Dress Code Wording

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dress Code Wording

Post by david63 »

Received the pre cruise booklet for our September cruise the other day and there is a subtle change to the wording re the evening dress code - "suggested" has been replaced with "requested". I wonder how many will notice, or indeed note, the change?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Dress Code Wording

Post by Stephen »

Very few David.

Any code is only as good as the people that enforce it. In P&O's case, wear whatever you like.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Personal choice again. For us that's disappointing. What is the point of any dress code if it is watered down?

What next? We request you don't get drunk and fight in bars? We request you don't down the corridors at midnight screaming the F Word?

Well you've paid for your holiday. As Stephen (almost) says. Do what you like!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

P&O simply cannot enforce dress codes, or much else for that matter, if they intend to pitch for high occupancy on their ships … sad for some but true.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Definitions seem to indicate that request has more weight than suggest, whether P&O are trying to strengthen the dress code, or just don't know the difference, only time will tell.

Just reading our cruise brochure for September, under Dress codes it says that 'guests are expected to follow our dress codes, but it does not say they must adhere to dress codes.
Last edited by towny44 on 12 Jul 2018, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 18:09
P&O simply cannot enforce dress codes, or much else for that matter, if they intend to pitch for high occupancy on their ships … sad for some but true.
Not sure I understand a connection between enforcement of rules/guidance and occupancy. Does that mean, for example, you can't sell out cruises if you stop people hogging sunbeds or children using adult pools? I would have thought the opposite applied.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 18:38
Not sure I understand a connection between enforcement of rules/guidance and occupancy. Does that mean, for example, you can't sell out cruises if you stop people hogging sunbeds or children using adult pools? I would have thought the opposite applied.
I am saying that if P&O were to enforce dress codes the punters would go elsewhere, P&O themselves recognise that by virtue of not intending to have ( allegedly ) formal codes on their next generation of ships.

I also observed that P&O do not / can not / will not enforce much else … your examples will suffice to illustrate the point.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

When this generation of cruisers are dead and buried traditional cruising will be a thing of the past.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Well at least we won't be around to have to see it!

Carole

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Onelife wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 08:53
When this generation of cruisers are dead and buried traditional cruising will be a thing of the past.
That's not true - what today's "new" cruisers experience will become the traditional cruising experience and the following generation of cruisers will create the next tradition - and so it will go on.
Manoverboard wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 08:44
by virtue of not intending to have ( allegedly ) formal codes on their next generation of ships.
Where has that been stated?

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

david63 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 11:02
That's not true - what today's "new" cruisers experience will become the traditional cruising experience and the following generation of cruisers will create the next tradition - and so it will go on.
by virtue of not intending to have ( allegedly ) formal codes on their next generation of ships.
Agree David.
There is nothing as constant as change.
We readily accept that most of the 'modern' things are not aimed at us.
They are aimed at their potential market.

As I said on another thread, if you are looking for a niche cruise holiday, then you'll have to find a niche supplier.
The mainstream companies will try to attract the mainstream customer.
That means huge ships with lots of facilities.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

david63 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 11:02

Ok David, it's all in the wording.......just insert 'our' in place of 'this'

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 18:38
I am saying that if P&O were to enforce dress codes the punters would go elsewhere, P&O themselves recognise that by virtue of not intending to have ( allegedly ) formal codes on their next generation of ships.
P&O with their current formal code, and most adhering to it, are still putting far more bums on seats than any other line operating out of the UK at present. Not time to run up the white flag yet. :thumbup:

Return to “P&O”