Anything to do with World Cruises

Topic author
Greenie Mike
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Tips for a World Cruise

Post by Greenie Mike »

World Cruise

Round the World Cruise? Wonderful. You will enjoy every moment of it and in answer to the question you will be asked time and time again ‘Three months, won’t you get bored?’ NO, NO, NO! Believe us, it all goes too fast and there is too much to do. We came home relaxed, but exhausted if that makes sense.

Tips and advice.

Cases. You have plenty of room and as you are Southampton to Southampton, you are not restricted. Your only restriction is getting to Southampton. We are on the Isle of Wight and loading/unloading the Ferry was a bit of a job going to the Ship, coming home was easier as we had the taxi pick us up from the Ship and take us all the way home, so we loaded the taxi once and unloaded it at home. It was the Didgeridoo which made us decide that!!!

FORMAL NIGHTS are to you at the moment the biggest nightmare I expect. Don’t let it be. The cruise is divided into 5 sections so there is no need to have something for each day, just treat each section as a cruise and remember, people are joining and leaving so for the ladies it doesn’t matter if it has been worn before, none of the ‘But I have already been seen in that!.’ With regards to the ladies wardrobe, think ‘Mix and Match’. I actually enjoyed myself when we went shopping for Joan’s wardrobe when we adopted the M&M theme, yes there were some ‘Posh Frocks’, but some didn’t get worn!!!
And for the men, Dinner Suit, Blazer and Flannels, mainly Black Bow ties, but one white and I had a Red one as well! Dress Shirts, I took 3 or 4 white and I know one still has the labels on! And a couple of Black Dress Shirts, My choice but not strictly essential.

BUT, in all, too much taken because of the Laundry facilities. We used one of the launderettes and got to know a whole lot more people. It’s a great place for chatting!!!

And so to the laundry. We find many useful things in the KleeneZe catalogue and as we have one here at present ready to be picked up on Monday, I have scanned through it and found the following which we used and took with us.

Cyclone Pegs 028878 useful for pegging your smalls up on the retractable line in the bathroom. Either Folding Laundry Bag 072346 or the 3 Section Laundry Hamper 080047 for taking your laundry to the laundrette. The machines are massive and you can get a weeks washing into a couple of machines, one whites, one coloured or as required. We took with us Fairy Non Bio Liquitabs x 2 boxes of 10 and found that was more than sufficient. Don’t touch the tabs with wet hands or they dissolve. Chuck one in the washer, with your clothes on top and away you go. Going to the laundry. Sea days are busy. Formal Night day is busy. Driers take twice as long as the washers, so there is always a queue for a drier. People get in there as soon as possible in the morning. 10.00am and it’s heaving. 2/3 hours later or later in the afternoon and you have it to yourself .

Wardrobe and storage. Hanging garments. Real spacesavers and allowing many articles to be hung in ‘the same space’ Trouser & Skirt Hanger 013145 and Space Saving Hangers 038040 and because you keep going into the wardrobe and pushing clothes to one side to reach something ‘behind those in front’ (there is a space behind the fixed part of the wardrobe to the left/right of the door) then protect your clothes with Clothes Cover Pack 025933 and there are more Space Saver Hooks which thread over the wire bit of the hanger which we found very good, but are not in the current catalogue.

‘The Shop in the Cabin.’ This is a case under one of the beds which took the consumables which we knew we would run out of and need during the three months. Deodorants, Toilet Soap, Tooth Paste, Talcum Powder, Insect Sprays and Wipes, Sun Creams of different powers, (Don’t forget you are going where the sun SHINES in January February and March), Tissues, Birthday and Anniversary Cards whilst you are away. Forgot that didn’t you?? And Insurance renewals?

Sod’s Law stated that in the middle of the Pacific my false teeth would break, so I took a Denture Repair kit I obtained from the Chemist, I also got a spare pair of glasses. Don’t forget your medicines for three months. You might have to get your Doctor to give you a larger than normal prescription to cover the period. I did, and forgot to pack some of them. They were a sleeping tablet I had been on for years. When you don’t have them, you can’t take them. I weaned myself off them as I had no option, and have been off them since, but some tablets ARE important, don’t forget them. In fact start making a list now or print this epistle off as a reminder. Spare batteries for the electronic gadgets and don’t forget the battery chargers for this that and the other, even the electric toothbrush and mobile phones! And whilst talking battery chargers, you might need, so you might as well take it, an adapter consisting of a short length of cable with 4 sockets on it. This is because some of the 13 amp sockets as so low to the desk that you cannot get the plug in if it is a bulky one.

