Melsea's 1st Half World Cruise, Arcadia 2016 Part 7

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's 1st Half World Cruise, Arcadia 2016 Part 7

Post by melsea »

8 Sea days to cross the Pacific from Osaka to Honolulu.

Day 16. At Sea 1 of 8.

29 March 2016. Clocks go forward at midday. Brisbane time chosen.

Evening Casual.

Breakfast in buffet.
Lunch in restaurant.
Dinner in main restaurant.
Went twice to Crows Nest.
Visited reception to see if someone had handed in Bill's glasses as they not in the cabin. Yes they were in a box with lots of other glasses, a lot of sun glasses too.
Advisory of USb1/b2 tourist visa

They had a headliners show at 2pm. With a guest star doing the evening slot Worbey & Farrell, they were very entertaining and talented, they are a cross between Liberace meets The Two Ronnie's doing one of their sketches. They both play the Piano at the same time with stories told before and after they have played.

Day 17. At sea 2 of 8

30th March 2016

Bill went to the Christian meeting at 9am
I went to a talk at 10am given by Paul Stickler 1. Body overboard? The murder of an English actress. Very interesting, his talks are about historical crimes with emphasis on the facts and mysteries of many crimes we have heard of and the not so know ones. Looking at the list of his other talks I have certainly not heard of them all. He is an ex Police CID and he has studied various peculiar aspects of crimes of the past which he now passes on in talks such as these.

12 midday we had our Ligurian Luncheon, we were on table 45 with 6 other guest and the officer we had was the Food & Beverage manager, David Lea who comes from Adelaide. A very nice lunch. The luncheon was excellent. Wine flowed better than we have had in the past, maybe having the F&B manager may have helped.
I went to the Crows Nest later. Came back to cabin at 5.30 and had a snooze before getting ready for the evening.

Lance Ellington show, not seen him before but he was very good. Great voice and entertainer.

Day 18. At sea 3 of 8

31st March 2016 clocks went forward at midday so we are now the time of Sydney.

No breakfast.
Bill went to The Christian Meeting at 9am.
I went to a talk about the Murder of Lord Errol. By Paul Stickler.
Had a very small breakfast.
Went to the Crows Nest where I continued to transcribe the BBC programme about the CPS, a very interesting insight into the workings of the CPS.

Evening show was Reel to Reel by the headliners.

Day 19. At sea 4 of 8

1st April. 2016
April Fools Day.

Woke up to what I thought was 7.15am only to find that had not put my ipod forward yesterday. Bill was in the shower and I thought he's early. I had just woken from a very deep sleep and a weird dream, a room with torrential rain flowing from the ceiling.
Bill went to his Christian meeting.
I went to another talk by Paul Stickler, The Green Bicycle Murder of 1919.
Had a small breakfast with Bill who was sitting in the buffet restaurant.
Afterwards I went to another talk but this one was 'An Audience with Captain Trevor Lane, interviewed by the Entertainment manager.
12.10 went to the Aquarious Pool where they had the World Cruise Group Photo.
In the news today Ronnie Corbett died at the age of 85.

Day 20. At sea 5 of 8.
1st of two 2nd of Aprils due to crossing the international dateline from west to east.

2nd April 2016 (1)

Bill at his meeting 9am.
I went to talk Paul Stickler. The Rillington Place Murders.
Reel to Reel show, excellent.

Day 21 At sea. 6 of 8. 2nd day of 2nd of April.
Groundhog Day. Clocks forward at midday too.

2nd April part 2

Oh what a start to the day. Last night we had crossed the international date line which meant we were to have April 2nd all over again. But when we woke up the morning like any other morning we got up at the usual time being none the wiser. Bill went off to his Christian meeting only to come back to the cabin a few mins later. It seems that we were an hour ahead. Well I am seriously confused. It seems if I had left all my devices alone we would have had the correct time. But his doesn't make sense. As bills phone has never corrected itself to the local time. Which blows out the theory. So with a bit of playing around I now have the correct time. Saw Captain Trevor Lane on the top deck and said who I was and that Bill was my husband so he knew who I was talking about. I mentioned how he wasn't there due to the time date change, he said there were a lot of people caught off guard.

Evening entertainment was the second outing of the pianists Worbey & Farrell
On the 1st Saturday back in the UK a showing of Ant & Dec's Saturday night live was being broadcast from Barcelona on P&O's Britannia. We were having it broadcast live 6am our time. But a recording of it would be shown later.

I have a cold, dam.

Day 22. At sea 7 of 8.

3rd April 2016 Clocks went forward so that we are now on Honolulu time.

Bill went to the Christian Meeting and then we met afterwards to go to the church service. The deputy captain took the service.
We both had a little breakfast afterwards. We didn't meet up for lunch as we were a bit too full for that.
I went to the Neptune Pool area and sat on a lounger for 15 mins then moved away and sat under the roof area of the pool, the rest of it was open. I sat there for a while and then intended to go to the last talk of Paul Stickler ( A6 murder) but I bumped into Joan, a fellow passenger with whom we became friends with, Joan & her husband Kevin were at our wedding in 2011 on Aurora. So, we ended up talking way past the time of the talk and missed it. I got back to the cabin at 4.40.
Did not see evening show as it was either 7.30 (2nd sitting)or 8.45 1st (sitting). Can never get the timing right to do this.

Day 23. At sea. 8 of 8

4th April 2016. Clocks forward at midday.

Before the Christian meeting Bill took photos of him with the Christian group, the Captain joined them for that.

I put 6 photos in for the Arcadia photo competition. I have to say the photographers on here seem to be a bit stand offish, I say this as the ones on Aurora last year of the worldwide were so much more engaging and helpful. It was difficult to find out things on here this time round. To be fair though it does appear they are lacking certain equipment to help them and us the passengers so I am guessing they were up against and not as equipped as they were on Aurora who had a large screen Apple Mac for uploading photos from all sources. I and many others were able to upload photos from iPads, iPhones and other types where as on here they did not have an Apple Mac just a very old PC laptop that was struggling.
The rest of my day was deciding how I was going to get from A to B in Honolulu when we finally get ashore after we have been through US immigration. I had decided to go back to Pearl Harbour having visited it the first time last year.

Evening show, Destination Dance, very good. A few changes to it which made it nice and fresh.

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”