Azura, Caribbean 2022

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Azura, Caribbean 2022

Post by Kendhni »

This came due payment in December and we thought long and hard about wehether or not we wanted to go given the COVID situation as it was back then. In the end we decided to go ahead. The first thing was the amount of paper work needed: transfer flight passes, hotel voucher, car parking voub=cher, PCR tests, COVID certificate, passport, BIM, PLF, boarding passes etc. etc. In the end I printed everything as PDFs and downloaded it to my phone.

We had to get PCR tests just before going and then on the morning of the flight we had to get an antigen test. We had flown down, to Gatwick, the night before and stayed in the Hilton so we just had to make our way to the bus (stop 6) that took us on the 15 minute drive to the test centre. it was well organised (and about an hour later we were back in the airport). We collected our bags from the hotel and went to check in .. then back to hotel for breakfast, a bit of R&R in the room before heading through security and to the flight.

Check in was very efficient with several P&O reps checking all paperwork and certificates were in order. We saw one couple being removed from the queue. I do not know the reason but they were being told that they would not be allowed on the flight. It could just have been some missing paperwork ... I really hope it was not someone stupid or selfish enough to try to board with a failed PCR or antigen test (especially since the man was one of those that had not figured out how to wear a mask properly).

On the point of masks I was surprised at the number of people, at Gatwick, that were not wearing masks (or did not know how to wear a mask) with nobody seemingly enforcing it. This was in contrast to our departure airport were it was enforced and people understood how to wear a mask properly. Both the EasyJet transfer and TUI flight to Barbados required masks to be worn at all times (except when eating/drinking), and this was enforced (although again some still seemed to need a 2 year old to explain how to wear a mask). Neither flight had any specific mask type requirement, so most seemed to be wearing lightweight paper masks.

On the way home TUI did not require masks but suggested that, out of respect for other passengers, masks should be worn, but it was personal choice. Given the choice it appears that about 95% rated their personal choice much higher than respect for others.

We also did not need have to submit PLF forms for the return journey.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Azura, Caribbean 2022

Post by Kendhni »

Azura was just as we remembered her (we were on the abandoned cruise ion 2020) so, rather than focus on that I will focus on the impact of COVID to our cruise.

Masks had to be worn when inside the ship except in your own cabin or when seated to eat/drink. The main show lounge also required masks to be worn at all times (every third seat was also blocked) but other lounges such as Malabar and Manhatten allowed masks to be removed once seated. Masks did not have to be worn when outside. Mask wearing was well enforced by P&O (the crew were very quick to tell someone off for not wearing a mask or not wearing it properly) ... well done to the staff! Overall this was a minor inconvenience and was respected by everyone I saw (although occasionally a mask got lost (tee shirt or towel around the mouth) or someone simply forgot to put one on ... I saw no deliberate acts of defiance.

What you quickly realise though is that the back quarter of the ship was sealed off as an isolation zone on all cabin decks. The rear lift was only usable for deck 7 (promenade) and decks 15 (Lido) and higher - on all other floors you were met with sealed doors.

For most of the cruise we were totally unware of the number of COVID patients onboard. There was the usual laundry room gossip, but it was about as reliable as you would normally expect. While COVID was discussed, Ukraine was much more topical.

Cunards Queen Victoria is being used to accommodate COVID passengers in Barbados (since anyone who tests positive for COVID on a cruise ship is not allowed onto barbados). QV was normally anchored off the coast of Barbados, but met us in St Lucia for a "transfer of staff" (according to the captain). When we docked in Barbados, on the last day, we noticed a boat was quietly brought alongside and about 15-20 people and their luggage were transferred to QV.

All P&O staff wore masks, both inside and outside and overall we felt that P&O were taking COVID very seriously and doing their best to keep passengers safe with hand sanitisers everywhere.