Back to your cases. We had seven, a suit hanger, a lap top and a wheely trolly (this held the boxes of wine and apart from being very good in that aspect, was a pain in the neck). We stuck labels all over everything. I printed 2.5 x.1.5 inch labels with ‘CABIN B213’ on the top line and “B DECK” on the bottom line in the colour of the deck, in this case RED so that they could be seen once the cases were on board. I stuck them on the top, sides, lid, base, back, I even stuck one on Joan in case she got lost! AND, I had large coloured tapes stuck to the cases AND brightly Coloured silky ribbons about 12 inches long tied to the handles. Everything was at the cabin when we got there except one case. The steward found that in about 3 minutes. TAKE A SPARE SET OF TAPES, LABELS AND RIBBONS WITH YOU for the case you will have to buy in Sydney or later. (Deck Colours. When we went away again in November/December we were on A Deck which was a Brown label, so I printed in Brown. On this occasion ALL the cases were in the cabin when we got there). The steward will take your empty cases away for you.

Take with you your lap top and make sure it is Wifi fitted and a CD writer fitted to download your digi camera pictures. Make sure that all your family are aware of where you are by printing out the timetable from the brochure and making sure that they have your email address. My children had the Aurora web cam on their desktops as the wallpaper so followed us. When we came out of The Azores, Aurora came out stern first, had to turn to port, then starboard, then went ahead. We received a text from one of our daughters as we got under way, “That was a nifty bit of reversing”, she had watched, as did the others, as we actually did it!!

Life on board. This is your home for three months. Do things together, but lead a life of your own. Joan went to Art Classes, I went to a Computer Course. On a long cruise like this, ‘Special Interest Lectures’ are arranged so read the Aurora Today and see what is on, when and where. You might have a surprise and have me doing a series, I have just presented a set of Special Interest Lectures to P&O for their consideration so I might be there!!!!!!!

Excursions. BEWARE. When we booked our World it was as a newbie with P & O, so we were a nothing on the Portunus ladder. We saw lots of excursions we wanted to do and didn’t want to miss out, so booked nearly all of them. Only to discover that, even though some of the excursions actually came in the Sapphire section of the cruise once we got there, we still didn’t get the discount. So unless it is a ‘must do’ excursion, wait till you get to the step on the Portunus Ladder. And don’t panic, if an excursion is that popular, they will put extra places on and you can go on the wait list. A few more silly little things. Take a travelling alarm clock with you, there are mornings you want to get up early, like ……….. no, I won’t tell you or you will be ‘looking forward to it’!!
Take a small diary with you and make notes on each day. A small pocket one with a week to a page will do AND a larger one, a day to a page and then at your leisure you can expand on your notes in the small diary into the page for a day diary. A year later and Joan is still referring to and making that one up! By the way, don’t feel awkward and writing a journal as you go along, lots of people do, sitting out in the sun.

The ‘ultimate’ is a complete record of what you do if this is a ‘Special’ as it was for us and for this, it is 5 either lever arch files or the 4 ring binders with a 2 inch wide spine and hundreds of transparent pockets. 5, one for each leg. Then on a day by day basis, you can file all the Aurora Today’s, Port Pamphlets which are delivered to your cabin and many many other things which when you look back, you can say …………WOW!

A question was asked about being away for three months and what about the house?

Don't be worried about being away for three months. In this case their daughter and husband are behind them so that is a great weight off their mind. Their concern was their dog settling down with their daughter’s dogs. They will settle down, honest, I am a dog lover and I know that they will be OK.

The House. We have WONDERFUL neighbours who kept an eye on the place. I left them with a complete set of keys and they cleared the post every day and stacked it on the kitchen table in date order and kept bedroom windows open on suitable days. The place looked lived in! Another thing we did, was study which lights we had on on a regular basis and fitted a time to a socket in that room and timed a Table or Standard Lamp to come on and off as required. Some curtains are always open in any case, others were left open a little way.

