Azura Caribbean to Malta

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Azura Caribbean to Malta

Post by Ray B »

I have put down a few jottings from Azura,.
Sorry I can not type like Sue and Garry report.

After taking the antigen at Gatwick we were ready to fly. Arrival in Barbados was exactly the same as in normal times and we were quickly on the ship.
Our two weeks in the Caribbean went very smooth with all Ports visited, St Lucia the only port passengers were not allowed to leave the confines of the secure area unless on a booked PO tour..
As said when I posted in Sue's post, the covid protocols on ship do not spoil the enjoyment.
A large number of passengers for the Caribbean, do not know how many, but so much room to spare on deck.
Everything on deck was open but the ice-cream counter. Maybe this was a covid risk?.
One noticeable thing was the persistent easterly wind across the islands, may be because of the strong trade winds off the Atlantic.
Entertainment on deck by the bands was good, my favorite being 'Steel' a reggae band, inside the choice of venues should have satisfied most people
Food in the MDR was down on what is served during normal times plus quite a few drinks were not available in the bars..
For transit passengers to freely go ashore in Barbados on change over weekend we had to have another antigen test. At no time when going ashore were we asked to show this!!
So no complaints, really enjoyed our two weeks in the Caribbean and meeting up again our table of eight to complete the cruise which was cut short tweo years ago.
Our friends have returned to U K and we are set for six days at sea along the Southern track across the the north Atlantic Ocean to Grand Canaria
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Azura Caribbean to Malta

Post by Ray B »

We slipped our lines during the evening, backing down the dock and turning the ship, we set sail from Bridgetown out into the Atlantic Ocean. Settling into our track to Grand Canaria, night had fallen.
The next and following days were hot, cloudy and showers tempered by the strong trade winds blowing across the decks
Deck games were all available from the sports hub at the Coral pool for those that wanted to play, but no hosted games.
Films on the sea screen and theater included the new James Bond, Mr Evan Hanson and The Father.
Pool towels were all collected from towel racks near to the pools.
That brings me to one irritant from the Caribbean two weeks. A small number of passengers placed the towels on the loungers and used them or 'reserved' them, and when they had finished or never returned, just left the towels in place thus blocking that spot for someone else enjoyment.
Running at 18 knots the Captain announced we were on a select and unique cruise. Azura has a capacity of 3100 passengers, we are a group of 500 passengers. It gives a ratio of two staff to every passenger, not bad that, you would pay a fortune to get that.
The Headliners have given two maybe three shows only from the start, but a mix of male singers and comedians and female singers violinist throughout have provided a good mix along with the bands and Steve the piano player.
The beach House as always is very pleasing with the steak on hot stone and the chicken wings to die for.
Epicurean certainly pleased the taste buds, I had the pulled duck, caviar combination as starters followed by Dover Sole, very nice.
As an aside, I do not do 'al dante' vegetables, I like, shall we say, medium done, for a better word.
The chef was spot on, and did remarked on the veg later when chatting to her.
Glass House. We rocked up to the glass house lunch and dinner, to be honest, what can I say that hasn't already been said about this place. A lovely place to while a couple of hours with food and wine. Simular, if not the same menu, but a delicious combination.
Epicurean closed from now and Sindu opens tonight I believe, still to try.
After six sea days we arrive in Las Palmas, but the Spanish Authorities have refused any crew or passengers from going ashore. The same applies to our call in Cadiz which we will not now be going to. Big question is why?
The Aida ship next to us are free to explore, so what is it we do not know?
After bunkering and taking on supplies we set sail tonight for Malta.
Don't worry, be happy

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Ray B wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 13:39
the Spanish Authorities have refused any crew or passengers from going ashore
So does that also mean that there will be no disembarking of Covid positive passengers and their close contacts?

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I’m also curious about that.
Thanks for the review by the way.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Thanks for the review Ray,
I do enjoy reading about actual cruises was nice to hear the you enjoyed yourselves

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

From reading reports from else where, Covid is the reason that Azura was refused permission to go ashore in the Spanish ports.

As Ray said, 500 passengers are on board, and these reports give the passenger Covid positive figure at anywhere between 100 - 200, so it appears to be a large outbreak.

I get the sense that the onboard messaging about this hasn't been clear, and P&O are always secretive about Covid on their ships.

