Reports about cruises on Ventura

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smurfie Live from N729

Post by david63 »

Preamble

This cruise was not planned – it came about mainly due to having to “abort” our cruise earlier in the year on Adonia.

We chose this cruise mainly due to the timing than the itinerary – the Canaries, been there done that, but we needed the break and as this cruise fell in nicely with my “big” birthday (and, when we booked, was at a good price) we decided to go for it.

Now I have to admit that there was/is the initial apprehension of cruising on Ventura due to its “reputation”, but we are going with an open mind and will see what it is like. We already have a good idea of the layout of the ship as we have cruised a couple of times on her sister ship, Azura.

Saturday 28th October

We had a reasonably good drive down to our now preferred hotel, The Regency Park at Thatcham, with only minor delays on the M6. The reason why we like this hotel is that it breaks the four and a half drive to Southampton leaving only about an hour the next day and it is a reasonably priced hotel which does not suffer the vagaries of Southampton hotels.

Anyway we arrived in our room, everything OK and had a meal. This is where things started to go slightly awry as there was a function on tonight in the Function Suite the restaurant was somewhat chaotic – why cannot hotels cope with functions and keep the rest of the hotel working as normal – after all this is their main core business.

Right then off to get an extra hour’s sleep before we set off in the morning down to Southampton.

To be continued …

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Smurfie Live from N729

Post by towny44 »

looking forward to the remainder of your review David, please treat Ventura kindly we will be on her in February.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

An unplanned cruise must be one of the best kind! We came of Ventura on the 15th, we enjoyed it! Shall look forward to the rest of your review.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 23:00
looking forward to the remainder of your review David, please treat Ventura kindly we will be on her in February.
Is that just before or just after her refit?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Similar cruise to the one we have just done David. As you say, been there done that, twice now, doubt if we will do it again. The only port we didn't do was Lisbon, which we really liked the first time round.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 07:32
towny44 wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 23:00
Is that just before or just after her refit?
It's the last one before the dry dock, so it could be looking very tired by then, and they might even have started to do some of the work if they fly workers out for the full sailback from the Caribbean!!!
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We were wary about Ventura after a 2-nighter to try her out in her first season. We couldn't understand why as we love Azura.

Faith restored with our 28-nighter in Jan/Feb this year. The first experience was totally down to the clientele and the attitude of the crew who probably hated it as much as we did.

We won't do less than 7 nights now.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 29 Oct 2017, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Happydays wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 23:28
An unplanned cruise must be one of the best kind! We came of Ventura on the 15th, we enjoyed it! Shall look forward to the rest of your review.
Same as us Happydays, Oh, did you enjoy the leisurely sail from Barcelona..??? That was fun eh.
Mel

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I'll be interested to read David's thoughts on Ventura. We were on her in January, again to the Canaries. We've been on Azura probably four times now but never on Ventura. I find it difficult to say why exactly but we much prefer Azura, and it's not just me, John felt the same way. This will probably sound odd but I found Azura to be much 'lighter', the colours on Ventura just seemed to be darker - said it would sound odd. I must also admit some of the clientele really made themselves a nuisance, not all the time, just enough to annoy people but that can happen on any cruise. One venue we did like was the Cinnamon restaurant which we went to for the Complimentary boarding lunch. It was one of the restaurants used for Freedom Dining and as we were Club we didn't go there. We liked the decor in there. We had the same cabin that we'd had on Azura so there was no difference there. I wouldn't say we would not go on Ventura again if the itinerary was one we really wanted to do but if there was a choice between her and Azura we would pick Azura.

Carole

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

screwy wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 09:47
Happydays wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 23:28
Same as us Happydays, Oh, did you enjoy the leisurely sail from Barcelona..??? That was fun eh.
Yes! It certainly "rocked the boat" ha ha

I also had a good time at the sailaway from Gibraltar :)

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Sunday 29th October

The journey down to Southampton was plain sailing (pun intended) with no problems whatsoever – however I found a “new” route. Instead of going using A34/M3/M27/M271 (I hate the M3 at the best of times) I went part way down the A34 then branched off on the A30 and, with the help of the satnav, takes you straight to the M271 which you are only on for one junction and then off and into the docks at gate 20 – we were sailing from Mayflower so I am not sure if this would work for Ocean/QEll.

Embarkation was smooth and efficient and we were on board at 12:15 heading for the “curly sandwiches”. This is where we encountered the first issue and that was with the staff in the restaurant who were sending out the vibes that they did not want to be there doing that job – which may be true but tough you are there and you are doing it! This was not helped by the fact that we were given what, to us and several others, was the most revolting glass of fizzy stuff that I have ever tasted, then it took 10 minutes to get a glass of water and another 10 minutes to get one of the two glasses of “proper” wine that I asked for. There seems to be an overall problem throughout the ship with trying to get orders correct.