Neighbours across the road and in the road behind us, our land goes through to the road at the back, also knew we were away and kept an eye open as well. We came home to a perfect house complete with a bottle of milk in the fridge and a big bouquet of flowers in a bowl of water in the sink.

Cover for Insurance? We arranged for members of the family to come and stay. ""The property must not be left unoccupied for over a month"" It wasn't, the children came to stay and had a party ......... or two. We do live on the Isle of Wight so those in Berkshire and Gloucestershire took advantage!!

The car. To leave it locked and alarmed in the garage for three months "might" have run the battery down and with no battery, I wouldn't get in. So one of my daughters took it, parked it with their FOUR cars and used it from time to time.

Fridge and Freezer. Fridge run down of perishable stuff but left running. Freezer stocked for the children's benefit with the advice/offer/warning, "Help yourself but there is no fresh milk or bread" (There was frozen bread in the freezer) Cupboards stocked with dry and tinned goods.

By the way we did the same thing in November and December when we were away again on Aurora. (Did 4 months on her last year!!!!)

Central Heating. LEAVE ON AND ON A LOW SETTING. If anyone is coming to stay, show/tell them how to turn it up and gently remind them to turn it down before they leave. On your return and after the first Gas or Electric Bill, be ready for questioning by the suppliers as the readings are low. Yes it has just happened to us.

A question about the Dining Room and table arrangements.

We kept the same table of 8. 2 were with us all the way but the others changed from time to time. The advantage of a table of 8 is that if there are a couple who are a real pain, and we had a couple for a short while, then the rest can ignore them!!

A question about age range. A complete age range across the spectrum from babes in arms to those in their 90’s. We would estimate that about 50% were UNDER retirement age and either emigrating, quite a few young couples there with their children, to those taking a breather before starting a family or getting further involved with their work careers. I have to admit I was surprised not to see a sea of wrinkly heads. But those who were over retirement age were very young at heart and one couple who looked and acted in their early 50’s, I happen to know they both had bus passes. Don’t expect to see rows and rows of nodding heads on deck chairs with rugs round them and a book fallen to the deck, cos you won’t see them. By the way, we are 68 and 70 if that is of any help to you.

Question about settling the On Board Credit Account

With regards to the settling of the account, yes at the end of each sector. Usual thing, intrim statement a few days before the end of the sector for you to check out.

Now a bit of a nasty I am afraid. Besides your normal medicines and Sea Sick tablets… just in case…. Take with you cough and cold remedies. Coughs and Colds? I hear you ask. The first leg was Southampton to San Francisco. At SF, quite a few left and more had flown out from the UK to join us. Unfortunately, the UK was going through a severe Cough and Cold bout and these people very kindly brought it on board. Joan went down with a very severe cough and a trip to the Medical Centre cost £52.00 for Cough stuff and 20 x 500mg Paracetamol Tablets. We had a similar problem at Mumbia with people joining with the Norvirus bug. That was bad and knocked quite a few people down, but P & O are superb with their treatments, sanitization and isolation.

Sea Sick? We saw no rough seas after leaving the Azores. There was a nasty swell as we left the Channel, after that smooth seas all the way. However on R619 and R620 on the way down to the West Coast of Africa and by the West Coast of Spain, Portugal and the Bay of Biscay we saw seas 10 – 13 metres high. Captain Walter’s estimate to a question at a CC Meeting.

Final tip? Don’t look at the timetable and ‘look forward to getting to …….’, live every day as it comes.

Greenie Mike

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Tips for a World Cruise

Post by Manoverboard »

Hello and welcome Mike, somebody was asking about this a while ago ... thanks ;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Greenie Mike
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Greenie Mike »

;)

only too pleased to oblige

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Greenie Mike

Pleased to see you are on here.

I actually have a copy of this and took the liberty of putting into a thread somewhere on here as someone asking about it, hope you don't mind. Don't think you can have too much information about World Cruise.
Unfortunately we had to cancel ours this years. How are you?

