Melsea's Adventures on Boats,Trains & Planes Part 2

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's Adventures on Boats,Trains & Planes Part 2

Post by melsea »

At last I have managed to get my next very late report of our trip back in November to this forum.

Melsea's Adventures on Boats,Trains & Planes. Part 2

Day 3. At sea en route to NY. Monday

21st Nov 2016 clocks went back again last night so we are now 2 hours behind UK. Informal

Last night for a while we had quite a shuddering motion underneath our bed and at times quite severe. I said a prayer for this to go away which after a short period it did and I was able to go to asleep but I was not aware of falling asleep. I might add that when we had the rough weather the other day neither of us felt it but I spoke to a lady who said it was really rough but then they were in one of the cabins on Deck 13 whereas we're on deck 4 which means we feel less or so it seems, also we were that tired that we would probably not have felt anything that was thrown at us. Also this beautiful ship is made for the transatlantic voyages.
Bill woke me as my alarm was going off. I turned it off and just closed my eyes for a while. Bill had gone back to sleep and I woke him at around 10 past 8. He went to the Christian meeting again this morning and I went upstairs to the buffet to get an early breakfast as I had the time before I wanted to go to a talk at 11am only this time I was going to arrive early as I wanted to make sure I got a better seat. Alas having gone early I was to find the illuminations was occupied with a speaker already there and it was again quite full. There were however some empty seats further down the front. I sat in one and listen to the remaining talk, it was given by a flight Captain David Henderson entitled 'Come fly with me'. It was an entertaining talk about flying a 747 and flying into Hong Kong both the old & new airport. He was a good speaker and I could hear him very well.
Once he had finished a number of people started to leave I then made my way to seats that had become vacant but as I got there they were being taken, I then noticed in the same row further along a single seat which I took. This in turn was a good thing as I had the perfect seat. I was directly in line with the next speaker and only 4 rows from the front. The speaker was the journalist Tim Sebastian whose talk was "the good, the bad and the truly awful - stories and characters from 40 years reporting around the world' It was a very good talk and much of it happening as I was growing up.
When finished I went to the buffet to find Bill who had moved from where I originally sat and he found me there, now he was on the side of the sunshine and by the window of a table for two.
We had lunch but not too much as we want to go to afternoon tea in the Queens Room.
Had a quick nap and at 3.45 we went to the Queens room to enjoy an afternoon tea. We had all the courses, sandwiches, scones & then cakes. With it we had a pot of Earl Grey Tea. At about 4.25 two women turned up for tea which we were quite amazed. One of the ladies looked like someone we knew but dismissed it as being them because, no it can't possibly be them.
Having eaten and drank enough afternoon tea we went back to our cabin for a nap and to get ourselves ready for our formal evening. Tonight we had a party to go to, the Captains welcome party. He told us that we the passengers were represented by 35 nationalities.
Spoke with two members of staff, Emma & HeIlek, not sure thats how to spell his name, he came from Namibia. While I spoke to the young lady who works in the finance department and who has to balance the books and check all areas every night. She is the department as she is the only person who does this job. Asked if she gets much time off, not much especially on the QM2 which tends to sail more trips on the transatlantic route and so not much time for leisure. Its only when she sails on port oriented voyages does she get time to or on a world cruise. Meanwhile Bill casually asked Hellek what was the vibration on the ship. Hellek then said are we on deck 4 and are we close to the Aft area. Bill was gob-smacked at this and even more so when he said yes we are, Hellek replied he will have us changed to another cabin tonight. He said thank you but can we do that tomorrow.
Meanwhile a lady came rushing over towards us and as soon as she got closer I had my own gob-smacked moment. Those of you that have travelled many times on P&O will I am sure will recognise the name of the person who was on here as a passenger, it was none other than Jan Bacon who was the restaurant manager for years on P&O until she left. It was then Jan I thought I saw at the afternoon tea at 4.25pm. It was so weird to see an ex employee of P&O on a Cunard ship.
Sometime today I went to see a production by the RADA company who played out scenes from various Shakespeare's plays, it was very good. The production consisted of just 6 young actors, one of which looked like a younger version of Hugh Grant.

Formal
Purple sequin dress, Vestry
Dusty pink sandals, Kurt Geiger
Purple necklace, Bijoux
Purple bracelet, Ted Baker
Pearl/purple crystal earrings, Cozumel

Day 4. At sea on way to NY. Tuesday.

22 Nov 2016 no clock change to day.

It was a strange day today as there was not much for me to go and see other than find a pew to either read from my kindle or watch any of the BBC programmes I had downloaded. I found a space upstairs in the 'Commodores Room" which is in the position of the Crows Nest space as it would be on other ships. Found a spot & I sat and watched some of this weekend past; Strictly Come Dancing in Blackpool. It was definitely all glitz and gold with sequins galore. The scores have been high so far with Danny & Oti scoring a perfect 40. I have yet to finish watching it.
Bill followed up the issue of our room which an officer at last nights drinks party said he would move us which was quite amazing as all Bill said was to ask what was the vibration underneath our cabin floor. At that he asked if we were on deck 4 and were we at the AFT end of the ship. He was fully aware of the terrible vibrations and then said he will get us moved. Bill was gobsmacked and the officer said would tonight be okay and he said no its okay tomorrow will be fine. Little did we know it would take from 10am until gone 5.30pm for it to be sorted and arranged. When Bill said which cabin it was to be I immediately looked it up, it was a balcony cabin. To say we were pleased and surprised would be an understatement. We went to reception to get the final piece in place the receptionist Joy took us up to the cabin which was still a balcony but not the number Bill thought it was, for us to say would it be okay for us. Well of course it was going to be okay. For a start it had absolutely no vibrations at all. Joy discussed with us about how to move our things and we decided in the end to do it ourselves as we felt we could do this much quicker. So all systems go and we went back to our original cabin packed very quickly and finally got to our new cabin just after 6pm. I was to go to the show tonight and it was to start at 7pm so I had my shower and got to the theatre at 10 past 7 as I had gone to the wrong venue at first I thought it was to be at the Queens room but it was being held in the Royal Court Theatre.

Informal.
Yellow Diamonte Trousers, H&M
Yellow top, Zara
White bag, Venice
Black & silver heel sandals
Yellow earrings, Barcelona
Multi brown yellow necklace, Baltics
Blue/white strap watch, Lulu Guinness

Day 5. Ever onwards towards NEW YORK. Wednesday

23 November 2016.

Good nights sleep in a non vibrating cabin.
Breakfast for me.
Bill went to the Christian meeting.
I went to the Tim Sebastian talk, excellent
Spa 12.30
Small lunch.
Evening drinks party for Gold, Platinum & Diamond members, we are Gold.
One couple have done 2194 days at sea.
Saw the last show of Virtuosity singers.

Informal.
Diamonate trousers yellow, H&M
Blue top, H&M
Black & silver heel sandals, Kurt Geiger
White bag, Venice
Gold long earrings, Harry Mason
Gold/silver necklace, Flutterbyes
Yellow bangle.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Melsea's Adventures on Boats,Trains & Planes Part 2

Post by Gill W »

What a result about the cabin change!

Also, loving the wardrobe notes
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Melsea's Adventures on Boats,Trains & Planes Part 2

Post by GillD46 »

Agree, you were lucky to get a cabin change - well done.
Gill

Return to “Cunard”