O remains our favourite although they could learn a few lessons from Princess. Hope you weren't too late getting home due to the delays getting off.

I would be very interested in your opinion of the cruise. Maureen.

Hi Maureen
Glad you enjoyed the cruise, nothing not to like really was there, but have to agree about the entertainment, but we enjoyed Bernie Flint although not sure who he was! We also did the same trip as you in the morning? We thought Gdansk and Sopot were lovely, unfortunately we were not too impressed with our guide but didn't let it bother us, we just tipped the driver!! Yes the weather was great, wish it was like it here now. The sail into Stockholm was amazing so peaceful, well, it was 4.30am and the sun was shining, I don't think it got dark at all that night, we used the hoho bus and boat to get around and thought it a lovely city. We were not too late getting off and kept our friends informed and they were waiting for us just outside the terminal. We like Princess and their loyalty perks are very good, made use of the free laundry service so didn't have too much washing to dry indoors! All in all an excellent cruise and the Peterhof looked so much nicer in the sun, rather than the rain the last time we were there. By the way did you see the air display put on for us by the Russian air force on the second day in St Petersburg?!! We are going Princess again in March, Sydney to Singapore and if its as good as this one we will be more than happy, and looking forward to Aurora in December. Sorry we didn't get to meet maybe another time! Doreen :wave:

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Hello Doreen.
Yes, we did see the display by the Russian Air Force. The first bit was quite slow and we kept saying they weren't as good as the Red Arrows but then those fighter jets came on and we were stood on the back terrace on deck 15 and we had a fabulous view. I loved that starburst effect - it was like watching fireworks go off. I've never seen that before. Of course, the camera was down in the cabin on deck 8 so we didn't get any pictures but our friend did and he is going to let us have some copies.

That afternoon we did the River and Canal trip and the first day we did Peterhof Palace. Catherine's Palace, which we did a couple of years ago, is probably my favourite but I enjoyed the Peterhof gardens best because of all the fountains.

Our guide in Gdansk was very pleasant and had trained as an architect but there is only so much you can take in about that subject without just switching off. The other ports we did ourselves. It was the first time we had gone in to Bruges from Zeebrugge and we loved it. Previously we had only visited Blankenburg.

You lucky thing to be doing Sydney to Singapore - I am very jealous. We are stuck for now as my husband is due to have a cataract operation so we can't book any more cruises until that is sorted, hopefully soon. Maureen.

Return to “Europe”