Topic author
Greenie Mike
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Greenie Mike »

No problem with posting it at all :)

We did the Baltic on Aurora on the big 'do' when all 7 ships sailed out of Southampton, but nothing booked as my wife has got fed up with cruising, which snookers it for me too. :(

Pippa Kernow
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Pippa Kernow »

Thank you Mike for posting this most useful information. I enjoyed reading it. Hubby & I hope that one day we might get to go on a worldie. It would be a dream come true for sure. Best Wishes. :)

Topic author
Greenie Mike
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Greenie Mike »

Pippa Kernow wrote:
Thank you Mike for posting this most useful information. I enjoyed reading it. Hubby & I hope that one day we might get to go on a worldie. It would be a dream come true for sure. Best Wishes. :)

Do it as soon as you can if not sooner, you don't know what's round the corner health wise.

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

No, no - couldn't even consider it. Longest we have done is 30 days and the last 4 were a drag and I wanted to get home. 21 days is about our ideal. Apart from anything else - leave our doggies for 85 days or more? No way. Also, I would miss my friends and family.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

No, we're not ready for a World Cruise - yet - either. I think a half would be fine, but more than that would be biding time.
Gill

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

It is our dream to do a worldie, providing we can find an itinerary that suits us at a cost that is not too pricey.

However, my inlaws (who are never wrong.... :roll: ), who have done Southampton-Hong Kong and Southampton-New Zealand, flying back from each, insist that a full worldie is too much and we ought to do it in sections. They cite a couple on their Hong Kong cruise, who were booked on a worldie and begged the inlaws to swap tickets as they just wanted to go home, they'd had enough. The inlaws broach no argument about this :shock:

We would prefer to find out for ourselves, and they'll be long gone by the time we are able to go anyway.

So, can anyone who has done a full worldie advise us, please, on whether it is "too long" and you just want to get back to a plate of beans on toast in front of your fire or is it just so fabulous that you don't want to get off back in Southampton?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ChesterfieldJohn »

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for this, we are doing the cruise on Aurora next Jan and this will be very helpful.

Cheers John
Cruising is for everyone

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

I expect, as ever, it's down to the individual. I once thought I would love to do a world cruise, but I'm ready to go home after 12 nights whatever holiday I'm on.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Alan - we have never done a Worldie so I cannot speak from experience but I think that you would have to go on it with a different attitude than you would when going on a two/three week "normal" cruise.

The lifestyle of just lazing around and eating all day :roll: for a couple of weeks is acceptable but for three months I doubt that many (if any) could cope. I think you would need to make a concious effort from the outset to do some regular exercise and ease up on the level of food intake with plenty of variety as to where, when and what to eat - possibly to the extent of only using the MDR two or three times a week.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks, David.

We had already decided to eat more or less as we do at home - certainly for breakfast! Also, we'd opt for Freedom dining where available. Although we've always gone for an inside cabin (for reasons of economy), we would probably go for a balcony cabin for a worldie.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Thanks, David.

We had already decided to eat more or less as we do at home - certainly for breakfast! Also, we'd opt for Freedom dining where available. Although we've always gone for an inside cabin (for reasons of economy), we would probably go for a balcony cabin for a worldie.
You could always follow the example of one of the passengers of the F.O. 'worldie' cruise shown on TV. He started off in 38 waist trousers, at the time of the interview was wearing 40", and he had some 42" waist ones ready in his wardrobe!!

or perhaps not........................ :D :D

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
It is our dream to do a worldie, providing we can find an itinerary that suits us at a cost that is not too pricey.

However, my inlaws (who are never wrong.... :roll: ), who have done Southampton-Hong Kong and Southampton-New Zealand, flying back from each, insist that a full worldie is too much and we ought to do it in sections. They cite a couple on their Hong Kong cruise, who were booked on a worldie and begged the inlaws to swap tickets as they just wanted to go home, they'd had enough. The inlaws broach no argument about this :shock:

We would prefer to find out for ourselves, and they'll be long gone by the time we are able to go anyway.