Azura seemed to have a couple of power issues while we were onboard including a ship wide "assessment team to ECR" call over the tannoy. On both occasions the captain was quick to let everyone know that everything was OK.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

It was mentioned (at some point) that Azura was running at about two thirds full (just under 2000 passengers) so there was plenty of space, seating etc. There were a few notable changes for us

1. the new app. Allowed booking of entertainment, specialty restaurants, managing your onboard account, wifi etc. It worked very well for us and meant no more hoarding of bits of paper from every purchase.
2. Blue sunbathing towels were no longer placed in cabins but were freely available on outside decks. This was a much better arrangement.
3. Cabins were only serviced once per day (in the mornings).

The Spa and Retreat seemed to be operating as normal but noticed the gym had shut down periods to allow for ventilation.

We did not use the main dining rooms (Peninsular or Meridian) at any point during the cruise but I got the impression that they were being treated as freedom dining unless bookings were linked pre-cruise. The Oriental restaurant was closed off.

We used the buffet for most meals. We both enjoyed the offerings there ... it was much busier than we remember though, so maybe others made it their dining location of choice. Sadly the grab and go section was not operational for lunches but the usual burgers, hot dogs and pizzas were available on the lido deck.

We went to Sindhus on a couple of nights - the food was up to its usual standards (especially the tenderloin and chocolate sphere (which is now more of a puck shape)). We also went to the Beach House a couple of times. They were only operating one of their menus but fortunately it was the one we liked with salt block fillet steaks ... beautiful and cooked to perfection. :) The staff in both restaurants were excellent.

We did not try the Epicurean or glass house, but both were open for business.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Most ports accepted people into their towns. We were the cruise passengers allowed outside of the port area in St Vincent; St Lucia and Barbados only allowed ship organised tours or certain taxis to be used, otherwise you had to stay in the port area. There seemed less restrictions on other islands.

The advice given by the ship was that you had to wear masks when ashore. This only seemed to be enforced in Antigua; most other islands only seemed to require masks if you went indoors.

Amber Cove was a real gem and I hope to see it on more P&O itineraries. Some said that they would have preferred Grand Turk, but we have not been there so cannot make a comparison. One of the Carnival ships was also in port when we were in Amber Cove so we met up with some people I had been talking to on Cruise Critic. We got the impression that on American ships the advice is to wear masks but it was not enforced.

The one thing that took me by surprise was the number of locals that thanked us for coming back.

In the main the weather was very good with temperatures in the mid to high 20's, but there were the occasional tropical storms. These only lasted a few minutes. In most cases you just pulled a towel over you and waited for it to pass, however a couple were heavy enough to have everyone running for cover.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

There was the usual entertainment on board. The one show we tought was brilliant was the Bruno Mars tribute (Dingle) ... fantastic show (and I don't even like Bruno Mars music). He also did a Motown act as well (Mingle with Dingle) which was also very good. We also went to the see the Dolly tribute, comedian and of course Pulse ... we did not go to any of the headliners shows simply because you had to wear a mask.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I am glad that we chose to go. It was another great holiday. Before going the bit that concerned me the most was having to wear a mask but, in the end, it was nothing more than a very minor inconvenience. Love the new app and availability of blue towels on deck; did not like that grab'n'go and ice cream stand were unavailable, not sure about cabins only being serviced one per day (??) but especially did not like the straws that definitely were not up to the suckage efforts required for Cool Coladas and Tropicanas. There were a few other minor bits and pieces that I felt fell short of P&Os usual standard but am happy to put those down to COVID compromises.

We always felt that Oceana had a more friendly atmosphere, and so miss that she has gone from the fleet, however we felt that friendliness may have been transferred to the Azura ... it felt more friendly than before.

