Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Help please regarding a Baltic cruise

Post by Lynda and David »

Hello

We are planning to do our first Baltic cruise next year but are not sure which is the best month to choose. We've looked at P&O, Cunard and Celebrity and across them there is a choice between May, June, July and August. Could anyone advise which month they think is the best to travel in?

Many thanks

Lynda

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Help please regarding a Baltic cruise

Post by qbman1 »

We did it at the end of May and were incredibly lucky with the weather for two whole weeks - brilliant sunshine and verging on hot in St Petersburg. I think it was the first warm, sunny day of the year for them and it seemed like the whole population were out sunbathing!!

Quite honestly, I think it is pot luck, whichever month you choose as you can get good, bad or indifferent weather at any time.

Whichever, I have no doubt you will enjoy it

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Lynda and David wrote:
Hello

We are planning to do our first Baltic cruise next year but are not sure which is the best month to choose. We've looked at P&O, Cunard and Celebrity and across them there is a choice between May, June, July and August. Could anyone advise which month they think is the best to travel in?

Many thanks

Lynda
Hello Lynda.

All those months are pretty safe.

I did the Baltic with P&O in May on board Arcadia.

Here is the review I wrote about ST Petersburg...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... etersburg/

I trust it is of interest to you. I can't speak too highly of the Alla Tour Company. A really nice touch was when they presented us with a copy of their own St Petersburg DVD.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Hi Lynda
We go to the Baltics in 4 weeks, I would not really view this as a sunshine cruise and would pack as if you were holidaying in northern Scotland but without the midges :-)
Nihil Obstat

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

You'll love St Pete's. Have you thought about a river cruise whilst you are there? We found it a really good way to see the sights from a different perspective.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Oh yes....and the Church of the Poison Mind (or is it the Church of the Spilled Blood ?!) is really spectacular and well worth a visit

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

We've done the Baltic twice in May and had fantastic weather both times - first time it caught us out, and we had insufficient warm weather clothing. Returned home looking as though we'd been in the Caribbean for a month.

Having said that, no one can give any promises. It's a lovely cruise and some of them go to a little town called Warnemunde, which is an unexpectedly delightful bonus.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we 'did' the Baltic in late August/early September.

rained in Amsterdam on the way, brilliant sunshine in St Pete's (according to the guide a very rare event), snow in Helsinki on Sept 1st (ish) and a heatwave and sunbathing on deck in Copenhagen a couple of days later!!!!!!!!

so expect a bit of everything
Meg
x

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi Lynda

I have booked a Baltic cruise with P and O on the Arcadia for this July.

Reasons for we like P and O
Really enjoy the ship Arcadia
There are 4 of us travelling together and July suited everyone

Not been to the Baltic before but did some research and am looking forward to something different. Have been watching the hairy bikers programme this week on bbc2 they were in St Petersburg and Helsinki and will visit Stockholm. Interesting.

Lindsey

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We did our Baltic cruise on May, and had lovely weather.

It was t shirt weather in Stockholm, in other places it was generally sunny, but sometimes we needed a cardigan or light jacket.
Gill

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Hi Lynda
We have been to the Baltic on four occasions, all either June or July. I recommend July as they call that time in St Petersburg the white nights as it stays light until midnight. We have had temperatures in the 80s during our visits. There is so much to see that you will want to return.
Happy cruising
Colin

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We did the last day in August followed by 16-ish days in September.

Terrible storm in St Petes but everywhere else was bathed in sunshine with temps just rising into the 30s.

ps ... good luck with your weather

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

qbman1 wrote:
We did it at the end of May and were incredibly lucky with the weather for two whole weeks - brilliant sunshine and verging on hot in St Petersburg. I think it was the first warm, sunny day of the year for them and it seemed like the whole population were out sunbathing!!

Quite honestly, I think it is pot luck, whichever month you choose as you can get good, bad or indifferent weather at any time.

Whichever, I have no doubt you will enjoy it
Thank you qbman1 for you suggestions especially the river cruise I'll look into that. As this will be our Summer holiday next year we would like some sun but not too much that it is uncomfortable when touring the cities.

