Late Sailing

Discussions about anything related to Ventura

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Late Sailing

Post by david63 »

I notice that Ventura has been having "technical" problems as was late leaving Southampton yesterday.

Does not bode well after just having her mainly technical/mechanical refit!

London Cruiser
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Late Sailing

Post by London Cruiser »

I wasn't aware she had a "technical/mechanical refit!". Yes she went into dry dock for the five yearly MOT, she did have to have work done beneath her her rear end in Gran Canaria by divers which the Captain explaining it was part of work that needs to be carried out as a five yearly safety check.
The only technical work as far as I`m aware of was in the Theatre. Ventura is on its way to Vigo ( unscheduled for repairs) for half a day and the scheduled stop in Cadiz has been cancelled.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My sister in law is on this one and they left about 11 o'clock so should easily make up the time after Vigo. Shame about Cadiz as we had recommended a really good tapas bar.
Last edited by barney on 12 May 2018, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

barney wrote: 12 May 2018, 15:57
My sister in law is on this one and they left about 11 o'clock so should easily make up the time after Vigo. Shame about Cadiz as we had recommended a really good tapas bar.
We will be stopping in Cadiz in June Barney with our Canadian SIL &BIL, please share the tapas bar info it might be somewhere we would like to visit.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

A friend of ours was on the cruise before and they missed Oporto due to "engine problems" her words not mine.

RB

ps ... Her 1st cruise and she loved it.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

towny44 wrote: 12 May 2018, 18:50
barney wrote: 12 May 2018, 15:57
We will be stopping in Cadiz in June Barney with our Canadian SIL &BIL, please share the tapas bar info it might be somewhere we would like to visit.
It is called La Tabernita, Towny.

An easy walk from where the ship comes in, over on the side where the beach is.
It's little more than a hole in the wall with outside tables, down a back street, but the food is 100% authentic Spanish.
It's not a tourist trap but they do speak English.
My only disappointment was for me to address them in (my) Spanish and the waiter replied in English :cry:

That also happened to me in Gran Canaria :(

We stumbled across a fantastic Tapas bar when last in Barcelona. Again it was down a back street and I'd probably never find it again although I do remember it was near to El Mercado.
We got a tad carried away at this one and the final bill was over 70 euros for lunch.
A wonderful meal and drinks and we decided that we were worth it.
I think it's as much the ambiance as the food.

We found this lovely place in Gran Canaria one year, by accident and three years later, again stumbled across it by accident, when just wandering.

Weirdly, a similar thing happened in Tenerife.
We stopped for a coffee while just mooching, as we do.
Years later, we found ourselves back in Tenerife and again while generally mooching, I said to Mrs B, fancy a coffee?
Opposite was a coffee place so we went in and I thought to myself, this feels familiar.
We sat down and were served, and I started looking at photos on my phone, only to find out that not only was it the same place, but we were actually sitting at the same table.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

RB1961 wrote: 12 May 2018, 21:01
A friend of ours was on the cruise before and they missed Oporto due to "engine problems" her words not mine.

RB

ps ... Her 1st cruise and she loved it.
My sister in laws first ever cruise was last year on Ventura. They chose a cruise holiday on our recommendation and loved it so much they immediately booked this one.
She said just before they left that she didn't think she'd be doing anymore fly holidays after the one they have booked in September.

I did warn them that it's a very expensive habit to get into.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We were on this cruise, the captain informed us about 5 o’clock that we would be late due to a problem with a propulsion unit,finally sailed about 11,the stop in Vigo was a total waste of time but it saved the compo claims for a missed port.
Mel

Return to “About Ventura”