Anyway cabins ready for 13:00 so off we go (sans glass of wine) to find that all our cases were ready and waiting outside the cabin. Unpacking was soon done and then disaster struck – I became unwell, I just wanted to sleep, I was so tired. I was able to go to the muster drill which was really the same as all the previous ones, nothing new – only criticism was that the woman in charge was tell people to turn their mobiles to silent during the drill – no turn them OFF!!

So muster drill over and back to the cabin where all I wanted was to sleep – in fact I so bad that I was unable to go down for dinner (compo claim already in!), I have never felt like that before but fortunately I was pretty much back to normal the next day.

Monday 30th October

I would not say that I was back to 100% fitness but fairly close so it was very much just having a look around the ship and resting. We both agree that for a ship that is due a refit in the next few months she is in remarkably good condition, is well maintained and does not look tired – in fact as a ship we prefer Ventura to Azura – although whether that will apply to the whole cruise experience is something that the jury is still out on.

Tonight was the first “Black Tie” night and I have to say that in the areas we were in that the dress code was extremely well adhered to and later in the theatre there were not many who were “casual”. The meal was Marco “Gala” dinner with Beef Wellington which was OK – nothing exceptional, but there was some Stilton with port available (if you asked!). The show in the theatre was the Headliners with, what for us was, a new show “Back Stage”. The Headliners troupe appeared to be larger than on other ships but the one thing that I was pleased about was that they had the sound balance right, we were not deafened – oh, and they were not screeching.

I am pleased to say that I have recovered from my malaise and “normal service” has resumed.

To be continued …

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I hope you insurance company doesn't read your cruise reports! You'll never get cover again. But pleased you're back to normal.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We came off Ventura 2 weeks ago and i agree she is in very good nick. We travel down from the North West, M6-M5 t0 Jct 11a.Straight down past Swindon, through Marlborough and Tidworth ( my old barracks ) to Salisbury, A36 to Southampton.
Mel

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Our next cruise holiday is on Ventura and it will be a first for us.
Very much looking forward to June 2018.
Empty vessels .. and all that

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 17:26

Tonight was the first “Black Tie” night and I have to say that in the areas we were in that the dress code was extremely well adhered to and later in the theatre there were not many who were “casual”. The meal was Marco “Gala” dinner with Beef Wellington which was OK – nothing exceptional, but there was some Stilton with port available (if you asked!). The show in the theatre was the Headliners with, what for us was, a new show “Back Stage”. The Headliners troupe appeared to be larger than on other ships but the one thing that I was pleased about was that they had the sound balance right, we were not deafened – oh, and they were not screeching.
Have a count up next time - there are usually 13 of them (2 male singers, 2 male dancers, 2 female singers and the rest dancing girlies)

Trouble is, they usually don't stay still long enough to count !

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

barney wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 10:12
Our next cruise holiday is on Ventura and it will be a first for us.
Very much looking forward to June 2018.
Barney, would that be the Med on June 17th? If so we are also on that cruise.
John

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Yes it is John !

We have booked C254

See you on board :thumbup:

There are a few port that we haven't done before so will be interesting.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Tuesday 31st October

As today was another sea day we had a relaxing day doing nothing. The weather was not really conducive to sitting out for very long!

A couple of things to report – the new Dixons at Sea has opened on Ventura which, if Ventura was the same as Azura, has replaced the camera sales area and whilst there is not much that I would be wanting to buy it does look a well stocked area with the likes of travel accessories, various cables, accessories for cameras along with larger bits of kit such as cameras, iPads, Bluetooth accessories etc. All in all it looks a useful addition.

The other point that I have noticed is the “Grand Opening of …”. If seems a bit odd that shops, or areas of shops, have a grand opening when it is obvious that they have been open for some time – the cynic in me says that this is a marketing ploy to encourage some passengers to part with their hard earned cash.

Today being 31st October it is of course Halloween so much of the ship is adorned with ghosts, ghouls, webs and all other trappings of the event. At night there were quite a few dressed for the occasion, and not just children – it certainly gave the ship some atmosphere – and amusment!

OK let’s have a moan. There is clearly a design/usage fault with the restaurants (and from memory the same problem exists on Azura) and that is that the Bay Tree restaurant is on deck six and is only accessible via one staircase so consequently there are many passengers waiting to go to dinner in the small area outside the restaurant which then overspills onto the stairs and even at the top of the stairs on deck seven. It would have made more sense to have had this as a Freedon Dining restaurant than a Club restaurant. Moan over!

