Pireaus, Mykonos, Messina

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
London Cruiser
Cadet
Cadet

Pireaus, Mykonos, Messina

Post by London Cruiser »

Need a bit of help with the above ports. Not been to Pireaus since I was a wee lad and my wife has never been. We cant decide which P & O trip to do there or just get get on the HOHO. We however would like to take in the Acropolis but with a guide, not sure how long we are in port but how much of Athens can you justify doing in a day?,
Mykonos, is there a beach nearby or is one easy to access by local transport? the organised trips on offer don't appeal .
Messina, been there before and really liked the quirky clock but couldn't find anything else there of interest can anyone recommend a trip or use of local transport to somewhere nice. We have been to Etna a few times so something else would nice. I`m sure the well seasoned travellers on here can point us in the right direction. We are on Ventura in a couple of weeks. TIA :thumbup:

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Pireaus, Mykonos, Messina

Post by Ranchi »

Taormina is well worth a visit from Messina. We did it many years ago by train but it's quite a hike from the station up the hill to the town of Taormina. Also ship's port time is much reduced these days so I would not be happy to use public transport now. A taxi or a ship's tour is probably best.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

When we were in Mykonos we just enojoyed a wander around. It's not to be missed really.

You can walk along the waters edge past the many restaurants, and, on reaching the harbour, continue the walk to the windmills and back via the narrow streets. We couldn't make it to the windmills but at least we saw them.

I did some research on beaches before we went and have looked up my diary, ( you can't beat a good diary any day for more information than you actually undertook on the day),: Aghios Stephanos is 1.6km from the port, Aghios Ioannis is the beach where Shirley Valentine was filmed and the beach at Lia is the quietist, but out of town and maybe use a water taxi, (caique), to get there?

There is a small beach just in front of some of the restaurants but the water is so near on many fronts I'm sure that you can find a place to have a swim.

Personally I would have a good wander around this pretty place accompanied by lunch ashore; we had a delightful time here, hope that you do too.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Wolfie. We are at Mykonos for the first time next month. May I ask, is it walkable from the tender port or do we need a taxi? We are really looking forward to seeing what we believe to be a particularly pretty island.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

When we were last in Messina we found a small site of archeological interest if you're into the Romans - and it's hidden in the middle of some buildings, right in the middle of town, very close to where we docked.

We also found that many of the bakeries in the town seemed to do marzipan treats as a speciality. However, it appeared pretty much normal for motorbikes/scooters to be driven on the pavement, and we nearly got knocked over by one - so be careful. We also found a nice formal gardens with a big statue/fountain about a mile from the dock.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We loved Taormina when we were in Messina. We did go on a ship's tour but you could do it independently. We visited the old Greek/Roman theatre and I'll always remember standing on the top tier of the audience and looking ahead I could see, through the arch of the theatre the top of Etna, still covered in snow and then to my left the sparkling water of the Mediterranean. Taormina is an old hill top village with fantastic views, lovely, small shops, great delicatessen where we bought some limoncello. In the main square which overlooks the Med there was a fashion shoot going on with very young, very beautiful models - John was quite interested, can't imagine why!
The only thing about doing the trip independently is that traffic in and around Messina is a nightmare. Motorists don't seem to have car parks, they just decide where they are going to park and park. We were in Taormina in a morning and it was only a half day visit and we were supposed to leave at 1pm. When our coach got to the outskirts of Messina when returning to the ship there was a mammoth traffic jam. We eventually got back to the ship just after 1.30pm. We could see the Captain on the bridge, pacing up and down. As we were on a ship's tour they waited but if we'd done the trip independently I think the ship would have sailed. So be careful. I'd like to go back to Taormina some day.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

GillD46 wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 04:37
Wolfie. We are at Mykonos for the first time next month. May I ask, is it walkable from the tender port or do we need a taxi? We are really looking forward to seeing what we believe to be a particularly pretty island.
The ' tender spot ' utilised by Celebrity last year was right at the front door in Mykonos Town.

With your back to the sea head forward and then go off to the right via Little Venice and on to Wolfie's windmills.

