Azura cruises in 2017

Topic author
Burrowshse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Azura - A708 - April 2017

Post by Burrowshse »

Hi all

We're booked on a 2 week Med cruise this Easter and are very excited! By 'we' I mean myself and my husband and our 4 children 11-17. We have been on a cruise before but not P&O. We didn't chose our cabins (not knowing this would be slightly detrimental to our dinner times and paying for tender trips!) and one of the cabins is next to a lift. So my questions are:

-Does anyone know if the lifts are noisy and what are our chances of changing cabins?

- I've put in a request for freedom dining, but does anyone know what our chances are of getting this?

- does anyone have any advice on the ports (Valencia, Rome, Barcelona, Cannes, Corsica, Gibraltar, Cartagena) and what the weather may be like

- does anyone have any advice about the ship in general about anything at all? All advice very much appreciated!

I'm sorry if I've posted in a wrong area but this seemed to be the only place I could post to.

Thanks all
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Mar 2017, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Lifts should not be a problem, our accessible cabin is as close to the lifts as you can get and we rarely hear a thing.
Freedom dining is the most popular so you might need to wait until on board then see the restaurant manager and ask to be changed, but you may be on a lengthy wait-list.
Gibraltar, Catagena and Corsica, if that's Ajaccio, or all easy DIY ports so you won't need a shuttle, Cannes will be a tender so should drop you off in the port area. The others will need shuttles or shore excursions to get you to the touristy areas.
Azura is a Grand Princess class ship, very similar to Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess, it has lots of bars, lounges and entertainment venues, as well as excellent kids club facilities for your children.
There is a host of info on the P&O website in their help & Advice area found using the Q on the home page.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Mar 2017, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Lifts are generally no problem

Valencia is quite a long way from the port and needs the bus (chargeable) as is Barca, you cannot walk it from the ship.
Rome is worth a P&O trip is you can do it. The others are walkable.

You should be ok getting Freedom, but is not guaranteed.

Just go with an open mind and the intention to enjoy yourselves :thumbup:
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Mar 2017, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Burrowshse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Burrowshse »

towny44 wrote: 09 Mar 2017, 23:24
Lifts should not be a problem, our accessible cabin is as close to the lifts as you can get and we rarely hear a thing.
Freedom dining is the most popular so you might need to wait until on board then see the restaurant manager and ask to be changed, but you may be on a lengthy wait-list.
Gibraltar, Catagena and Corsica, if that's Ajaccio, or all easy DIY ports so you won't need a shuttle, Cannes will be a tender so should drop you off in the port area. The others will need shuttles or shore excursions to get you to the touristy areas.
Azura is a Grand Princess class ship, very similar to Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess, it has lots of bars, lounges and entertainment venues, as well as excellent kids club facilities for your children.
There is a host of info on the P&O website in their help & Advice area found using the Q on the home page.
Thanks so much. We've booked a tour for Barcelona and Rome and hope to make our own way in the other Ports. Do you know whether the buffet is open for dinner too? I did ring P&O but my lady was slightly officious and told me that the buffet restaurant would be closed from 7pm. She also told me I couldn't buy and icecream/drink pack for the kids until I pointed out it was in their brochure!
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Mar 2017, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Burrowshse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Burrowshse »

barney wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 11:35

Valencia is quite a long way from the port and needs the bus (chargeable) as is Barca, you cannot walk it from the ship.

Thanks so much, yes we will indeed go with an open mind, we're really looking forward to the holiday. I think I was unfortunate with the lady I spoke to at P&O who was probably busy and flustered.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Mar 2017, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Burrowshse wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 20:35
Thanks so much. We've booked a tour for Barcelona and Rome and hope to make our own way in the other Ports. Do you know whether the buffet is open for dinner too? I did ring P&O but my lady was slightly officious and told me that the buffet restaurant would be closed from 7pm. She also told me I couldn't buy and icecream/drink pack for the kids until I pointed out it was in their brochure!
The buffet on most P&O ships is open most of the day, and well into the night, serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, kids special tea and dinner, sometimes only one side will be open while they prepare the other. So I have absolutely no idea which script your contact was reading from, or maybe she was a Royal Caribbean secret agent! :sarcasm:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Burrowshse wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 20:39

Thanks so much, yes we will indeed go with an open mind, we're really looking forward to the holiday. I think I was unfortunate with the lady I spoke to at P&O who was probably busy and flustered.
Busy and flustered is no good - it's their job to advise you properly. Sadly, any company is only as good as the voice on the end of the 'phone in the call centre and this kind of attitude from that lady does the image no good at all

By the way, welcome Borrowshse, There are loads of people around here with loads of experience who will be able to answer any questions from cruising to computing to the best pub in Huddersfield !!

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I have experienced the buffet being open 24hrs! That was on board Azura and Ventura.
Much better than Princess they closed by 11pm:( my husband was not happy with that!
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Mar 2017, 14:46, edited 4 times in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I have moved it into an Azura Forum.

Regards and welcome .... MobyMod

:thumbup:
Last edited by Manoverboard on 11 Mar 2017, 14:49, edited 3 times in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Burrowshse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Azura - A708 - April 2017

Post by Burrowshse »

towny44 wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 21:14
Burrowshse wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 20:35
The buffet on most P&O ships is open most of the day, and well into the night, serving breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, kids special tea and dinner, sometimes only one side will be open while they prepare the other. So I have absolutely no idea which script your contact was reading from, or maybe she was a Royal Caribbean secret agent! :sarcasm:
Ha ha, I think you may be right! When I first asked about kids packages, she said "that's just Princess"...I thought she was referring to a ship name! I said I must have misunderstood the brochure and she said 'yes yes it's just Princess cruises"! When I said it was in the P&O brochure, she said "oh I've been off a week"!!! I said I'd had the brochure at least a month and it was a 2016 brochure too! Hence I didn't really believe her that the buffet closed! She told me that in the evenings there was no choice but the restaurants, which I was happy with but I was slightly worried incase we got 8.30 sitting and my 10 and 11 year old were hungry! Actually I was more concerned I'd be hungry!!

Topic author
Burrowshse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Burrowshse »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 14:40
I have moved it into an Azura Forum.

Regards and welcome .... MobyMod

:thumbup:
Thanks!

Topic author
Burrowshse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Burrowshse »

qbman1 wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 09:11
Burrowshse wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 20:39

Busy and flustered is no good - it's their job to advise you properly. Sadly, any company is only as good as the voice on the end of the 'phone in the call centre and this kind of attitude from that lady does the image no good at all

By the way, welcome Borrowshse, There are loads of people around here with loads of experience who will be able to answer any questions from cruising to computing to the best pub in Huddersfield !!
Thanks for the welcome! When I'm next looking for a good pub I will be sure to post! Thanks for all the help....I'm sure I'll have more questions before we go!

Return to “Azura Cruises 2017”