Glad you are enjoying yourself, but be careful !
Last edited by Gill W on 27 Mar 2022, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Now in Malta, nice to get ashore this evening and enjoy Malta night life, something we have never had the chance to do on a cruise. Change over day tomorrow.
I can confirm it was the level of covid on board why we missed ports, if only they would tell us, I think most would then understand.
Left the sun behind at Las Palmas.
In the absence of the headliners, PO have put on a really good mix of performers and the entertainment has been top notch.
Will try to put a report together before tomorrow night's departure if I can type quicker
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Email from PO last night

We look forward to welcoming you soon on board Azura. Before you travel though, please take a moment to read this letter.

Whilst a small number, during the last cruise there was an increase in the number of cases of COVID-19 on board. Medical experts believe that this is most likely spread by inhalation of very fine respiratory droplets and the settling of those usually invisible droplets onto the eyes, nose and mouth. When groups gather, especially indoors, we therefore need to be especially cautious .

That is why, in conjunction with the UK Health Security Agency (formerly Public Health England), EU Healthy Gateways and the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) we have developed a robust set of additional protocols for such instances.

These include, proactively initiating an even more extensive sanitation programme, reducing capacities in some venues, requiring face masks to be worn in all indoor venues, as well as the ongoing use of enhanced air filtration systems.

It’s important that we are all aware of the symptoms of COVID-19, and if you have experienced any of the following symptoms within the last 24 hours, please follow medical advice and do not travel. Simply let a member of the terminal staff know.

Fever or chills Fatigue Sore throat
Cough Muscle or body aches Congestion or runny nose
Shortness of breath Headache Nausea or vomiting
Difficulty breathing New loss of taste or smell Diarrhoea

- As a further precaution, on board you are also likely to notice some enhanced sanitation measures around the ship and there are also some simple steps that we'd ask for your full cooperation in following: Should you experience any of the above symptoms, please return to your stateroom immediately and report to the Medical Centre by dialling 999.

- Wear masks in all venues outside your cabin. This includes wearing a mask when you're sat down in venues around the ship, but of course you can remove your masks when eating or drinking or when outside on deck. Please note that visors and face shields are not accepted as a substitute for a face mask.

- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser such as those you will see around the ship.

- Try to minimise touching your eyes, nose and mouth.

- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If no tissues are immediately available, sneeze or cough into the top of your arm and not into your hands. Please throw used tissues in the bin and wash your hands afterwards.

Should you have any questions regarding any of the information in this notification, please contact us on 00 44 (0) 345 355 5111

The health and well-being of our guests, crew and of those in the destinations we visit is of paramount importance to us and we thank you in advance for your efforts to help.

As the last passengers left the ship today the crew were going from cabin to cabin with a spraying machine.

24c today in Malta.
Don't worry, be happy

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Enjoyed your "jottings" Ray - thanks for letting us know how you got on. I'm off on Friday next week on Britannia for 7 days - northern Spain and France - fingers and toes crossed that we will have negative test results to get on the ship. Booked in online last night - just the medical questionnaire to fill in next week and test to get on the coach to Southampton. I'm going to be anti-social for the next week to protect myself :lol:
Janis

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

That email is interesting in that it contradicts the latest information regarding face masks on the P&O website
Whilst we highly recommend that guests wear masks on board, they are only required in the theatre, cinema, or if you visit the medical centre.
So is this a change, just for this ship/cruise or (most likely) P&O's got it wrong.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 13:06
I'm off on Friday next week on Britannia for 7 days
Just make sure you look after her - we are on her in six weeks :thumbup:

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Jan have a lovely cruise, you will find it is almost like a normal cruise, just a slight difference which soon fades.

The crossing from the Caribbean to Malta went very well, the sun was with us till the Canary Islands, the the next morning after setting sail it had gone. The temperature dropped, and from what we had, it felt cold. The new Captain took over and made clear the covid rules. Although rumors about covid on board, it has not impinged on enjoyment at all.
It was nice to feel the sun as we took in the beauty of Valletta, the noon day gun from the saluting battery, bars and restaurants plus a stroll along the great siege road.
While I think about it, a reply to David and Barny, to the the best of my knowledge, no one was put ashore in Las Palmas as there are passengers coming out of quarantine all the time.
Maybe they did not want the bother of it all.
So after breakfast this morning, the last passenger had left,it was most strange to wander through the ship with not a sole about.
This is about to change as we expect 1500 to 1800 passengers to arrive today.
All aboard by 1800hrs, but as a transit passenger we can return by 2030hrs as we are not required to do muster, the new way.
Freedom dining for all will now revert back to freedom and club dining as they open the two mdr,s midships tonight.
Drink prices have only increased by 20 to 30p. depending on the drink.
All specialty restaurants reopen tonight.
Time to leave this bar and wifi, tomorrow at sea then Villa France.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Enjoyed your "jottings" Ray - thanks for letting us know how you got on. I'm off on Friday next week on Britannia for 7 days - northern Spain and France - fingers and toes crossed that we will have negative test results to get on the ship. Booked in online last night - just the medical questionnaire to fill in next week and test to get on the coach to Southampton. I'm going to be anti-social for the next week to protect myself :lol:
No change there :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