One word of warning ... we ate out in one of the Ship's recommended restaurants and I spent the rest of the cruise in quarantine due to an 18 day duration gastro type virus.

ps ... Taormina via a ship's tour is the way to go, a truly memorable place albeit very expensive.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Right MOB thank you. Do you want to PM me the name if you can remember it, so I can avoid it?
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

We are on Aurora in October and have just booked a ships excursion to visit Taomorina. We are going on the one that's Taomorina on your own so you can look around independently but utilise the ships transport, and as Carol says the ship will wait for the excursion.

Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

GillD46 wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 10:51
Right MOB thank you. Do you want to PM me the name if you can remember it, so I can avoid it?
The restaurant we ate at was probably the cause as the alternative would have to be one of the fine dining venues aboard the ship. It was highly likely that any of the restaurants on this Island could have delivered the same result, as per ' cubies ' posting at the time to advise that " There was a Shigella bug doing the rounds in Mykonos ... ".

So ...

A restaurant link ...

Check out the latest reports if you will but more importantly perhaps is to also check to see if their are any bugs doing the rounds in the Greek Islands when it's your turn to visit them.

Hope all goes well for you and yours on your cruise :wave:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks. Yes, we'll have a looksee for any info a day or so before.
Gill

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Hi Gill, yes, as Moby said it's right on the doorstep, as it were, after you disembark the tender. No need for a taxi unless you want to visit further afield, there's plenty to enjoy in Mykonos Town itself.

Just so those with mobility issues don't think it's all a doddle; the narrow streets are cobbled and slippery, with an incline in parts, and one of us could not do the walking now that we did when we were there almost 2 years ago. However, it is still worth getting ashore, if you can mange a tender. Just sit at a cafe and watch the world go by in a very beautiful place................with all the beautiful people that frequent here. :roll:

For the ladies, the shops are a must do, not the touristy ones, the other ones ;) You know which I mean!
Last edited by wolfie on 28 Jul 2017, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks Wolfie. I am really looking forward to it. Yes we intend to wander and soak it up and if there are some nice shops - well it would be rude not to look!

Cobbled streets are all very charming and nice to look at, but not at all good for those that are not sure footed.
Gill

Topic author
London Cruiser
Cadet
Cadet

Post by London Cruiser »

Thankyou so much for your help. Clear and precise guidance as always. Can just ask what is the best trip for Athens ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

London Cruiser wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 07:50
Can just ask what is the best trip for Athens ?
If you have not been before then it has to be something that includes the Acropolis. Whilst it will be busy, and the last couple of times that I have been (some years ago now) it has resembled a "building site" it is still a must do. Try to get an excursion that includes something else as some just go there and spend time around the site and the museum.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We enjoyed the Acropolis very much in spite of having reservations about yet another pile of columns 'n' stones. It's a very good choice but can prove difficult in places for folks who have balance ( not Bank ) issues. Our trip with P&O took in the majority of the major sites / sights albeit too briefly in some cases but it also included free time in the Old Town ( Plaka-ish ) which was, for us, extremely disappointing and a complete waste of time ... full of modern buildings selling cheap made in China tourist tat.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We did the Corinth Canal Trip, very good with a lovely stop off for Lunch at a Hotel.

Good Duty Free when you get back to the Port....Ltr Russian Standard Vodka...13 euro.
Mel

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

The Corinth canal was closed for dredging when we were there on Oceana at he beginning of July. P&O graciously refunded the money to disappointed customers, but should have checked with local sources.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Mykonos and Piraeus described in my review here
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5626

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

just about to type up my cruise diary - got back a couple of days ago.

Mykonos is a shuttle bus ride from the ship (we docked) and is wonderful - lovely place to wander around - even met a pelican!

Once I've posted it, I'll add a link here
Meg
x

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Meg
x

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I absolutely fell in love with Mykonos, so much so we intend going back next year for a holiday and with a view to buying a Timeshare.

We docked and the Sea bus was but a 5 minute journey to Mykonos town.
Gill

Return to “Europe”