Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

NCL's Free At Sea

Post by Gill W »

I saw this whilst browsing Twitter today

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/free-at-sea-uk

You pay £99 extra and you can pick two upgrades, choosing from Drinks Package, Specialty Dining Package, Shore Excursion Credit, Free Wi-fi or Friends and Family sail at a reduced rate.

I understand that the £99 applies to cruises of 7 to 9 nights, so it would be more expensive on a longer cruise, but this seems like a good idea at a reasonable cost. You could pick the things that are most valuable to the individual - I'd probably go with the drinks package and the dining package.

I don't particularly fancy NCL, but if I saw something similar on P&O, Fred or CMV, I'd go for it. (although, knowing P&O, it'd be a ridiculous price)
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: NCL's Free At Sea

Post by Stephen »

Drinks package would be one choice, not sure about the second. I think it would be between free WiFi and speciality dining.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I’m guessing most would opt for a drinks package. For me it would depend on what was included. I drink very little anyway, usually only one drink a day, but it can be an expensive one. I’d probably go with wifi.
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'd defo have the drink and food. I spend much of my cruise time starving :lol: :lol: ironically the WiFi has no interest at all. I never even check my phone when on holiday.
Last edited by barney on 02 Apr 2019, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I think that if I was to avail myself of the offer I would be looking at what each "package" contains, how much I would use it and what it would cost to but. After that I would then be able to make an informed decision.

I always feel with this type of "offer" that somewhere there is a catch and all is not what it seems - but I may well be wrong.

Is the cost per person or per cabin?

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

it says £99 per booking, so I’d read that as per cabin, but wouldn’t swear to it
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I'll bet the base fare has been walloped up to cover the cost of these extras.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 21:57
I think that if I was to avail myself of the offer I would be looking at what each "package" contains, how much I would use it and what it would cost to but. After that I would then be able to make an informed decision.

I always feel with this type of "offer" that somewhere there is a catch and all is not what it seems - but I may well be wrong.

Is the cost per person or per cabin?

Info taken from the link Gill provided David under 'Frequently Asked Questions'.

Guests sharing a cabin will receive the same offer(s). Note: Free speciality Dining Package and Free Beverage Package are applicable to Guests 1 and 2 on the reservation. Free Extra Guests, Shore Excursion Credits and WIFI package are applied per stateroom.
Last edited by Stephen on 03 Apr 2019, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I really don't fancy NCL but if that is the price for the cruise it really is a bargain compared to other lines. It does say in the headline it's per person but even we could drink that much without trying and then lob in one of the other offers too. But as Towny says it's probably all in the base price.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 03 Apr 2019, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Just to add to above - actually just compared their base price with P&O for similar cabin on a 14 night Baltic cruise and it's not a lot different

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

barney wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 20:11
I'd defo have the drink and food ….. ironically the WiFi has no interest at all. I never even check my phone when on holiday.
I agree with all of that :thumbup:

We have chums who have cruised regularly with NCL, no problem for them but they are not interested in formality.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 09:06
I'd defo have the drink and food ….. ironically the WiFi has no interest at all. I never even check my phone when on holiday.

We have chums who have cruised regularly with NCL, no problem for them but they are not interested in formality.
Which is why we wouldn't like it. We do like getting the penguin suit and posh frocks out. But each to his own and vive la difference.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 17:39
Manoverboard wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 09:06

Which is why we wouldn't like it. We do like getting the penguin suit and posh frocks out. But each to his own and vive la difference.

So do we, but they did push it a bit on our last 12 nighter with three formal nights with just two or three nights between the last two.
Last edited by Stephen on 04 Apr 2019, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We booked every single one of our cruises because of the destination on offer rather than the dress code.

Going smart / elegant casual made a pleasant change … or so we thought.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Any Other Cruise Line/Ship”