We are booked to be back on board Azura in September and, based on this experience, we will definitely be going. If you are wondering if it is time to crawl out of your bunker then I suggest you give it a go ... you know you want to.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Good reports.
We were originally booked on this cruise, changed it to the Canaries, deferred again to 2023.
To be honest we just don't want all the hassle you mention at the start of the cruise, nor constant itinerary changes and onboard health checks so for us cruising is still off the agenda in 2022.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Good reports Ken, many thanks, on this occasion I particularly enjoyed reading about the facts relating to COVID impact rather than what you had for your breakfast etc. :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Ooh Moby, I don’t know what your getting at.!🤣
Mel

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

allatc wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 08:38
Good reports.
We were originally booked on this cruise, changed it to the Canaries, deferred again to 2023.
To be honest we just don't want all the hassle you mention at the start of the cruise, nor constant itinerary changes and onboard health checks so for us cruising is still off the agenda in 2022.
Being totally honest, I was starting to wonder if all the pre-cruise stuff was worth the effort (we have a good TA that kept us right and P&O sent plenty of reminder emails). In reality it wasn't as bad as it first appeared. A PCR test a few days before going; and then the antigen test on the morning of the flights. Everything else was done online (took me less than an hour) ... although a couple of the websites were a bit flaky. In the end it was definitely worth the effort.

We only had the one itinerary change which was Grand Turk to Amber Cove (which I would gladly go back to). There were no onboard health checks ... although I think there was a bit of a fear of needing to cough (never known show lounges to be so cough free) ... I am asthmatic, I cough, I have got used to strange looks :)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Interesting report Ken, thank you.

We’re there any lift restrictions. I don’t mind walking down stairs too much but going up several floors is a bit of a killer.

Are face masks supplied or is it bring your own?

Is the buffet at breakfast self service still or Covid crew service?

We and a couple of older friends are on Aurora mid July to Norway for twelve nights. Hopefully things maybe a little more relaxed by then.🤞
Last edited by Stephen on 21 Mar 2022, 10:13, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Stephen wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 10:06
Interesting report Ken, thank you.

We’re there any lift restrictions. I don’t mind walking down stairs too much but going up several floors is a bit of a killer.

Are face masks supplied or is it bring your own?

Is the buffet at breakfast self service still or Covid crew service?

We and a couple of older friends are on Aurora mid July to Norway for twelve nights. Hopefully things maybe a little more relaxed by then.🤞
Because the ship wasn't full there was little problem with getting lifts. Occupancy was left up to individual common sense ... but there was too much "room for one more" going on. We actually left one lift because a group of 6 piled in.

We brought our own face masks (the only ones I saw onboard were £8 for 5 in the onboard shop). I had brought several material ones but felt they were a bit 'heavy' for day to day use so on the first island I bought a pack of 50 'blue' ones (cost $15). I could however have had a genuine fake Louis Vutton or Hugo Boss mask. PS: people wer co-ordinating their formal night outfits and blingy masks. :)

Buffet area was all self service, mask mandatory ... no social distancing though. :)
Last edited by Kendhni on 21 Mar 2022, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

One other thing I meant to mention and it might serve as a warning to others. Sun tan lotions.

I usually use Piz Buin all day and Julie has always used Riemann P20 and neither of us have ever had a problem. Unfortunately I was unable to get my Piz Buin so was using the P20. Both of us burned quite badly on the first day, I have a couple of possible ideas about this
1. The Riemann P20 stock that we bought was old (maybe sitting about for a couple of years) and less effective
2. Lack of exposure for a couple of years has made our skin super sensitive to sun

Just be extra careful.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 11:22
One other thing I meant to mention and it might serve as a warning to others. Sun tan lotions.

I usually use Piz Buin all day and Julie has always used Riemann P20 and neither of us have ever had a problem. Unfortunately I was unable to get my Piz Buin so was using the P20. Both of us burned quite badly on the first day, I have a couple of possible ideas about this
1. The Riemann P20 stock that we bought was old (maybe sitting about for a couple of years) and less effective
2. Lack of exposure for a couple of years has made our skin super sensitive to sun

Just be extra careful.

I use Piz and Poo lotion…….never fails :D

#12 Thanks for the update :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 21 Mar 2022, 13:25, edited 3 times in total.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We knew a bloke who used Brylcream.! Daft but true.😂
Mel

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for that, Ken, very interesting. My last cruise was Azura in Sept 2019, and I've always liked her as a ship.

Even before the pandemic I had decided not to fly again, so I wouldn't personally do this cruise, but you've given a good flavour of current on board life.

