New P&O website

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
oldpoer
Cadet
Cadet

New P&O website

Post by oldpoer »

anybody worked it out yet why they changed it for better or worse???

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: New P&O website

Post by anniec »

Because they can and have nothing better to do?

They have done the same to the Cunard website. I'm easily beaten and have resorted to checking prices etc. on Iglu.

My email to Cunard got the usual unsatisfactory response, but the gist was that the website was just about the finished article, and we were stuck with it. Perhaps an email to P&O may elicit a more helpful response?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Seems to be the way IT departments keep themselves in work. If the website works, change it.

I seem to recall that every time P&O changes theirs there's an outcry. But they never learn.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Much as I may criticise P&O IT department we no not the reasoning behind the change. There are quite often technical reasons, that we are unaware of, as to why a web site has to change.

With this change it is, I believe, now the same as Cunard (I don't use use Cunard so cannot confirm one way or the other) which would suggest that Carnival are consolidating their resources and only having one basic site to maintain as opposed to two. It is possible that other Carnival brands will follow suit.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I find that it works reasonably on my laptop, but many of the features don't work well on my tablet, however it has too many bugs that should have been sorted in beta testing, the main one is having to repeat the login process for no apparent reason.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I think it looks smashing. It looks like a responsive mobile first design - I am not a great fan of that design pattern but P&O have made it work well. Have only flicked at a couple of screens and have seen a couple of problems, but nothing serious.

towny, the issue with your tablet may be the browser rather than the site (I get that a lot on my old Blackberry, but my Nexus is fine). What tablet is it? If the default browser does not work well then try installing Chrome and see if that is better.

RAwllE-12
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by RAwllE-12 »

If you check the deck plans, for example, it shows that the Azura has an Andersons plus a bar that is not on there this is just two of the many mistakes that are being high lighted on P.O facebook site

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

RAwllE-12 wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 07:42
If you check the deck plans, for example, it shows that the Azura has an Andersons plus a bar that is not on there this is just two of the many mistakes that are being high lighted on P.O facebook site
Whatever the technical reasons behind the change there's no excuse really for that sort of mistake. That's not technical it's editorial and there should be enough people at Carnival and / or P&O who know what the ships looks like to have spotted that prior to releasing it to the public.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

It looks like the TUI/first choice website format

it's easily usuable but as others have said, there are mistakes in it.
Empty vessels .. and all that

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I went and had a look, with a bit of fear and trepidation after someone had said they couldn't log in to their My Cruises section. However, much to my amazement my password worked - more amazing that I remembered it - and yes all the cruises were there. One thing I found is that they don't make it easy to discover information - for example I wanted to check what the theme nights, if any, are going to be on our forthcoming week's cruise on Arcadia. I went to the help section and typed in Theme Nights but no, nothing there, just gave me the two types of dress code. Talking of which I read that Smart Dress Shorts (is there such a thing?) are now allowed on Casual nights - anyone else come across that? I'd more or less got used to the old website and now they change it. Haven't tried searching for a cruise yet!

Carole

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I've had no problem getting around and searching etc. But it is the mistakes, such as bars listed which don't exist on Azura (I think they've confused her with Aurora - both start and end with A!) which are irritating.

They also now have what they call "interactive" deck plans. I was naively expecting you might be able to click on, for example a bar, on the plan, and get pictures and information about it. Seemingly not.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I wonder how long it will take the web bods to fix it.

