Bean Counters at it Again

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bean Counters at it Again

Post by david63 »

I am currently on a 30 night cruise and yesterday we had a letter round saying that as this cruise is over 28 days we will get an interim statement tomorrow which will be taken from our credit cards two days later. Never heard of this rule before - I know that if you are doing a Worldie that you have to settle your account at the end of each segment.

I suspect that the issue is that after x number of days then pre-authorisations roll off so that there is no guarantee that P&O will get all of their money.

It could be a problem for some if they do not have the funds in the right place at the right time.

Is this new or has anyone heard of this happening before?

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Bean Counters at it Again

Post by Meg 50 »

at least they warned you - albeit somewhat tardily
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

No never come across that. But the longest cruise we've done is 28 days so maybe we just dodged it.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Me neither. For a lot of passengers they would have been working through the on board credit first.

It's always the second half of the cruise that costs me more. This time for an inside cabin I have been given £130. For the one just booked yesterday as it's only 12 nights instead of 17 just £40.

Lindsey

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

If people can afford a 30 nt plus cruise then surely they should ensure they have the funds in place.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

screwy wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 09:21
If people can afford a 30 nt plus cruise then surely they should ensure they have the funds in place.
My thoughts too screwy

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We certainly had this happen when we were on Aurora for 65 nights at the beginning of the year. In fact although the cruise round South America wasn't split into sectors as far as booking were concerned - you had to book for the whole round trip, no sectors offered - on board we found that the cruise was split into two sectors, which for us was excellent as at the beginning of the second sector we received the usual gifts in a mini suite that you get at the beginning of the trip - wine, chocolates etc. That was unexpected and very welcome.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

screwy wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 09:21
Not necessarily. You may have the funds in place to pay the whole account at the end of the cruise not half the account part way through is the point I am making. If passengers were pre-warned then it would be a different matter.

As far as I am concerned it is not a problem, but some people, myself included, do not leave large sums of money in current accounts when on holiday.
Last edited by david63 on 18 Sep 2018, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

I can see your point David but all i'm saying is that i wouldnt dream of going on holiday without having funds in place to cover all eventualities.
Mel

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

In 2015 we booked on a 36 day cruise on Oriana for April 2016.(which we unfortunately had to cancel) Bolsover sent us a notification early December 2015 as follows:

"""P&O CRUISES LTD - X605
ORIANA | 6 April 2016 | 36 Days

I have been asked by P&O Cruises to advise you of some important information regarding your forthcoming cruise.

On longer cruises, the settlement of on board accounts are processed at regular intervals. As your cruise is longer than 30 nights, the card you register at embarkation will be debited on the 22nd April, as well as at the end of your cruise.""

This was nearly 3 years ago. At least they gave notice of their intention to take money earlier!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I guess that they see it as 28 days credit for drinks, excursions etc.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Return to “P&O”