I was booked on Queen Victoria for May, but it was cancelled, as QV role as a support ship was extended.

My one remaining cruise isn't until this time next year, and based on your report I'd be happy to do it...... but who knows what it'll be like in 12 months time
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thank you for your report Ken.
A friend and I have booked Azura for next April as a 7 night fly cruise. Not been on Azura before so your report made interesting reading.

Lindsey

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

What were the bar prices like Ken.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I didn't really look (I feel I am better off not knowing some things), but from memory, I think Budweiser was £4.50 for 330ml can (draught beers were about £5 for a pint); mocktails were £3.95 (or £3.45 for the mocktail of the day); cocktails up to £7.95 (for a raspberry brulee). I am not a spirits drinker but I think they were about £4-£4.50 for 25ml and about £6.50 for 50ml.

Unfortunately the offer for 6 x 1.5L bottles of water has gone. Instead they leave a couple of aluminium bottles of water (about 330ml?) in your cabin. You can buy 6 more tins (about 500ml each) for £7.95 ... expensive! Iced 'tap' water from the bar was fine but, as usual, in the restaurants I often found that the water tasted like TCP.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You should be grateful. TCP isn't cheap at home.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 23 Mar 2022, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

…& Laphroaig has quite a following in our house!
Last edited by Ranchi on 23 Mar 2022, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 08:09
I didn't really look (I feel I am better off not knowing some things), but from memory, I think Budweiser was £4.50 for 330ml can (draught beers were about £5 for a pint); mocktails were £3.95 (or £3.45 for the mocktail of the day); cocktails up to £7.95 (for a raspberry brulee). I am not a spirits drinker but I think they were about £4-£4.50 for 25ml and about £6.50 for 50ml.

Unfortunately the offer for 6 x 1.5L bottles of water has gone. Instead they leave a couple of aluminium bottles of water (about 330ml?) in your cabin. You can buy 6 more tins (about 500ml each) for £7.95 ... expensive! Iced 'tap' water from the bar was fine but, as usual, in the restaurants I often found that the water tasted like TCP.

Thanks Ken.

I'll tell the Mrs S to top up her credit card :D

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Friends called round to find out how our holiday went and, while chatting, we remembered an incident on board.

At the start of the Motown set being done by Jeff Dingle the entertainments staff (Holly?) had made an announcement that dancing would not be allowed for 'safety' reasons. I am not sure if this was down to a little bit of 'chop' in the seas or if it was related to COVID/social distancing. Irrespective, it was a simple request that I assume came from much higher up the command chain.

A couple (looking slightly the worse for drink, and therefore unable to follow simple instructions) got up and started dancing (or they may have been having seizures, it was hard to tell) ... possibly slightly encouraged by remarks made by the entertainer (saying he did not have an issue with dancers). Holly was out of Manhattens at the time so nothing was said, but you could see the technical staff making several phone calls. During the next song the woman was back on the dance floor with an arm waving old lady in a wheel chair.

Holly had returned to Manhattens and went up to the woman to explain that dancing was not allowed that evening (I assume). A large amount of booing came from the audience and while they did go and sit down the booing continued for a while ... possibly some old men and women that like to group bully a young girl that was just doing her job. From our seat I could see that Holly was upset and was on the phone several times.

The show continued and, on the last song, a different woman rolled the wheel chair, with the arm waving old lady, into the aisle again, but not onto the dance floor ... just 'dancing' with the wheelchair in one of the aisles. Her body language and continual glances towards the sound booth area (where Holly was) made it obvious she was being deliberately defiant and trying to provoke a reaction ... but none came.

At the end of the show Holly again came up to sign off the act, which she did very professionally, despite some booing.

Do people think that the entertainments staff make up rules to annoy passengers? it was a simple instruction that did not destroy the enjoyment of a talented entertainer (although he could maybe have done more to side with the instructions given).
Last edited by Kendhni on 29 Mar 2022, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Probably pi**ed up Northerners. ;)

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Stephen wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 16:17