the coach to Southampton
Not wanting to put you off but are you aware that if anyone on the coach tests positive at the terminal then all the coach passengers are declined boarding?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

That’s it David cheer her up :D

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

david63 wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 15:00
the coach to Southampton
Not wanting to put you off but are you aware that if anyone on the coach tests positive at the terminal then all the coach passengers are declined boarding?
Thankfully things have moved on from everyone on the coach being declined boarding. I have today checked with the coach company and if someone does test positive at the pier this doesn't prevent passengers who had a negative result from boarding the ship. I'm travelling solo and hoping reduced passenger numbers and compulsory mask wearing will keep me safe. Apparently there is a doctor at the pier who can insist on passengers with a negative result being re-tested but from the conversation with the coach guy this rarely happens. He also told me that they are in talks with the cruise lines to stop the compulsory lateral flow testing before boarding the coach but for my own peace of mind I would do one anyway.
Janis

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Cheers Ray 👍
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Leaving Malta behind and approaching Corsica on our second night just after midnight , we ran headlong into a force 10 to severe storm 11 sea. With the ship being hit with huge waves making it bump along and creaking sounds all around the cabin I don't think many on board were not awoken. The BBC reporting winds of 100mph.
Needless to say our visit to Ajaccio on Corsica was was abandoned and we turned about to head back to the straights, between Corsica and Sardinia, to run up the east side of the island in calmer seas. As the ship headed back to the straights, we were beam on to the wind, and for a while we're sailing on the huh, walking downhill starboard
to port.
Villa France today, weather started nice but quickly went down hill, cold.
Took a trip to St Paul de Venice, small village on top of a hill, must be nice on sunny days. The charming cobbled streets mainly full with shops of sculptures, pottery and art. The trip went through Nice, so an opportunity to observe nice from the coach.
Last night in the theater were The Four Harps, very good Irish group who soon had the audience going.
Tried Sindus last night, soft shell crab was delicious while Mrs B had Prawns followed by tandoori chicken, very nice..
Had to fill a plf for Italy, just to say the phone in the end did not end up in the sea, it's life only saved by the young reception girl who took nearly 45 minutes to do it.
Tomorrow, Florence and Pisa.
So, today we are in Ajaccio, yes we are. A rearranged call due to Italian demands.
Apparently due to very high covid numbers in UK and the ship having covid patients, the authorities demanded the Captain off loaded all those passengers and crew with covid, to them, with no assurance of their safety or accommodation. Also they required access to all the passengers medical records, not just the vaccination certificate, all of which Carnival House could not agree with.
We await for tonight's Captains broadcast to find out if tomorrow we will be going to Rome.
The sun is out and walking around Ajaccio is very pleasant.
Don't worry, be happy

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

St Paul de Vence eh, it's simply lovely in the sunshine ... just saying ;)

There do seem to be so many twists 'n' turns Covid wise :o

Bon Voyage :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I can’t understand why authorities would want to bring Covid patients into their country. Very strange.

I would have thought it should be the Captains decision whether to off load passengers, not port authorities.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Ray B wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 11:19
they required access to all the passengers medical records
Not sure how P&O could comply with that as they do not have access to anybody's medical records (except possibly the crew)

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 12:43
I can’t understand why authorities would want to bring Covid patients into their country.
Sounds as if Italy is the new Spain!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Let’s hope Norway fairs better.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

If Italy persists with these demands then I would be more than happy for La Spezia to be dropped from our June Britannia cruise, and would be more than happy for it to be replaced by Ajaccio.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Well we are on our way to Rome.!!!!!!
Don't worry, be happy

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”