Tonight in the theatre was one of the best acts that I think I have ever seen on a P&O ship – they were so good that I never closed my eyes for a second and the theatre was packed out with not a seat to be had. The group was The Revolvers who were doing The Sounds of the Sixties. This is a traditional “pop” group of that era consisting of three lads on guitars and a drummer – no synthetic music anywhere. It is a group I have not seen before but will certainly be one that I will be looking out for in the future (if I can get in to see them!!)

To be continued …

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

barney wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 11:50
Yes it is John !

We have booked C254

Looks like we will be next door but one neighbours Barney, we are in C302 an accessible cabin, keep a lookout for me pushing my wife's red wheelchair.
John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Interesting numbering system if 254 is next but one to 302 ?!

stocktonmackem2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by stocktonmackem2 »

towny44 wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 08:54
Yes it is John !

We have booked C254

Looks like we will be next door but one neighbours Barney, we are in C302 an accessible cabin, keep a lookout for me pushing my wife's red wheelchair.
We are on that one as well. x

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

stocktonmackem2 wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 11:42
towny44 wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 08:54
Yes it is John !

We have booked C254

We are on that one as well. x
I think this was the cruise where my TA got your favourite cabin first?
John

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Wednesday 1st November

We awoke this morning to grey and misty day just going under the bridge into Lisbon port. It was going to be a busy day with five ships in the port and we were next to last to arrive – with Fred’s Balmoral just behind us, but she was parking up at the old berth just under the bridge. We were at the “new” terminal which has had a lot of work done to but in all honesty I cannot remember what it was like before. There was also Aorora docking just before us – the interesting thing being that both of the P&O ships were the last to dock and the first to leave at night!

I think that this is the first time that we have visited Lisbon when it has not been raining, but not wishing to disappoint us the Captain did promise us some showers later in the afternoon – but they never arrived! Now why is it that P&O arrange their itineraries so that you end up calling at ports either on a Sunday or, as in our case today, a public holiday where everything is closed?

As we have been to Lisbon several times and there is only so much you can see from the HoHo and we have done several tours (mostly in the rain) we booked to go on the Palace of Queluz and Cascais tour as we have never been to these places. One change with meeting for excursions is that there is a brief note in the Horizon to say meet by the coached 10 minutes before your tour time but not any earlier otherwise there will be congestion and don’t be late because we will not wait for you! We got there at the requested time and got straight onto the coach which, unusually, had a lady driver.

The palace was moderately interesting but nothing more, and somewhat less, spectacular than many other palaces built around that time. It was the usual being “herded” through the place to keep to the time schedule. I will admit though that the guide spoke excellent English, even though she did drone on a bit at times. Next we went off to the Estoril coast which, surprisingly, neither of us had even been to despite how popular it was at one time as a holiday destination. As we got nearer the coast the weather changed (obviously why it was a popular holiday destination) with the sun coming out and the temperature going up a tad.

Cascais is a very pleasant place but with only just over half an hour to wander around did not really give us much time to really explore much other than the main couple of streets – although wandering down a narrow side street I did manage to find a well stocked port shop that had some very serious, and expensive, bottles of port! Now as we all know when on excursions there is always one couple who are always late, well guess what? This excursion was the exception – everyone was on time. There were, however, several “tight wads” on the excursion who chose to leave the coach by the read exit when we arrived back at the port in order to avoid giving the guide and driver a tip – in my opinion if you can afford a cruise them you can afford a tip when you have a good guide.

This afternoon we just had a rest prior to having our meal at the Epicurean. Never having been on Ventura before we had not been here but had visited it several times when on Azura so assumed that it would be the same and we were not disappointed to find that it was just as good. What was surprising though was how few diners were in there (seven tables) – whether this was just the night of whether there are other factors I don’t know but certainly when we have been on Azura the place has been a lot busier than that. Anyway we are going again next week so we shall see what it is like then.

To be continued …
Last edited by david63 on 02 Nov 2017, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I never understand why Sundays or national holidays are given as port days. I see little point trailing around a town whose shops and places of interest are shut. Is it so difficult to schedule cruise itineraries to avoid this?
Thank you for the update David. I hope all is well with you after your 'funny turn'. (PS Where is the key to the safe? :lol: :lol: )
Last edited by oldbluefox on 02 Nov 2017, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It's brilliant if one gets to the Port on a Sunday or a National Holiday ... the shops are shut for goodness sakes :clap: :clap:

Cascais is delightful and the location of the major earthquake where many of their Royals perished all those years ago.

ps .... Obidos is, imo, worth a visit next time you go.

Last edited by Manoverboard on 02 Nov 2017, 18:09, edited 2 times in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Ventura Cruise Reports”