Don't hold your breath.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We're on Azura soon. I might just ask at reception if they can direct me to Andersons. Innocently mention I saw it on the website and it's my favourite bar!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Kendhni wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 05:37
I think it looks smashing. It looks like a responsive mobile first design - I am not a great fan of that design pattern but P&O have made it work well. Have only flicked at a couple of screens and have seen a couple of problems, but nothing serious.

towny, the issue with your tablet may be the browser rather than the site (I get that a lot on my old Blackberry, but my Nexus is fine). What tablet is it? If the default browser does not work well then try installing Chrome and see if that is better.
Its an Asus and I always use chrome.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

RAwllE-12
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by RAwllE-12 »

We on the Azura in September, if you do locate the Andersons Bar, will you be so kind and let me know and I promise I will not tell anybody so that I can have it all to myself and enjoy those canapes

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

RAwllE-12 wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 18:28
We on the Azura in September, if you do locate the Andersons Bar, will you be so kind and let me know and I promise I will not tell anybody so that I can have it all to myself and enjoy those canapes
I'll even leave a drink behind the bar for you. :thumbup:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

towny44 wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 11:18
Kendhni wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 05:37

Its an Asus and I always use chrome.
Hmm, can you give me an example of where it is going wrong for you and I can try it out on my tablets?
What OS are you on?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I would add that there are quite a lot of documented problems with various versions of Chrome

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Having seen all the negative comments I've now had a better look at both the P&O and Cunard websites.

Yes things have moved, but I've found the site easy to navigate and found all the bits I want. I found it easier to do a mock booking to get some more detailed prices than on the old site. Once you work it out you don't have to put in pretend passengers' details to do it any more. And cabins selection is better. The default seems to be Saver witg no choice, but if you opt for Select and to choose your own cabin, rather than being offered a selection of some that are available, which on the old site was never a complete list, you can choose deck and location along the length of the ship and then get a section of deck-plan showing all the cabins marked as booked or available. Much better.

Also, in relation to the problem with some browsers, I could never log in to my account using Edge, the standard Windows 10 browser, and had to remember to use a different one. That problem is now solved, which is a plus for me.

The frustration remains the editorial errors, such as non-existent bars, but we can't blame the techies for that. And it's not confined to the P&O site. I just did a test booking on Cunard and found a trip to Northern Europe, including a call at Ijmuiden (for Amsterdam). The itinerary map shows that to be located somewhere off the west coast of southern Africa. No wonder there have been delays with the transfers!

So despite initial scepticism I think with further study it's actually an improvement. Maybe the concerns are with the loss of something familiar, even if was itself flawed.

I'm certainly amused by the OTT Facebook comments from people who say they'll never book P&O again because they don't like the website. For me the choices are more about itinerary, ship and price!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 14:25
people who say they'll never book P&O again because they don't like the website
Good that leaves more choice, and lower fares, for the rest of us :wave: :wave:

I have not completed a booking but up to the payment stage it is much better than the "old" system.

Not sure if it would come later in the process but I did not see an option for the Auto upgrade, but then again there was no option for OBC, bed configuration and dining option - although the last two can, or at least could, be done via the Cruise Personaliser

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I suspect those options come after entering passenger details. I only went as far as choosing cabin.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I entered passenger details and then it wanted me to pay - so I "jumped ship"!

Possibly once you have entered payment details you get those options

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 14:25
I'm certainly amused by the OTT Facebook comments from people who say they'll never book P&O again because they don't like the website. For me the choices are more about itinerary, ship and price!
Seriously are some people so divorced from reality that that is what they are saying - they are pathetic, and probably not the sort of people I would want to meet on a cruise.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Just had a look and went through as far as choosing a cabin. Didn't take long to get the hang of it. All good as far as I can see. I particularly like the way it tells you all the various perk option you can choose from.

We only ever use the site to get a price and choose a cabin anyway, then book through our travel company who always give us a slightly better deal on the cabin price and more OBC.
Last edited by Stephen on 20 Apr 2019, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I still can't log in properly. It did let me check my options - to make sure I was still on the right mailing lists - but when I wen t to check my past cruises - it told me I hadn't entered the right numbers. - went back to my details, added my URN - it spat it out telling me my postcode was wrong. It wasn't - so re-entered with spaces, without spaces, making the zero an 'o' - all sorts - but it would only accept without the URN - so that bit still doesn't work - (It didn't on the previous site either!)
Meg
x

Return to “P&O”