So, can anyone who has done a full worldie advise us, please, on whether it is "too long" and you just want to get back to a plate of beans on toast in front of your fire or is it just so fabulous that you don't want to get off back in Southampton?
Alun, I was worried about doing the World cruise this year for a number of reasons. Now I’ve done it and it really is a wonderful, fabulous experience, I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again if we are able. Although, I will admit, I was ready to come home probably about 2 weeks before the end of the cruise. My husband, however could have gone around again. :roll: Yes, we all put on a little weight because at home we don’t eat a 3 course meal every night but nothing major and soon lost it again. None of us, my husband, son or myself ate more than 2 meals a day for most of the cruise. We have never experienced afternoon tea, and although I love chocolate I’ve never been to Chocoholics. I did try this time just to see what it was like, but when I saw the queue, I didn’t bother.
If my son’s remaining sight lasts a little longer, we are considering another Worldie in 2015. I also read Mike’s advice on the old P&O forum and found it very helpful so I’d like to thank him too. :thumbup:

AngieT
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by AngieT »

I would love to do a worldie but the other half isn't up for it. He'd had enough by the time we got home from our 35 nighter this year - the mid-Atlantic storm that lasted a week probably didn't help! I though could stay on the ship forever!!

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

[quote="emjay45]
Alun, I was worried about doing the World cruise this year for a number of reasons. Now I’ve done it and it really is a wonderful, fabulous experience, I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again if we are able. Although, I will admit, I was ready to come home probably about 2 weeks before the end of the cruise. My husband, however could have gone around again. :roll: Yes, we all put on a little weight because at home we don’t eat a 3 course meal every night but nothing major and soon lost it again. None of us, my husband, son or myself ate more than 2 meals a day for most of the cruise. We have never experienced afternoon tea, and although I love chocolate I’ve never been to Chocoholics. I did try this time just to see what it was like, but when I saw the queue, I didn’t bother.
If my son’s remaining sight lasts a little longer, we are considering another Worldie in 2015. I also read Mike’s advice on the old P&O forum and found it very helpful so I’d like to thank him too. :thumbup:[/quote]

Thanks for that, Emjay, very useful.

Firstly, I am very sorry to learn about your son's eyesight problems.

When we used to go camping for a week or so (longest was about 12 days) we were ready to come home a day or two early, so, pro rata, your two weeks sounds about right!!

The best chocoholics we went to was on Sundream. I don't remember one on the QM2. The first one we went to on Oceana was a right bun-fight (and people complain about the buffet!!). The choice of things was very good though. The second, third and fourth ones saw the staff serving you and you were rushed through - after filling your plate with stuff you sort of wanted, you'd see something you would have preferred but as the plate was as full as we wanted it, we felt constrained to leave it. I didn't bother going on the last one. So, Chocoholics is something I'd not bother with again, much as I love the stuff.

I cannot understand my inlaws' hostility towards a worldie!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

AngieT wrote:
I would love to do a worldie but the other half isn't up for it. He'd had enough by the time we got home from our 35 nighter this year - the mid-Atlantic storm that lasted a week probably didn't help! I though could stay on the ship forever!!
Bad weather does not help, it has to be said. On our first two-week cruise, we had atrocious weather in the Channel, giving us only half a day in Vigo, and then a Force 11 in the Med, forcing us to omit Ibiza. One couple were so annoyed that they got off at Barcelona! As if P&O were responsible for the weather!! On our first transatlantic, we sailed into bad weather on the first night and day. During our first day explorations, we arrived at the Kings Court on QM2 around midnight and that greasy burger with all the trimmings was just begging me to rescue it from the server. I felt pretty rough for a while and was thinking "I don't like this and I've got another 5 nights of this, I can't get off". On day two though, the sea was like a mill pond - from that point on, we were hooked!!!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

I was fortunate enough to go on a world cruise in 2009 on the beautiful Oriana. It was our first cruise so we had no idea what to expect really but loved the idea of seeing so many places and spending so long at sea. Paul, myself and the children loved every day of it and we all have amazing memories that will last a lifetime. I don't think we put on more than a few pounds, just because there is so much lovely food around, it doesn't mean you have to eat it all! Given the opportunity, I would do it again without hesitation.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Welcome back, Helen, hope you're feeling much better now
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I'm sorry Alan I spelt your name wrongly :(
HK you were brave a Worldie for your first cruise. I wouldn't have dared :o

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

emjay45 wrote:
I'm sorry Alan I spelt your name wrongly :(
HK you were brave a Worldie for your first cruise. I wouldn't have dared :o

Please provide your address so I can send the boys round..... ;)
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Return to “World Cruises”