Lynda :wave:

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

Dark Knight wrote:
Hi Lynda
We go to the Baltics in 4 weeks, I would not really view this as a sunshine cruise and would pack as if you were holidaying in northern Scotland but without the midges :-)
Beware of that DK - we went in May 2 years ago and the temperatures were up in the 30's - sea like a millpond - and, yes, we had packed for a cold cruise!!!!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

He'll be fine - he can always strip down to his string vest if it turns really warm !!

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Solent Richard wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:
Hello

Many thanks

Lynda
Hello Lynda.

I trust it is of interest to you. I can't speak too highly of the Alla Tour Company. A really nice touch was when they presented us with a copy of their own St Petersburg DVD.
Thank you Richard I just read your report, really interesting. Once we've booked we will have a look at the Alla Tour Company website, I think we would prefer to be with a small group to get the most out of St Petersburg. We've just returned from a river cruise and on a couple of the tours the groups were only 10 people and we learnt so much more than the tours where we were in larger groups.

Lynda

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Lynda and David wrote:
Solent Richard wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:
Hello

Many thanks

Lynda
Hello Lynda.

Thank you Richard I just read your report, really interesting. Once we've booked we will have a look at the Alla Tour Company website, I think we would prefer to be with a small group to get the most out of St Petersburg. We've just returned from a river cruise and on a couple of the tours the groups were only 10 people and we learnt so much more than the tours where we were in larger groups.

Lynda
Hi Lynda.

One of the great joys of Alla is that they also arrange your Visa for you and email the confirmation to you. Certainly when we used them they didn't require any pre-payment and they will also tailor the tour to your requirements. Simply registering with them on their website gives you access to their helpdesk.

And finally, because they are large operators they have the ability with their small groups to queue jump and save considerable time especially in places like The Hermitage.

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Thank you everyone for your suggestions most appreciated.

Regards

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We have been on two Baltic cruises one on Azura July 2010 (can't believe how quick that past) and the other was Arcadia May 2014 both times the weather was glorious with hot sunshine we only had a half day of showers in Oslo on the first cruise. Enjoyed them both, thinking of going again next year. There is so much to see and do in all the ports you will be spoilt for choice. What ever you choose I'm certain you'll have a good time.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

So far our only Baltic cruise was in 2013 over the end of June/early July. We had wet weather in Zeebrugge, windy and cool in Warnemunde, mild but cloudy in Stockholm and Helsinki then low 30's scorching sunshine in St Petersburg and Tallin, then back to overcast and a bit damp in Copenhagen.
We are going back again this year about a week earlier and will pack for all of the above.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

I would just like to thank everyone who replied to my request for help in choosing when to go on a Baltic cruise. This evening we finally booked ourselves on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth 14-28th July 2017 (our first time on Cunard).

Many thanks

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

we went to the Baltic last july on Aurora the weather was ok but not great we had a couple of days of rain and cold winds but bright skies
graham

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

We went at about that time of year on Queen Victoria and had excellent weather after a bit of drizzle in Copenhagen.

If you are OK walking I would recommend the walking tour in St Petersburg. Cunard work with a company which does a really good tour, using discreet personal headphones so everyone gets to hear everything without any pushing or shoving.

Make sure you are up early enough to experience the sail in to Stockholm - it is truly beautiful. You'll probably be dining at the sail out, so will be able to watch as you eat

Have a great time

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

sunseeker99 wrote:
We went at about that time of year on Queen Victoria and had excellent weather after a bit of drizzle in Copenhagen.

If you are OK walking I would recommend the walking tour in St Petersburg. Cunard work with a company which does a really good tour, using discreet personal headphones so everyone gets to hear everything without any pushing or shoving.

Make sure you are up early enough to experience the sail in to Stockholm - it is truly beautiful. You'll probably be dining at the sail out, so will be able to watch as you eat

Have a great time
Thank you we'll definitely consider the walking tour in St Petersburg, we used those personal headphones a few weeks ago on our Paris to Normandy river cruise and they definitely enhance the tour as you are able to concentrate more on what is being said. Thank you also for the tip about the sail in to Stockholm.

Regards

Lynda

Return to “Europe”