Best Balcony Cabin On Iona

All about Iona

Topic author
daveoc14
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Best Balcony Cabin On Iona

Post by daveoc14 »

We are booking the 35 night Caribbean in Jan 2025 when it goes on sale. Given that we will be in the cabin for such a long time I would appreciate peoples thought on what balcony cabin, be it standard or deluxe (not conservatory), they would pick for this longer cruise. I know there are ones with bigger balconies.
Last edited by daveoc14 on 22 Oct 2022, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Best Balcony Cabin On Iona

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We had midships deluxe balcony cabins on deck 10. Number around 10434 I think. Nice spacious cabins with decent balconies. Also other cabins above and below so no noise from public rooms. A benefit for us was interconnecting door to our family next door but you might not want that. One door further down the corridor you can avoid that. It's identified on the deck plan. Highly recommend.

Topic author
daveoc14
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by daveoc14 »

Looking at the deck plan would you say the balcony was bigger than other deluxe---it looks that way from the plan?.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We were on deck 10. 10702 right by the aft stairs/lifts,the balcony was nice and big.No noise from the stairs/lifts, we were well pleased with it.
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

daveoc14 wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 10:05
Looking at the deck plan would you say the balcony was bigger than other deluxe---it looks that way from the plan?.
Yes you're right. The outside of the ship, and the front of the balcony, curves at that point to match the profile of the atrium below and the Skydome above, but the deluxe cabins along that corridor are the same size, so it's the balconies that get progressively bigger. We'd definitely book those cabins again. Just to add, although there are interconnecting doors they are double doors, lockable from either side, and they're well insulated. So there are no security issues and I doubt you'd hear any noise. Plus the cabins are midships so least movement too if it gets choppy. I'd be very happy there for a transatlantic 35 night trip.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 22 Oct 2022, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We’ve booked Arvia and it’s the same layout cabin wise.
We’ve booked 15253 which is a large balcony cabin.
We booked this on recommendation from our cabin neighbours on our last cruise who stayed in it on Iona and were very happy with it.
They showed us some photos and the balcony is huge and rearward facing so little wind.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

barney wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 12:50
We booked this on recommendation from our cabin neighbours on our last cruise who stayed in it on Iona and were very happy with it.
They showed us some photos and the balcony is huge and rearward facing so little wind.
Having just returned from Iona I am not sure I would enjoy those corner hump balcoies, despite their huge size. Our cabin was midway between 2 of those cabins and the extended part is totally exposed to all the inbetweeners cabins. One person did use this part of the balcony, but those in the other one never ventured onto the exposed part. We had one of these booked pre covid but that cruise was cancelled and I am now glad it didn't go ahead.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Hi John, did you come across our friend Myra in the glasshouse.?
Mel

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

New itineraries

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Good morning - can’t seem to create a new subject so I’m adding it here! What are your thoughts on the new itineraries??

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: New itineraries

Post by Stephen »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 09:43
Good morning - can’t seem to create a new subject so I’m adding it here! What are your thoughts on the new itineraries??

LadyPCruiser

If you look on the main forum home page and scroll down the list of topics to the title ‘General Cruise Line Chat’, click on that and at the top in red you will see ‘New Topic’. Click on that and away you go.

Hope this helps :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 23 Oct 2022, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
daveoc14
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by daveoc14 »

Thanks for your answers folks. I think I shall be looking at booking deck 10, just a case of deciding which one now. Again, thanks.

Topic author
daveoc14
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by daveoc14 »

screwy wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 11:07
We were on deck 10. 10702 right by the aft stairs/lifts,the balcony was nice and big.No noise from the stairs/lifts, we were well pleased with it.
Did you experience any noise from deck 8 with the quays and people walking on the prom deck?. Was the view obscured in any way?. Thanks

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We heard no noise at all from the quays or other decks. Sitting on the balcony you look down on the prom deck and sunbathers but certainly no untoward noise. We found the cabin position perfect for the quays,prom deck and also the buffet and atrium.It is a bit of a trek to the crows nest.
Mel

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

screwy wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 20:02
Hi John, did you come across our friend Myra in the glasshouse.?
We did not use the glasshouse Screwy, I am not sure if they were serving food and we rarely drink during the day. In our opinion both the Glass House and the Keel and Cow are not ideal dining venues, they would be much better if the dining part was screened from the rest of the Atrium, and there would still be plenty of space for casual seating, for drinking or just relaxing.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

towny44 wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 19:01
barney wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 12:50
Having just returned from Iona I am not sure I would enjoy those corner hump balcoies, despite their huge size. Our cabin was midway between 2 of those cabins and the extended part is totally exposed to all the inbetweeners cabins. One person did use this part of the balcony, but those in the other one never ventured onto the exposed part. We had one of these booked pre covid but that cruise was cancelled and I am now glad it didn't go ahead.
We’re not bothered about exposure John 😂
If they can put up with us, we can put up with them.
We always go C or D on Ventura and Azura, both overlooked.
No worries 👍
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Certainly agree about D deck on Azura/Ventura. Lovely cabins.

Return to “About Iona”