Summer 2024

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Summer 2024

Post by david63 »

The most underwhelming itineraries that I have ever seen - will not be going anywhere with P&O in 2024 (unless management says otherwise!)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Summer 2024

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

So you'll be off somewhere then......

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 09:09
So you'll be off somewhere then......
When management tells me where we are going to go :relaxed:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I was looking at itineraries for next year, and they were the same old same old. But then I'm not into fly cruises to far off shores so I can't complain too much.........but I do :)

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

For 2024 I suspect that there are a few more to come out due, probably to the removal of Baltic cruises. There are gaps in the itineraries for Britannia, Arcadia and Aurora.

Not really expecting anything spectacular though - but can always live in hope.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

They are a bit same-old-same-old but we have found one that takes in a couple of ports that we have not visited yet and a couple we have been wanting to go back to ... so we have our pre-reg in already.

I am really hoping that we will soon be able to cruise the UAE again with P&O.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I thought same old ,same old.
No imagination in new ports, not even a 8 days etc around Ireland for example.

Will definitely be looking at Fred .

Lindsey

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We had already decided an around Britain cruise for 2024 but it won't be with P&O.

The only one is Arcadia (good) but 16 nights (not good) with much of the time spent going around in circles.

We'll take a good look at the rival companies.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The ' Old ' Arcadia / Columbus, I recently spotted, is doing GB cruises out of Tilbury.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Manoverboard wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 15:10
The ' Old ' Arcadia / Columbus, I recently spotted, is doing GB cruises out of Tilbury.
Great to see Arcadia/Ocean Village still going ... I had assumed it was probably scrap by now.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Out of interest, I was talking to a fellow cruiser last week about Caribbean ports. He made the point about it always being the same old ports. I asked the question well where else would you like to go that can accept a cruise ship? He came up with some interesting ideas for the Caribbean (some feasible, some less so), but does anyone have any similar thoughts in relation Med cruises or cruises from the UK ... where else would you like to go?

Bensham33
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Bensham33 »

Is it that the ships are getting bigger now and therefore can't dock in some ports? I do agree, it's same old, same old for '24.
Up the Palace

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Kendhni wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 15:55

Great to see Arcadia/Ocean Village still going ... I had assumed it was probably scrap by now.
Unfortunately, old Arcadia/Ocean Village /Columbus has been sold for scrap now. I did a Round Britain type of cruise on Columbus in May 2019, and it was excellent, and the ship was in mostly very good condition.

However, CMV went to the wall when Covid hit and most of the ships were sold - I think they were scrapped.

Ambassador Cruises is rising from the ashes of CMV, and their ship 'Ambience' (was going to be Amy Johnson with CMV)will be doing the GB cruises from Tilbury. Apparently Ambassador are getting another ship 'Ambition'

Although I like the look of the Ambassador itineraries, I'm a little uncomfortable with them as, the last time I looked they were not ABTA bonded, and the same people are behind Ambassador that were behind CMV, so I wonder if their business model is robust enough, as we still live in challenging times.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think the reality is that with the newer bigger ships and less formality P&O is targeting new cruisers who've not done those ports yet. It's only to us very old hands that they're same old same old.

For us in 2024 we're undecided whether to.go on Saga again or have one last trip on Aurora before she inevitably gets pensioned off.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re #13 yes I think of CMV's explorer-named ships the only one to escape the scrap yard was Vasco Da Gama that was sold to a Pietuguese company and which we saw off Funchal a couple of weeks ago.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Gill W wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 17:02

Unfortunately, old Arcadia/Ocean Village /Columbus has been sold for scrap now. I did a Round Britain type of cruise on Columbus in May 2019, and it was excellent, and the ship was in mostly very good condition.

However, CMV went to the wall when Covid hit and most of the ships were sold - I think they were scrapped.

Ambassador Cruises is rising from the ashes of CMV, and their ship 'Ambience' (was going to be Amy Johnson with CMV)will be doing the GB cruises from Tilbury. Apparently Ambassador are getting another ship 'Ambition'

Although I like the look of the Ambassador itineraries, I'm a little uncomfortable with them as, the last time I looked they were not ABTA bonded, and the same people are behind Ambassador that were behind CMV, so I wonder if their business model is robust enough, as we still live in challenging times.
Thanks for that update Gill, I must try to keep more up to date. :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Manoverboard wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 15:10
I had thought so too but the pic in the ad made me think otherwise, either way it was a UK cruise.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think Ambassador may have one of Columbus sisters, hence the confusion.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 09:46
I think Ambassador may have one of Columbus sisters, hence the confusion.
I think I've confused myself. Ambience is sister to what was to be Amy Johnson, which never entered service with CMV before the company folded. One or other was I think, one of the Oxean
Village ships.

Vasco da Gama is in Funchal again today. I think she is based in the Azores and currently doing a circuit of there, Madeira and the Portuguese mainland.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Well that's it. Plunge has been taken. We've been wavering between another Saga cruise, or another Cunard or Princess, or another P&O. In the end we've gone for P&O, specifically Aurora. She was for a long time our favourite ship and is still up there and we're thinking that her days must be numbered. Although very popular she is the oldest in the fleet, five years older than Arcadia. So next time one is for the chop she must be, at best, in a two horse race. The other options will still be there so Aurora it is. Booked through Bolsover and deposit paid.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 13:32
Plunge has been taken
Where to?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

For the first time in years we have not booked at least one cruise on launch with P&O. The main reason is age, we will both be 80 by then and Paulines mobility will probably have declined further making it more difficult for us to cope. Plus we would have been repeating cruises we have done many times before, so we are waiting till nearer the time, and hoping that maybe RCI willI bring a Quantum class ship for a season to Southampton, which would be a fitting finale to our cruising saga.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 13:38
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 13:32
Plunge has been taken
Where to?
12 nights to the Fjords in June. We've been several times to the Fjords but never tire of the scenery and this one goes to some ports we"ve never visited and a couple we"ve only been to once. And this time the main destination is the ship, so we're splashing out on a mini suite.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I was panicking there for a minute when I read ‘12 nights to the Fjords in…….

Fortunately the word ‘June’ appeared and not July. Whew, dodged a bullet there. Almost thought I was going to have to get a round in for a minute.🥃🍺 :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

That was a near miss. Considered that one too but preferred the June itinerary.

Return to “P&O”