Riga - Latvia.

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Riga - Latvia.

Post by MaureenB »

I am hoping there is someone out there who has been to Riga and can tell me about it? Is it close to the port? Is it a good place to DIY or is it better to take one of the trips? We are going on Aurora's Baltic cruise in May and I can't seem to find any info about Riga. I have checked Peter D's very useful document (thanks Peter, it's always very informative) but there is no mention of Latvia.

Thanks in advance

Maureen

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Riga - Latvia.

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi Maureen

I have been looking on cruise critic and there are some reviews of visiting Riga from a cruise ship. It says it is easy to reach the town on the shuttle bus.
We didn't call at Riga on our Baltic cruise last year so cannot comment personally.
Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It's a very nice destination but split into two parts.

Firstly the Medieval Old Town with, one example, a cat type weather vane atop a Merchant's roof with its bottom deliberately aimed so that it points at a neighboring Merchant's property. Pseudo feuds and with a sense of humour for one's Latvians.

We opted to take an organised trip, at the time I wrote ....

Riga, Latvia
We opted for an excursion here. Did a walking Tour of the Old Town, yummy, plus we also went to see the Art Nouveau style buildings in the newer part of the city but whizzed past them in the coach so not quite what we had anticipated. An unusual and interesting Hansiatic Port which still has its roots in the middle ages.

... deffo recommended from Moi :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Thank you both, that was very helpful. I have also discovered that there is a HO HO bus tour , so that is what we think we will do.

Best wishes

Maureen

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

One of the girls in the office was born in Riga so if you have any specific questions, Maureen, do let me know and I will see what I can find out

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Am calling at Riga on my Baltic cruise for September, was wondering if there was further update on what to do in port ?

Lindsey

Return to “Europe”